Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to understand the Carrera T spoiler opening/closing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018 | 08:04 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Question Trying to understand the Carrera T spoiler opening/closing...

Hey all,

So I have noticed in my rear view mirror at times the spoiler opening or already in the up position or not open at all at many different various speeds/rpms. Are there very specific speeds and/or are they related to what mode I'm in when the spoiler opens and closes?

It seems to open and close whenever it wants. I remember my other Carreras and my Cayman S opened and closed at specific speeds (cannot remember what those were)....

Thanks

Old 10-13-2018 | 08:18 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Talking

My impression is that driving mode does matter because oil temps are lower in sport or sport +. The spoiler is part of the cooling system. Therefore, the spoiler activates at lower speeds in normal mode. It’s a complex function of speed, engine load, ambient conditions, and driving mode. God only knows how Porsche programed this.

Last edited by Pep!RRRR; 10-13-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2018 | 09:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

It opens and closes differently on all the 991.2 models because the spoiler also partially covers the intakes to the intercoolers. Take a look underneath with it raised. Some air gets through the vertical rear grill to the intercoolers with it down, but when the intercoolers need more air the car will raise the spoiler (which also now has an air dam at the rear to force the air down into the intercooler).

It seems to consider a combination of outside temperature and how deep you are pressing your foot in the throttle to determine when it needs to feed the additional air to the intercoolers. It will still always open for aerodynamic purposes at around 75mph like it did on prior models.

So in other words, if yours is popping up and down at lot at lower speeds, it is an indication you are having more fun with the car.
Old 10-15-2018 | 09:44 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

It depends on the speed, the mode selected, the engine temperature, the sunroof position... and the music playin!

Old 10-16-2018 | 06:18 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Given that the radiators are in the front of the car, I don't think the spoiler has anything to do with the cooling system. However, the positionof the spoiler does affect airflow to the intercoolers. When the spoiler deploys it directs more air towards them. And when the engine senses intake air temperature getting high, it will open the spoiler at any speed.

Quick Reply: Trying to understand the Carrera T spoiler opening/closing...