Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to spec a T?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting that in the recent R&T article about the potential for a 992 T that August Achleitner, the 911’s chief engineer, is quoted saying that: “In the last half-year, I almost only drove a Carrera T [with a] manual and I love this car. It’s just pure. The only option I have beside the navigation system is a sunroof. Wonderful,” he said. Seems to imply that he didn't option RAS which is a bit of a surprise.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

You can see in my signature below the specs on my Carrera T.

I will comment on a couple of them:

Full leather T-Interior: This is my daily driver, and I didn't want an interior that I would like, I wanted an interior that I would LOVE, and the full leather with deviated stitching it is. Add to that the steering column in leather and dev stitching and it becomes a wonderful place to be.

Glass sunroof. I do like the way it lightens up the black interior. I always have the shade open, and gives a great sense of openness. Additionally, the all black roof looks great with GT Silver exterior.

RAS: It is such a great addition. I love being able to do a 1-point turn instead of a 3-point turn on a tight road.

Front Axle Lift: I hate having to baby the car going in and out of steeper parking lots to/from the road, and I would just could not get in and out of my garage without it. I use it every single day.

Auto-dimming mirrors and LCA: Great especially when driving at night. Adds an extra layer of security just in case.

Bose, heated seats / steering wheel and Multi-function steering wheel: A must for a daily driver.

Not listed below and not ordered originally but added after the fact, is the Sports Design spoiler. Love the way it looks!

In all, a perfect daily driver while still enjoying the benefits of the T, above the Base Carrera.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I had an equal S spec, I decided on the T because of less insulation, love the way it sounds when you start it up. Also the light weight glass.
i would have ordered the PDK with the S and sport brakes but went with MT and PCCB instead.

There will be a 992 T but I like 991.2 styling over 992

there will also be a Cayman T next year.

glad I got what I wanted with everything I wanted

proper spec for any Porsche is whatever you want
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my spec code. I did make two changes to this spec. 1. I added PCCB’s because I wanted to reduce unstrung/rotating weight. 2. I added the leather options. This sounds counter intuitive to my spec but I notivpced that the dash molding is gloss black but flat black on the doors. the leather/deviated option changes the door trim to shiny black matching the dash. My OCD was driving me nuts and made me add the option.
The other questionable option I added was LCA. I got this because my Cayman had the biggest blind spot of any car I had Ever driven. I can’t count how many times I almost ran over someone. So I went ahead and added LCA.

PKYUF6A0
Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

I didn’t get the auto dimming mirrors. Usually I would they are awesome. But since I tint my windows really dark since I moved back to Florida. I haven’t had a need for it.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:27 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
Interesting that in the recent R&T article ...
Originally Posted by Cyberbug
There will be a 992 T but I like 991.2 styling over 992
there will also be a Cayman T next year.
proper spec for any Porsche is whatever you want
I spoke to the above a little earlier in this other thread:
Another T? Maybe...
August also has a couple of GT3s in his garage, so he can get some mechanical goodness whenever he wants! The rest of us mortals have to just make do... I'm still not sure there will be a 992 T, especially with the Cayman T firming up. Time will tell and all good for us and the marque in the end.
Originally Posted by Copperhead37
Here is my spec code.... PKYUF6A0
Going to be sweet. I'm with you on the unsprung weight and rolling momentum. I know Porsche has done an excellent job with the engineering of their cars over the years negating the impact of inertia on handling, etc. But physics is physics, and the more you can reduce the penalties, the more energy your car can devote to other things.

Thanks, everyone. All the responses have been great and it's one of the reasons I wanted to write this thread in the first place: no wrong way to do it, and you can pretty much make the T into anything you want or be thrilled with. Even better if you are lucky enough to find it the way you want on a lot. It's pretty awesome when you think about it!
​​​​
Have a great Sunday, everyone!

S

Last edited by S S; 10-21-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Cleaning up post...
Old 10-21-2018, 04:38 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

T Interior
LWB
MT
RAS
PCCB
Fire Extinguisher

Upon arrival remove the speakers and replace the radio with a storage bin.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Nice, dude! Are you on the Bissu Highway pulling out on 22/23 OCT? You are coming up on 2 weeks out, if so. Good for you.
I'm V331 so should be on her. Here's the shipping schedule for Canada..

Old 10-21-2018, 05:03 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Back to the OP - best way to spec a T is as an S with X51 PowerKit and Sport Package. It's a waaay faster 911 on the street or on any track. For $13 k you get 22% more of torque and 22% more HP, and you get PDCC and bigger brakes. The S/X51 is less than 2% heavier, 13 mph higher top speed, and much faster in any acceleration test or track test. Oh, and better fuel economy with lower emissions too, if greenie points mean anything to you.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
My car is in port of Emden waiting to come over to Canada. I spec'd mine with the following for the reasons specified:

1. Carrera T interior w/4 way seats - I had buckets in my 18' GT3 and didn't like how rigid they were. If I were tracking the car all of the time, then hell yes. But I daily drive my cars and my kids occasionally ride in the rear seats...

2. Standard Sunroof - as its my daily and as I love my drives up to the cottage on side roads, I went with the option to see the sky and enjoy the sun/air. Nothing better than a late evening drive with the sunroof open...ahhh bliss. Secondly, as good as the all glass roof is for providing natural light, I don't like how it makes the entire roof black. To me, it looks like any other 911 with that roof. I like differentiation by having a 911T

3. RAS - from reviews I've read it seems to be the cats meow for the side road driving I love to do...

4. BOSE - I love my tunes...its nice to have both engine sound and Death Cab for Cutie playing...

5. Manual - of course

6. PDLS - a must on winding roads

7. PSP - its a $310 option...why not.

8. Sport Chrono - I like the wart

9. Auto Dimming Mirrors - no brainer

10. Front Seat Heating - its my daily in winter too...so yes. I'm bummed that I couldn't get ventilated seats without doing major seat changes...ugh. The only **** off...

11. Fire extinguisher and all free options - why not!

That's all folks.
PSP makes your steering lighter. Do you really want that? Also, I can’t fathom paying $300 for a different software setting on the steering. Because that’s all it is.

Otherwise, nice spec!
Old 10-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

I had psp on my cayman and loved it. It only makes the steering lighter when cruising slow thru a parking lot or something. When you are driving hard it turns up and you can feel the weight. I speced it on my T as well.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

PSP is extra power steering assist software applied at the factory. It is preferred by many women and perhaps some men with some physical impairments. PSP is generally not a plus when selling a 911, unless it is someone under 120-130 lbs or someone with a physical disability buying. Most guys will want/have to pay another $300 to get the PSP removed by reprogramming in a dealer service shop.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
PSP is extra power steering assist software applied at the factory. It is preferred by many women and perhaps some men with some physical impairments. PSP is generally not a plus when selling a 911, unless it is someone under 120-130 lbs or someone with a physical disability buying. Most guys will want/have to pay another $300 to get the PSP removed by reprogramming in a dealer service shop.
Bahahaha...I've never tried the option so why not. Or I could live my life specing my cars to the rennlist crowd...I know what I'd rather have.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Nevermind
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
...It's a waaay faster 911 on the street or on any track...
Nick "Not Even Close To A Professional Driver" Murray's Take On Some Things (and yeah, I get it is an apples to oranges comparo; still fruit, however):

Lunch. Ate. These cars are more than just pure numbers and percentages. They're feelings. If statistics is what drives your love of a street car, then have at it. Not for me to say.

We know you love your CJC Option w/X51 kit car, mano. Happy for you. You post about it loud and often; even in threads that have nothing to do with it, you know, like this one... Good for you. But between this post and then your trolling on the PSP follow-on one... To each their own. Ultimately, as was pointed out to you fairly nicely in a response given your questioning someone's manhood based on a fricken build option, that is what matters in the end. Thanks!

S

Quick Reply: How to spec a T?