Sponsored by:

911 T at the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 911 T at the track

I had a chance to get the Carrera T out at VIR on Monday and just thought I would share some quick thoughts..
I have RAS and bucket seats on my T
I have the standard brakes, as delivered from factory alignment, and no other mods except:
Pagid RS29 pads and SRF fluid
Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires.

Brakes were fine....I was worried I would want bigger brakes but honestly the standard size brakes with the SRF and Pagid pads were just fine.
My braking points were really no different from when I had my GT4 there a couple years ago.
I haven't had the chance to look at the data comparison from when I had the GT4 on track but the lap times I was surprised by the T considering the GT4 is more track focused.
There was some understeer but I think if I kept working with the tire pressures I would have gotten that dialed down a little more.
I was really there to just have fun and not be so concerned with optimal set up and lap times.
The weather was ok overall but it was pretty warm and humid. We did get some rain on and off.
Oil temps were a little high but not too bad if I remember right...
I never really got a clean lap but even so I had some high 2:07 times and pretty consistent 2:08-2:09's.
Considering I ran some high 2:06's in the GT4 with the same tires (Cup 2) but with an alignment and toe links to allow for better alignment (keeping in mind different track conditions and it was 2 years ago), bigger brakes, better aero, etc I think the Carrera T can hang with a GT4 with equal drivers.
I will say the GT4 is a bit easier to manage on track but the T is certainly not difficult, just different (obviously being rear engined).
I also had a roll bar and harnesses in the GT4 which really make it easier to just drive and not try to hold yourself in place or have other safety worries (like no HANS). Having a roll bar and harnesses in the T would be nice...
Since I had run 2:03's with the GT4 on Hoosier R7, I would venture to say I can match that in the T with the same tires. Will I do that, probably not, as I am not tracking much anymore. As a matter of fact the last time I was at the track was a year ago in my M3...
Tracking once or twice a year doesn't really justify doing mods for track duty...
I know most people would never cross shop the 2 cars but I am just offering my observations on track since I have owned both.

So in summary:
Standard brakes with SRF and Pagid pads are sufficient for track duty (at least at VIR which has some very heavy breaking from high speeds - not sure how it would compare with some other tracks where some people say that even the S brakes aren't sufficient....)
The T is a very capable car even on track...
Imagine with a tune and better alignment and maybe hoosiers.....
For me I will enjoy the car as it is for while. Maybe a tune later on but not really sure if I need it.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:40 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Thanks for sharing, man. I am definitely contemplating a bar and harness for mine and a tune at some point. Appreciate the above.

S
Old 10-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I know most people would never cross shop the 2 cars but I am just offering my observations on track since I have owned both.
Yeah...maybe "most" wouldn't but some of us would and appreciate the comparison.

I cross shopped a 2016 GT4, 2018 718 GTS and 2018 Carrera T and went with the 718. Thoughts are to use it primarily as an AutoX and HPDE car. Really wanted the PDK for the track and not quite enamored by a wing, if I can get away without it. The easy torque was just intoxicating. The 718 has been an AutoX champ with stock Michelin PS4S tires and fluids/pads and doing my first HPDE with it in a couple weeks. Looking forward to the new GT4 to see if it changes my calculus at all.

Still thinking of the MT Carrera T for weekend drives and the back (non) seat would help with some bulky storage that the 718 can't handle. ( Been having trouble cramming my guitar in the 718, knew I should have taken up the violin instead )
Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^ Roof Rack and Bungies!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:02 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
^^^ Roof Rack and Bungies!

Great suggestion but that is where I keep my kids and dog.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:04 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Oh and I forgot to mention that the sessions were 40 minutes long and no braking or cooling issues to speak of...
and I don’t drive like it’s a Sunday cruise...
Old 10-13-2018, 04:06 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Semitone
Yeah...maybe "most" wouldn't but some of us would and appreciate the comparison.

I cross shopped a 2016 GT4, 2018 718 GTS and 2018 Carrera T and went with the 718. Thought's are to use it as primarily an AutoX and HPDE car. Really wanted the PDK for the track and not quite enamored by a wing, if I can get away without it. The easy torque was just intoxicating. The 718 has been an AutoX champ with stock Michelin PS4S tires and fluids/pads and doing my first HPDE with it in a couple weeks. Looking forward to the new GT4 to see if it changes my calculus at all.

Still thinking of the MT Carrera T for weekend drives and the back (non) seat would help with some bulky storage that the 718 can't handle. ( Been having trouble cramming my guitar in the 718, knew I should have taken up the violin instead )
the 718 GTS is a fantastic car! I only test drove it a little and it was pdk (I prefer the manual) but it felt very nimble. Good choice!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

How did the Cup 2s hold up? Were they N1 or N0’s? Do you know what your stock alignment values are?

Thanks for the report! I’m thinking to try my T at a couple tracks in the coming year, esp. where the extra power relative to my Cayman track car would be beneficial.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Thank you. I can share the same experience. It was hot in Houston today, 93F so not ideal temp. Can’t wait for the cold front to arrive Monday.

I have done nothing, stock pads, stock fluids and Michelin 4S tires. In my 996 GT3 which was well set up and with AD08R or R888 tires I would do 1:44/45 laps in these conditions at MSR Houston, first time out in the T and I did 1:46/47. Car ran great, no brake fade and solid but only drove 17-20 min sessions. Tires got greasy. I experience the same understeer into corners and some push if I didn’t have the steering straight when I started to accelerate hard out of tighter corner. In the next month, I do plan to change my camber and toe a little to improve and eliminate the understear.
I have the DSC and last week I asked Tom at TPC on what I should change in the settings to reduce dip during braking, he told me to send my base file to him, he sent back two files, firm and extra firm. I loaded the firm before the weekend I had very little dip/dive under braking. Car suspension is fantastic.

My friend has a BMW M3 that with the 996 I would be 1-2 sec faster, but today we ran the same time. In the 996 I could pull on him at end of straight but the T wasn’t able too. A tune will fix that.
Overalll I’m very happy with the car, as I’m in same position as OP, decided on something less track focused and more daily driving and the T is the perfect car for me now.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-14-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:58 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

When tracking, remove the toolboxes on either side of luggage compartment. One of mine fell out.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,015 Likes on 644 Posts

what oil temp did you get to?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:58 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

I never checked the digital readout, only looked at analog water temp which always stayed below 200F.

I had my tire pressure gauge up. Porsche must have filled with nitrogen, I only got 3 psi increase vs 8-9 psi in my GT3, but no green cap on valve stem. So first couple of sessions got caught out with too low tire pressure.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 911 T at the track