Stone Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

...while I have them, I dont prefer the look either. However, after catching 1-2 small rock chips on my new PPF install I started thinking of a solution that would be less costly than annual repairs of PPF in that high impact area. When I came across the magnetic stone guards for $80 or less I...
Hmmm... for folks that don’t like the look but like the protection... I wonder if, given sufficient numbers, the proprieter of Magnagrafik would do a run of ‘standard’ colors? I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t take more than a dozen for each color. And, it’s not like there are a lot of standard colors.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

Hmmm... for folks that don’t like the look but like the protection... I wonder if, given sufficient numbers, the proprieter of Magnagrafik would do a run of ‘standard’ colors? I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t take more than a dozen for each color. And, it’s not like there are a lot of standard colors.

Wondered the same thing. I wish I had a dollar for every time my wife has asked if we can get them to match the paint color of the car.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

Wondered the same thing. I wish I had a dollar for every time my wife has asked if we can get them to match the paint color of the car.
I'd be curious to see this but my impression is that it would look off. It would be very difficult to get the colors matching exactly (especially considering different materials) and I imagine it looking like a guy that wears a blue blazer and they buys some random blue pants in an effort to make it look like a suit...but it doesn't quite match.

Last edited by Wujohn; 01-30-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It would be hard to match the color of the car and honestly they don't look that bad, I was going have a set made in agate grey but these look fine in black. I rather have them for protection then not and deal with PPF or Paint damage. the area is significant enough that there is factory ppf in that area.
The magnetic part makes it nice to take off and clean the area and edges.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I'd be curious to see this but my impression is that it would look off. It would be very difficult to get the colors matching exactly (especially considering different materials) and I imagine it looking like a guy that wears a blue blazer and they buys some random blue pants in an effort to make it look like a suit...but it doesn't quiet match.

I would have to agree!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

MagnaGraphix - His website is old/not updated so just call him. Nice guy but took forever to get them. If you order, just be sure to follow up in a few weeks to remind him to ship. I really think they look much better in person.
Ordered a set based upon your recommendation! My vinyl ones are yellowed, and on my white car they look like garbage.

Looking forward to taking a hair dryer to them and slapping these on.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 PM
drive95
Instructor

Originally Posted by granjour
The magnet rock guards from Magnagrafik are really nice. Take them off every wash and reapply.

Took mine about 6 weeks from ordering to arriving, Dan mentioned he was waiting for materials. Love it
Love that setup! I want the cargo transport system pretty badly
Old 01-30-2019, 03:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I'd be curious to see this but my impression is that it would look off. It would be very difficult to get the colors matching exactly (especially considering different materials) and I imagine it looking like a guy that wears a blue blazer and they buys some random blue pants in an effort to make it look like a suit...but it doesn't quiet match.
This, undoubtedly, would be true. But, it would offer a solution with much lower contrast for the bright colors. The lower contrast might be sufficient for many.

I’ve got no dog in this hunt. I’m fine with my black over agate.

Wait... no, I will put a dog in this hunt. I wanted to put a set on the wife’s 991 but she didn’t like the look. I’ll bet I could stick a close-to-rhodium silver set on it and she wouldn’t notice for weeks. (~4 PSI in a tire she’ll notice in 5-10 minutes but a big discolored blob on the paint, nope.)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

This, undoubtedly, would be true. But, it would offer a solution with much lower contrast for the bright colors. The lower contrast might be sufficient for many.

I’ve got no dog in this hunt. I’m fine with my black over agate.

Wait... no, I will put a dog in this hunt. I wanted to put a set on the wife’s 991 but she didn’t like the look. I’ll bet I could stick a close-to-rhodium silver set on it and she wouldn’t notice for weeks. (~4 PSI in a tire she’ll notice in 5-10 minutes but a big discolored blob on the paint, nope.)

I've got the Rhodium Silver and I like the look...I have the black glass sunroof, door handles, and rims so perhaps that is why. I just plasti-dipped my porsche logo and now I just need to change out my license plate for the classic black one they used 40 years ago in the golden state and I'll be set. For the days that I don't like it, they just pull right off ;-).

A side note to anyone getting these - be sure to remove them if they get very wet/get rained on and dry them off.

Last edited by Wujohn; 01-30-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM
drive95
Instructor

Had a chance to remove the gross yellowing plastic stone guards that were on my car (kind of a PITA to do) and replace with a set of Magnagrafik magnetic guards. Super happy with the look!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by drive95
Had a chance to remove the gross yellowing plastic stone guards that were on my car (kind of a PITA to do) and replace with a set of Magnagrafik magnetic guards. Super happy with the look!

Hard to beat on White. Great looking 911!
Old 08-27-2020, 06:03 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Curious to get updates from folks who have been using the MagnaGrafik magnetic guards on 991 for a while now. I just received a set from a friend who never put them on his car
- How are they working for you?
- Are you leaving them on all of the time - instructions warn against doing so because of risk of variation in UV light exposure of exposed vs. covered paint. Sounds a bit extreme to me. My car is garaged unless it's out and about.
- How about removing when wet? Again instructions warn against leaving them on because they can trap moisture. This seems like a reasonable precaution maybe. What are y'all doing on this one?

Any general thoughts, usage, etc. are all welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:40 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been thinking of those also, but wonder if they'd stick properly over the factory stone guard film.
My car is only 1 year old and that area is only protected by the factory film. I have not had a PPF installed on the rear of the car.
Has anybody installed them over the factory guard, do they stick strongly enough?

Danny
Old 08-27-2020, 10:45 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyss
I've been thinking of those also, but wonder if they'd stick properly over the factory stone guard film.
My car is only 1 year old and that area is only protected by the factory film. I have not had a PPF installed on the rear of the car.
Has anybody installed them over the factory guard, do they stick strongly enough?

Danny
i can attest that they do fit well over the factory guard without a problem and won’t fly away even after a triple digit run

i have now removed my yellowing factory guards.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:50 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Desmotesta,
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Stone Guards