Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you see the 992 affecting the Carrera T resale value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Never buy a car for resale value

don’t be that guy
Old 09-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I think it would slightly help the 991.2 T long term values if there was not a 992 T or future generations of T's. If there are, it will depreciate exactly like any other variant.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Risley
Bought the T today guys. It's late and I'm shacking up in a hotel tonight, will post pics and options this week. Thanks for all the input, I actually have to say I agree with every response here ��
Way to go! Congrats and look forward to the stats!

S
Old 09-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 116 Posts
Thumbs up My new Carrera T

Hey guy's,

Thanks for responding to my other recent posts and as promised this is what I bought.

2018 T
7 Speed Manual

Racing Yellow
Carrera T Interior Package with Sport-Tex centers in yellow
Lane Change Assist
Rear Axle Steering
Heated Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Porsche Entry and Drive
Power Steering Plus
Bose
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus 18 Way
Chrono Package
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto dimming Mirrors
Bi-Xenon w/PDLS
The following users liked this post:
Robenjake (09-06-2019)
Old 09-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Hey guy's,

Thanks for responding to my other recent posts and as promised this is what I bought.

2018 T
7 Speed Manual

Racing Yellow
Lane Change Assist
Rear Axle Steering
Porsche Entry and Drive
Power Steering Plus
Bose
Chrono Package
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto dimming Mirrors
Bi-Xenon w/PDLS
Congrats! Looks fantastic!
Old 09-27-2018, 08:41 PM
Risley
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks Hurricane,
Really nice Carrera for the money
Sure hope it doesn't depreciate.....Just kidding guys LOL
Old 09-27-2018, 09:17 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well to get back to the actual question the answer will always in my opinion be speculative at best until well 10 years from now. However I see things a bit different. If as AL.FRESCO stated Porsche does not make any future 911T’S the T will be rather collectible but only if you never drove it. Basically super low miles. That is the exact reason I didn’t consider buying a GT CAR. 100k miles gt3 depreciates just like any other Porsche. The only reason they appreciate is because nobody drives them. Which I feel is borderline criminal to do to such a great driving car.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:23 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

It will likely depreciate, somewhere between the Base 991.2 and the S, where it starts out. It can not have all the options available on the S, so it will never be worth more than a well-optioned S is. It should remain equal or greater than the Base 911, depending on options.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 728 Likes on 337 Posts

Drove the Timmelsjoch and the Jaufen passes today. Glad I was in a T and not a GT3:

Old 09-28-2018, 12:50 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Awesome Yellow T!

Thanks for the pics Randy M! My T is being produced in Zuff next week....
Old 09-28-2018, 01:20 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey guy's,

2018 T
7 Speed Manual

Racing Yellow
Lane Change Assist
Rear Axle Steering
Porsche Entry and Drive
Power Steering Plus
Bose
Chrono Package
Premium Package
Heated Seats
Auto dimming Mirrors
Bi-Xenon w/PDLS
Congrats I'm sure Porsche of Greenville treated you right. That's my local dealer and almost bought that car a couple times.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

It will likely depreciate, somewhere between the Base 991.2 and the S, where it starts out. It can not have all the options available on the S,

this is is not accurate. The T comes standard with several things that can not be had on the base, S, or GTS. As well as certain options that can not be ordered on any of the vehicles. The T is a SPECIAL EDITION model. The S and GTS are just trim packages that can be had on every model Porsche manufactures. Macan, panni,cayenne, boxster, cayman. Further more the sales numbers are lower than those vehicles. I do agree short term it will depreciate. However long term a properly optioned T will be rare and have a greater value than that of a S or GTS with the same mileage. I hold this opinion based on the production numbers. There are simply less T’s being sold than these other cars. Add to that the fact that there has been a S and GTS trim package every year for decades compared to the T that has not been produced in over 40 years. The current market is flooded with GT3/RS, GTS, and S from multiple generations. I reference the Targa it holds its value very well compared to the other models. I believe the T will be similar or a little better.
The reality is this is all speculative and opinion based with a multitude of variables that affect the overall outcome. So in the end BUY what you like and enjoy it.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:41 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Congrats on car.

This car is at Canepa, 1970 T, cost 6800 when purchased new. Now the price is just shy of 200k.
But deduct the cost of maintenance, insurance, the 5 year restoration cost etc. etc. I think we can conclude cars are not investment that wil make you rich.

https://canepa.com/photo-gallery/197...che-911-t5759/

The following users liked this post:
mjsalisb (08-19-2021)
Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

But deduct the cost of maintenance, insurance, the 5 year restoration cost etc. etc.

these are the variables I was referring to. However there are those that consistently trade in classic and exotic vehicles (new and old) that profit very well. Personally I look at it from a slightly different angle. I am gonna pay for maintenance, insurance, and repairs no matter what vehicle I own so I don’t take those values into consideration when trying to determine the value of a new car purchase. Because I am going to drive the car and enjoy it. I look at potential trade value. I will not purchase a vehicle that is fleeted. Example ford truck. Private companies, City county state and federal agencies all use that vehicle as a fleet vehicle so the used vehicle market is flooded with them. this makes valuation tools like KBB Inacurate and drastically drives down the resale value. The depreciation is massive. Simple supply vs demand economics. With Porsche I look at the used market. Currently the Porsche market shows the Porsche bubble collapsing. The values of the GT3/RS, R, GT2RS Values have declined significantly over the last 2 years. There are currently 5 of these models for sale for every 1 base or targa for sale. There is currently 3 GTS or S models for sale for every 1 base or Targa for sale. Owners trying to own a car and then sell it for a profit are getting caught short and trying dump them to stop the bleeding. Yes the Higher model cars have larger sale values but they initially sold for a higher price. The T is in a grouping separate from the other models. The only other purist class Porsche is the 911R. The R’s productions numbers were so low and the car itself is so extreme it doesn’t affect the T negatively. Like the Targa that is virtually in a group of 1. It is not a cab and it is not a coupe. It’s resale value is strong.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Northern911T
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet T will hold its value far better than base, s or gts. Those have been produced plenty, but T is rather different story. Total amount could be about 2000 cars worldwide. I would compare it to 50 year anniversary model, which was produced 1963 cars. It is keeping its value fairly well. Ofcourse this would only happen if Ts are produced in limited numbers, which we do not know yet. Also if there is not a T for 992 cars. I dont think we see T in the future, but I bet porsche will produce E, maybe for hybrid 911, E like electric.

Quick Reply: How do you see the 992 affecting the Carrera T resale value?