Sponsored by:

Update on PEC-ATL

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Default Update on PEC-ATL

My fifth time thrashing a Porsche on PEC-ATL's track today. Every time I fly through Atlanta, I make sure I coordinate my scheduled flights to allow sufficient time to hop on over, have some fun and test a different car each time.

Info I learned today:
1. They are expecting 992s to arrive in January.
2. The only manuals you can get now is for the 911T. Last four times I went, I just asked for a manual and they trotted one out. Not so anymore. The reason is that all the noobie customers (my words) already have too much to focus on without worrying about shifting. Sad.
3. They have plans to expand the track significantly. Completion in about 18 months.

Sources: 1 and 2 came from the Track Ops Manager. He has only been in the job for a week and I am not sure what job he had before this one. 3. came from the bar tender at restaurant 356 - lol. I had to post the source so you can judge for yourself the veracity of the information....but I have no reason to doubt them.

Last week, I got crushed by a 718 GTS on the interstate while I was in my 991.2C4. (we were just playing). I was shocked at how fast it was so I decided to take out a Base 718 at PEC-ATL since I had not driven one yet. I friggin had a blast. That car was awesome.

I have new respect for the 718s. Previously, I threw around a lot of hate because of the sound and the downsizing to a 4 cylinder but man was it fun to drive. I hope Porsche keeps the Cayman/Boxster lineup.

I was lapping the noob GT3 drivers which felt really good. When we got back, the instructor in the GT3 that I passed got out of his car, pointed at me and gave me two thumbs up.....which made me feel even better. I am really a noob track guy too. Of course the short technical track favors the mid-engine cars and negates to some degree the advantage of the higher HP cars.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

What is the cost to "hop on over" for some fun?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:36 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
More expensive than it was when I was interested a year ago.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skiahh
$350 - $950 per 90 minutes depending on which option you get. C2S is $475. Base 718 was $350. 911 Turbo and GT3 combo (for 90 min is $950)

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...ta/experiences

Old 10-18-2018, 07:29 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m calling bs on 3. If you make a triangle around the facility two of the sides are right up against major roads, the third side is the airport property. I just don’t see any room for expansion.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
... I decided to take out a Base 718 at PEC-ATL since I had not driven one yet. I friggin had a blast. That car was awesome.

I have new respect for the 718s. Previously, I threw around a lot of hate because of the sound and the downsizing to a 4 cylinder but man was it fun to drive. I hope Porsche keeps the Cayman/Boxster lineup.
Nice. I test drove a 718S and enjoyed it. Although it does sound funny, it's no joke.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I’m calling bs on 3. If you make a triangle around the facility two of the sides are right up against major roads, the third side is the airport property. I just don’t see any room for expansion.
Yeah, I see your point (looking at an early google image of the site). There might be some room to the west before the airport property but not much....or maybe a bit to the east before the I75 on ramp.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

The 718 is excellent, I had a good track session in the 718S back to back with the M2 a couple of years ago. I was blown away with the 718S, great package, really responsive engine, well braked and also put over three seconds a minute on the M2 (my times for both). Great drivers car - feels compact, light and nimble.

Can't go wrong with a Cayman (I still have one tucked away).
Old 10-19-2018, 09:35 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

My fifth time thrashing a Porsche on PEC-ATL's track today. Every time I fly through Atlanta, I make sure I coordinate my scheduled flights to allow sufficient time to hop on over, have some fun and test a different car each time.

Info I learned today:
2. The only manuals you can get now is for the 911T. Last four times I went, I just asked for a manual and they trotted one out. Not so anymore. The reason is that all the noobie customers (my words) already have too much to focus on without worrying about shifting. Sad.
3. They have plans to expand the track significantly. Completion in about 18 months.

Sources: 1 and 2 came from the Track Ops Manager. He has only been in the job for a week and I am not sure what job he had before this one. 3. came from the bar tender at restaurant 356 - lol. I had to post the source so you can judge for yourself the veracity of the information....but I have no reason to doubt them.

Last week, I got crushed by a 718 GTS on the interstate while I was in my 991.2C4. (we were just playing). I was shocked at how fast it was so I decided to take out a Base 718 at PEC-ATL since I had not driven one yet. I friggin had a blast. That car was awesome.

I was lapping the noob GT3 drivers which felt really good. When we got back, the instructor in the GT3 that I passed got out of his car, pointed at me and gave me two thumbs up.....which made me feel even better. I am really a noob track guy too. Of course the short technical track favors the mid-engine cars and negates to some degree the advantage of the higher HP cars.
Bring your car out to NOLA Motorsports for real fun!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Info I learned today:

OT:

I just had a base 718 Cayman as a loaner. Car was shockingly good. It sounded bloody awful, and then I learned on the 718 forum that, like my GTI and other VAG products, Porsche is using a true electronic soundaktor on the 718! Ugh!! Fake sound piped into the cabin. Nasty!!! It's the first thing that I removed on my GTI. Sounds to much better. I'd love to have a go in a 718 without the Soundaktor. Car is a fun little thing, they've really honed the Cayman chassis now and even the 2.0 engine is quick. Too bad it was $70k...
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I just had a base 718 Cayman as a loaner. Car was shockingly good. It sounded bloody awful, and then I learned on the 718 forum that, like my GTI and other VAG products, Porsche is using a true electronic soundaktor on the 718! Ugh!! Fake sound piped into the cabin. Nasty!!! It's the first thing that I removed on my GTI. Sounds to much better. I'd love to have a go in a 718 without the Soundaktor. Car is a fun little thing, they've really honed the Cayman chassis now and even the 2.0 engine is quick. Too bad it was $70k...
Only takes about 5-10 minutes to disconnect/reconnect it if you get another 718 loaner. And the GTS models don't have it at all.

I'm curious to drive one without it as well. Should have done it on my friend's 718 Cayman S when we were at the track this week.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

How can you lap anyone? At PEC-LA the instructor made me back off continually when I kept getting closer to slower drivers in front. Kind of made the road course suck. The other parts were fun.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Only takes about 5-10 minutes to disconnect/reconnect it if you get another 718 loaner. And the GTS models don't have it at all.

I'm curious to drive one without it as well. Should have done it on my friend's 718 Cayman S when we were at the track this week.
I saw a thread in the 718 forum that the 2019's don't have the connector in the trunk any more, and you have to pull off the carpet on the firewall to disconnect the speaker. A bit of a PITA.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I saw a thread in the 718 forum that the 2019's don't have the connector in the trunk any more, and you have to pull off the carpet on the firewall to disconnect the speaker. A bit of a PITA.
Yikes. I was not aware of the change on the 2019s. Why, Porsche? Why?!?!

Porsche knows it sucks, otherwise they wouldn't have removed it from the GTS. I swear it is a conspiracy to keep the Boxster/Cayman down!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DY369
How can you lap anyone? At PEC-LA the instructor made me back off continually when I kept getting closer to slower drivers in front. Kind of made the road course suck. The other parts were fun.
Does PEC-LA have different rules? Every time I have been at ATL, I have passed people. There are two passing zones which they brief you on in advance. I just stayed on the butt of the GT3 (the instructor in the car in front will see you), and then they pull to the right and slow down in one of the passing zones.......I blow past them and wave.

Maybe the track at LA doesn't have sufficient straights to pass?

Quick Reply: Update on PEC-ATL