Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you see the 992 affecting the Carrera T resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am biased but I'm not sure about that comparison to the anniversary car. Anniversary car won't be available in the 992. I would bet that there will be a 992T. Also,the anniversary cars came with a free PTS unless you took black as well as unique wheels and other trim. Also,the anniversary cars were based on the fastest Carrera's ( ie GTS) and not the slowest. I also (personally) think the NA engine helps it hold value. Only 650 anniversary cars in NA and all have an individual limitation number. How many T's in NA? And lastly, the 650 NA cars came standard with the power kit. The rest of the world cars had this as a very expensive option with a very low take rate. That means only 650 cars in the world. How many T's in the world? But then again I am biased.
The following users liked this post:
rwschill (12-18-2019)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Next anniversary car would be available 2023-2024, 60 year anniversary, last of the 992 cars. It was based on S car, not gts, so not the fastest car. Very nice car indeed. Us version had the power kit, others as an extra cost option. 1963 cars were produced, about 1/3 went to us. Unique trim for T, just like anniversary. Ofcourse NA engine for anniversary, T has shorter gear ratios etc. Lighter glass for T, not for anniversary. We do not know how many Ts will be produced, but they cannot produce them very long, because the 992 is coming very soon.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:45 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, Porsche lovers are their own worst enemies.

Are you buying a great car for the driving experience or an investment to flip or park in your garage?

As my dad, who was big into buying and selling antique furniture, always used to say - " the value of something isn't what you think or what someone says it should be, it's only as much as someone is willing to pay"

It's a car and a great one at that! Don't let your concern about the investment, overshadow the driving experience that you paid to have it in the first place.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Um Northern you are incorrect. The anniversary is based on the GTS. Wide body rwd. You are wrong on many fronts. I am not putting down the T but the anniversary car is far more special. Again, I am biased.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Bacura, the anniversary car is a great car, and it might be just a little bit more special than T, because of the numberings of the cars. However, the production run with the T might be just about the same as anniversary model. That is, in my opinion the only thing that counts for the future valuations of the T.

here is a good link about anniversary model, you need to check your facts.
https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/73...edition-review
Old 09-29-2018, 05:42 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

The evo article is incorrect. It is based on the GTS. It is the wide body. I assume they are referring to the engine because the british cars came with the S engine. The NA cars came with the GTS engine. I assure you I am correct.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,322 Likes on 488 Posts

If rumours are true that in future, manual transmission will only be available on GT 911 cars, then this may help the future value of manual Carrera Ts.

Not that I’m bothered, as my T is a daily driver likely to do 15k to 18k miles per year, so no-one will be clamouring to buy my T in years to come.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

I went into my T purchase with the mindset that it is a dpreciating asset... and it depends where u live and how much its been driven. I dont think it will be easy for me to sell a RWD manual car in chicago. A C4 would sell 5x faster for the same money. I would have to sell private and probably out of state to recoup more $ than a base, at least here. I will be thrilled if my residual value is 60% after 3 years with 15k miles and i walk away with a good chunk of change for downpayment on another 911 plus all the money om mods/ppf/wearables etc goes down the toilet. Totally worth it for smiles/gallon. Dust off, rinse, repeat.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

The T it’s just another 911.
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (12-19-2019)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
The T it’s just another 911.
This, what is it about the T model that is seems to be such a threat to all the other models, or rather the owners of other models? Why are you compelled to say what you've said?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,036 Likes on 656 Posts

^Probably because he's accurate - these are Carreras, they are not collectibles.

You're better off driving them and having fun - thereby ameliorating the depreciation with fun

The Ts a lot better offering than the previous run out "black editions" nontheless it sits between the base and the S - so hop in, drive and enjoy.

Why because they're all good

Last edited by groundhog; 10-01-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,322 Likes on 488 Posts

^^^ Define “collectible”

As for me, I had no impression that my T would hold its value, or even appreciate, like a GT car.

Cars depreciate. Apart from the rare exception. And even GT cars (991 GT3s etc) may soon start to fall back to list price or below.

Here in the UK, there’s a plethora of GT3s on the Porsche Approved (used car) site.

My T is for fun daily driving and on that front, it’s 100% successful.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

T is just a special model like so many before it and so many to come.

the T was introduced october 2017 at Paris Auto show, (they just introduced the Speedster there)

first production car released in February 2018 and the last will probbaly be February 2019. Not bad only 12 month production.

How many have been produced and how many do we expect? Porsche hasn’t limited it but that doesn’t mean that the number would not be low.

Someone track that production run.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 AM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I really enjoy the affect the T is having on the Porsche community as a whole. I personally enjoyed and preferred my 981 Cayman over all modern 911’s except the GT cars, until I drove a T. The reason I looked at, researched and ultimately drove and ordered a T was because in my opinion it is a very special 911 That handles and drives just as good as my mid engine cayman but with more power and torque as well as better options.(some of which can not be had on say a GTS) That said opinions are just that each person forms there own. I have noticed that there is a very large segment of Porsche enthusiasts that don’t understand the car, don’t like the car, and/or run the car down in various ways. I have seen it on multiple boards and forums. Frankly I don’t mind because that means there will be less of them sold.
The collectibility argument is rather simple. The less cars produced = less cars that survive = increased value long term.
Look at the 308 Ferrari (magnum pi car) not desirable and a lot made. Ten years ago a decent example was 35,000 today the same car is 80 to 100,000
these cars were drivers cars and unappreciated in the Ferrari community. They took longer to start moving up in price but they still did.

The T IMPO will do the same. In time. Like 15 to 20 years. But and this is a big but. It would have to be a well maintained low mileage properly optioned example (true survivor). The reality is the T all the way thru to the GTS are just drivers cars. They all depreciate. The S and GTS, CABS ECT, are sold in larger numbers. So used buyers will have more options available and room to negotiation and be picky. The T is a car that I think a lot of people are going to hold onto and drive thus less used market volume initially which will slow depreciation but it will still depreciate. we must not forget the 987 era though. Porsche produce a boat load of different special editions of that era cayman. It seemed like every other month they were offering a new special edition. I have seen a couple of these cars with all the problems that comes with them sell for really strong money compared to there base and S counterparts here in central Florida. There is a valid reference point to consider the T could possibly be a car that holds its value better than other models that came with luxury trim packages versus a special edition low production car even if it isn’t based on a GT platform.

I would not not be surprised to see a 992 911 E released in the future. Similar to how they brought back the T but the E would be a hybrid variant of the 911. Then everyone will be having this same debate all over again, lol

Quick Reply: How do you see the 992 affecting the Carrera T resale value?