Sponsored by:

How to spec a T?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts
Default How to spec a T?

Another weekend waiting for mine to arrive, another non-controversial post (I even used sarcasm font in case you didn't pick up on that...)

One of the things I have noticed in many posts are the wide spectrum of thoughts and opinions on how to spec a T. One of the really cool things about this car, unlike some others, is your ability to turn it into just what you want it to be. From fairly light weight and performance focused all the way up to fully loaded and cushy right from the factory. There is no wrong answer, but I'd be curious to hear from T owners or soon-to-be owners on why you bought or spec'd the way you did and to see what you did/how you like it. If you have your P Code, that would be great. If not, just let the collective know what you have and why you think it is best.

Here is mine: My Spec ... I went this route because I have long wanted a MT car with PCCB, RAS, and Full Buckets/Rear Seat delete. After testing a pretty loaded up MT car, I was even more convinced this was the way to go. The wait, while hard, is definitely a first world problem. Very lucky to be able to spec a car that has exactly what I want from the factory, regardless of how long it takes. Being able to get it at a reasonable price is the icing on top.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, where ever it finds you!

S
Old 10-20-2018, 08:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Great spec, but why no free smokers package? It gets you an extra 12v outlet.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evilfij
Great spec, but why no free smokers package? It gets you an extra 12v outlet.
Ha! "Unnecessary weight..." I usually only use the passenger footwell one for my battery tender...

S
Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I went with a little simpler spec. As you, no sunroof. I didn’t think PDLS was necessary but I did want LCA, Entry and Drive, and auto dimming mirrors. I absolutely love this car. Are you ordering from Porsche Austin?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

My car is in port of Emden waiting to come over to Canada. I spec'd mine with the following for the reasons specified:

1. Carrera T interior w/4 way seats - I had buckets in my 18' GT3 and didn't like how rigid they were. If I were tracking the car all of the time, then hell yes. But I daily drive my cars and my kids occasionally ride in the rear seats...

2. Standard Sunroof - as its my daily and as I love my drives up to the cottage on side roads, I went with the option to see the sky and enjoy the sun/air. Nothing better than a late evening drive with the sunroof open...ahhh bliss. Secondly, as good as the all glass roof is for providing natural light, I don't like how it makes the entire roof black. To me, it looks like any other 911 with that roof. I like differentiation by having a 911T

3. RAS - from reviews I've read it seems to be the cats meow for the side road driving I love to do...

4. BOSE - I love my tunes...its nice to have both engine sound and Death Cab for Cutie playing...

5. Manual - of course

6. PDLS - a must on winding roads

7. PSP - its a $310 option...why not.

8. Sport Chrono - I like the wart

9. Auto Dimming Mirrors - no brainer

10. Front Seat Heating - its my daily in winter too...so yes. I'm bummed that I couldn't get ventilated seats without doing major seat changes...ugh. The only **** off...

11. Fire extinguisher and all free options - why not!

That's all folks.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
My car is in port of Emden waiting to come over to Canada...
Nice, dude! Are you on the Bissu Highway pulling out on 22/23 OCT? You are coming up on 2 weeks out, if so. Good for you!

I am with you on the ventilated seats. Really loved having them and will definitely miss them for sure, extra weight or not.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:10 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Great Spec! I went a very similar route although I bought mine pre-configured on somewhat of a whim.

Mine has :
-Manual - Must ( Also gets you a mechanical diff- felt great on track yesterday)
-RAS- Must
-PDLS-Not a must but I like it
-No Sunroof-Must
-Sport Chrono - Take it or leave it
-A few other freebees

Regrets
Wish I had PCCB - Brake dust with steel brakes is insane - plus I love the stopping power although standards work fine
I'm mixed on the seats. I have 18 way. My last two GT3s had the Buckets. I love the feel but hated getting in and out so at this point I'm very happy with the seats I have ( I think)

These are really great cars and for me less on them is more. These turbo motors are a blast and the RAS makes it feel much smaller and very nimble- like my old 993- but much faster and better handling.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Tass
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Nice, dude! Are you on the Bissu Highway pulling out on 22/23 OCT? You are coming up on 2 weeks out, if so. Good for you!

I am with you on the ventilated seats. Really loved having them and will definitely miss them for sure, extra weight or not.
I'm on the Bissu Highway as well, headed to Canada in a few days

Manual, LWB, PCCB, RAS, Sport Chrono clock, fire extinguisher, plus the freebies: smokers package and leather ( I think ) on the pass side dash. I can't find my code but I think that's it. I kept the light weight glass too. I wouldn't have considered this car if LWB's weren't available but that's just me, I ended up trading in my previous GT4 with sofa's on one with LWB's just for the seats. I just came back from Euro delivery, 2000km's in 2 weeks with up to 7 hours driving per day and no complaints on the seats, no complaints on the car at all, love it!
Old 10-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

How to spec a T? Exactly the way you want it Here is mine: http://www.porsche-code.com/PK3PII99

Reasons:
  • I wanted black (there is just something about a black 911)
  • I wanted all the go fast goodies and will be tuning eventually, so PCCB was a must
  • RAS because it makes the car "feel smaller" like an older 911
  • I love to put the windows down in the fall/spring so a metal sunroof for me
  • I wanted all of the creature comforts, so 18-ways, full leather (with T interior trim), and Burmester
  • I wanted to shift her myself
  • Wanted LEDs on the inside and outside
I know, not for everyone, but I am gonna love it... eventually -- this wait is driving me nutz!!! Still have 2-3 months to go... ugh.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slvr993
These are really great cars and for me less on them is more. These turbo motors are a blast and the RAS makes it feel much smaller and very nimble- like my old 993- but much faster and better handling.
Good for you for finding a good one and for getting her out to the track!

Originally Posted by Tass
I'm on the Bissu Highway as well, headed to Canada in a few days
Good for you too, man! Jealous of the ED and pending delivery. Soon!

Originally Posted by Chris - 97C2
How to spec a T? Exactly the way you want it
Truth! Totally with you on the seats and the wait... GREAT looking build, man. Well done!

S
Old 10-20-2018, 03:21 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

- Racing Yellow (est delivery late December)
- Black satin wheel (I like the standard Titanium that ties in with other gray accents but I wanted to add a little visual strength to a fun color car)
- MT
- Standard 4 way seat (didn’t like the alternatives enough to pay up)
- Bi-Xenon PDLS
- Tinted Tailight
- RAS (“nimble” and “feels small” often described in posts spoke to me)
- Bose (not really convinced but didn’t want to regret later not getting)
- Chrono (I like the clock)
- interior light pkg (sharp lights)
- Dimming mirrior
- Smokers pkg (like flush surface)
- Passenger side net (free)
- Heated Seats (use often)
- Heated MF steering wheel (besides functionality I liked more more screws/bolts in each insert)

Things I considered on the fence but ultimately went against:
- Alcantara steering wheel (I love Alcantara then just recently learned that it costs fraction of leather, turned me off. So I’m getting leather free now and I might pick up a Alcantara as an extra later, easy enough to swap)
- Rear wiper (weight argument meant nothing to me. I initially wanted for functionality but I was ultimately sold on “very clear” gorilla glass. Also it adds to the list of options reserved for T beyond C2)
- LCA (I considered it initially as I find myself more and more dependent on sensors in my cars, but I want to be “manually” alert in my T)
- sunroof (I only wanted it for black glass top. I never use sunroof and if I want a black too, I can wrap later)
- Keyless (I consider this as top 2 best convenience features in history of cars besides power windows BUT I wanted the action of sticking the key in and turning it to strat
the car as I did on my 996)

as you said no wrong way to spec any car...
Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I wonder if anyone had the guts to get a stripped down T with 0 options. I guess buckets and pccb is -2 options because they both shave weight
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
as you said no wrong way to spec any car...
Yellow and black will look great. Even more so it you decide to do some tint on the windows...
Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I wonder if anyone had the guts to get a stripped down T with 0 options. I guess buckets and pccb is -2 options because they both shave weight
Not this guy! And I did rationalize my seats and PCCBs as weight savers.

S
Old 10-20-2018, 07:17 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Tass
I'm on the Bissu Highway as well, headed to Canada in a few days.
I think I am as well! I'll confirm with my SA as he told me I flipped to V331 and at Port of Emden.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I probably optioned mine the the most, the proper way to option it which ever way you want it.

I like the base engine but I also wanted some goodies so the T was perfect, but I went over board in option because I wanted to. Over $48K in options and very happy with my decision. And lots of extras already planned and mostly bought.

did not get:
PDK
Sunroof or glass roof
wiper or thick glass

PCCB and MT save weight, I Lost 15lbs my self. Lithium battery will also save weight

Quick Reply: How to spec a T?