Sponsored by:

Need new rears....what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Interesting mixture of comments. Seems to be leaning toward the sign of stick with the Pirellis for now.

Took me 2 years to put on 8k miles. I'm leaning toward switching all 4 only because I don't really want to wait another two years to get better tires. Going to see if anyone local is interested. May end up staying with the Pirellis but I doubt it. I've never loved them, even when they were almost new (bought car with new fronts, rears with 1k).
Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Buy two new PZeros in the 305. They are no louder than the Michelins. All old tires get loud. Then, in 9,000 more miles, replace all four with the flavor of the year winner.
Exactly. My rear Pzeros were pretty much gone at 14k miles. And the car was LOUD. Two new Pzeros fitted at the rear of the car and it was much, much quieter. When these tires are gone, the fronts will be near needing replacement and I may try the Michelins at that point. The Pirellis have behaved very well, including driving in moderate to heavy rain on the highway with 14k miles on the rears. No perceptible loss of traction despite hitting standing water on multiple occasions. I heard someone mention this, and I do prefer the way the sidewall/rim saver portion of the tire looks on our wheels better than the Michelins.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
Exactly. My rear Pzeros were pretty much gone at 14k miles. And the car was LOUD. Two new Pzeros fitted at the rear of the car and it was much, much quieter. When these tires are gone, the fronts will be near needing replacement and I may try the Michelins at that point. The Pirellis have behaved very well, including driving in moderate to heavy rain on the highway with 14k miles on the rears. No perceptible loss of traction despite hitting standing water on multiple occasions. I heard someone mention this, and I do prefer the way the sidewall/rim saver portion of the tire looks on our wheels better than the Michelins.
You'll need N1 michelins for the rim protector.. Non N rated Pirelli's don't have this and bulge like a balloon.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

i picked up my car with zero miles on the fronts and 1k on the rears. I wouldnt say it’s gotten that much louder. The car has always been loud on the concrete highways. Possibly because it’s a cab?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

i picked up my car with zero miles on the fronts and 1k on the rears. I wouldnt say it’s gotten that much louder. The car has always been loud on the concrete highways. Possibly because it’s a cab?
My coupe would have tire howl w/ the pirellis depending on pavement.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Buy two new PZeros in the 305. They are no louder than the Michelins. All old tires get loud. Then, in 9,000 more miles, replace all four with the flavor of the year winner.
+1
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM
achtung6
Racer

Originally Posted by Psorcery
My coupe would have tire howl w/ the pirellis depending on pavement.
That's interesting. I find that my car can be incredibly loud over rough pavement and very quiet over smooth asphalt. I've only had Pirelli's though. Are you saying that the Pirelli's are more sensitive to the pavement surface than another tire? I knew that the Pirelli's get very loud as they get worn close to the wear bars but figured "the car" was just gonna be loud on rough pavement or asphalt.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
achtung6
Racer

I can tell you the difference in noise irrespective of road surface was very noticeable from Pzeros with 14k miles to brand new ones. A dramatic difference. I've never been in a 911 cab so I wouldn't speculate on the general noise level of the cabin.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:54 PM
achtung6
Racer

Originally Posted by Psorcery
You'll need N1 michelins for the rim protector.. Non N rated Pirelli's don't have this and bulge like a balloon.
Very good to know! When I checked on the PSS4 Michelins a while back, there was no Porsche spec available. I will definitely consider them now that I know there's an N1 spec to replace my N1 Pzeros.
Thanks!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:55 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Probably just age difference. Both tires have been tested and generate the same amount of noise. I'm going Michelin next spring just for a change. Probably wont be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:14 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't mean to hijack, but I believe this post is a part of the conversation.

Looking at the tire rack site, I see two P zeros listed. One is N 0, the other is N 1.

What is the difference
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Psorcery
Banned

That's interesting. I find that my car can be incredibly loud over rough pavement and very quiet over smooth asphalt. I've only had Pirelli's though. Are you saying that the Pirelli's are more sensitive to the pavement surface than another tire? I knew that the Pirelli's get very loud as they get worn close to the wear bars but figured "the car" was just gonna be loud on rough pavement or asphalt.
So far that's what I've noticed. I've only got 200 miles on my new Cup 2's but they're much smooooother than the pirellis on all types of pavement.. You're right about the Pirellis and asphalt, they stayed quiet over asphalt even when lower on tread. Concrete and rough surfaces really made me dislike the drive.

I've had a couple interior rattles go away since installing the Michelins. Not sure if that has a direct effect or not because the rattles came from audio bass.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What's the consensus on 295 vs 305 Rears?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:29 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the consensus on 295 vs 305 Rears?
I’d go for the 295s. Cheaper, lighter and wide enough. Made that choice on the 997 too.

Quick Reply: Need new rears....what to do?