Sponsored by:

991.1 Oil Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 AM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 991.1 Oil Sludge

One year and 3k miles after the stealership changed my oil, I decided to DIY on my 991.1.

What emptied was the nastiest sludge of oil I had ever seen. I let it drip for an hour or so and removed 8.5 quarts.

It was so nasty I immediately went for a turkey baster to remove some coolant and check. The coolant was as clean as can be.

Any advice to a 2-year Porsche guy from the long time owners? Is it possible that it was a 2yr 8k change and the dealership actually didn't do it?

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:30 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

You shouldn't even get sludge on dinosaur oil in 3K miles, let alone synthetic oil. Thats why I hate relying on others doing maintenance work that I am capable of doing myself.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
You shouldn't even get sludge on dinosaur oil in 3K miles, let alone synthetic oil. Thats why I hate relying on others doing maintenance work that I am capable of doing myself.
Yup-per. There is more going on than meets the eye. Not good news for OP. OP are you the original owner? How many miles on the odometer?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:42 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmeds
What emptied was the nastiest sludge of oil I had ever seen.
It's really not possible that 2 years/8K miles on synthetic oil, in a healthy, properly-functioning engine (temps and case ventilation) would result in "sludge," much less "the nastiest sludge." Synthetic oil in particular is highly resistant to sludge. Instead of posting clickbait, maybe post pics or an actual description of what you saw. Dark colored motor oil is not "sludge."
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
It's really not possible that 2 years/8K miles on synthetic oil, in a healthy, properly-functioning engine (temps and case ventilation) would result in "sludge," much less "the nastiest sludge." Synthetic oil in particular is highly resistant to sludge. Instead of posting clickbait, maybe post pics or an actual description of what you saw. Dark colored motor oil is not "sludge."
+1, lot of old school guys think dark colored oil is a problem. it is not
Old 09-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

OP, it could be some sort of additive that was added to the oil. Sure, sludge is not good but at least the internal parts got some sort of lubrication. Did you get proper oil pressure? What about coolant temp? If everything was normal and within range then you should not worry.

I would say run that fresh oil for a thousand miles and change it again. Take a sample from the oil and send it for analysis, it is pretty cheap and will give you some reassurance.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Oil Sludge