Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - misshift - did I damage my engine?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - misshift - did I damage my engine?!

Hi all - unfortunately this is my first post. Looking for some advice as I’m really worried I did some damage today.

I was out today on a spirited drive in my 911T. I was on ramping to the highway and in 3rd gear. I hit redline and go to shift to 4th but nail 2nd by accident. It all happened so quickly but the RPMs shot up 8k. I felt like there was a moment of slow motion where my brain realized what happened and finally communicated to my left foot to smash the clutch down and shift up again.

I finally did so and just kept on driving. No dash board lights, no noises, no smoke. Everything seemed normal for the remaining 40 miles that I had ahead of me.

I parked the car and went on with my day. I just hopped back in it to confirm how it’s driving. No leaks anywhere underneath the car. It started up just fine, drives fine and doesn’t seem to be making any noises. I feel like I’m so paranoid now that my mind is playing tricks on me because I’m extra listening but all seems to be normal. Also the transmission and clutch feel just fine. I pushed the car, up shifting and downshifting in all drive modes, all seems normal. I have 1600 miles on the clock.

Did I really luck out or is my engine going to grenade itself on my way to work at some point next week??

I’ve never done this before but everything I’ve read on line seems to indicate that you either blow your engine immediately, in the moment or you don’t and all is fine. Mostly black and white and not a lot of gray area.

Is that true or am I in for a world of expensive hurt?

Thanks for any advice you all can give
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I’d take it to the shop and have them do a rev report and go from there. If you get past 50hrs without issue you’re probably fine.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

With redline being 7,500 RPM, I doubt you did any damage just revving to 8k RPM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I’d take it to the shop and have them do a rev report and go from there. If you get past 50hrs without issue you’re probably fine.
Meaning if I drive an additional 50hrs without issue, then I’m possibly fine? Can I just go to the dealership and ask them to run a “rev report”?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4pipes
With redline being 7,500 RPM, I doubt you did any damage just revving to 8k RPM.
I really hope you’re right ... 8k is also as high as the tach goes!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m also assuming the oil was at operating temperature since you took it to the limiter.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I’m also assuming the oil was at operating temperature since you took it to the limiter.
Yes! It was around 200 degrees. I was also running in Sport or Sport+ but honestly can’t remember. I had also already done about 25 miles on the road prior to this.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Forget about it - no big deal. If Porsche's were that delicate we'd all be in trouble. Enjoy!!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

My 2 cents FWIW:

if if you go to a dealer for an over rev report they’re going to “ scan “ your car and tell you “ yes it was over revved and what range it was. Then their most likely going to tell you they’d need to tear the engine down to see if there is any signs of mechanical damage and it’s going to cost you a bit of $$$. Not an option I would pursue.

If if it were my car I’d continue to drive it and listen for any odd sounds coming from then engine. After a few hundred miles I’d change the oi and filter and inspect the oil filter for any fragments. Keep a sample of the oil and send it off to Blackstone for an analysis and see what they say.

https://m.blackstone-labs.com/

Finally I’d say your not the 1st person to muff a shift in a Porsche and they are pretty robust motors so the odds of engine damage are pretty slim in my mind. Hell on this forum as well as others we’ve all seen DME reports with ears get 5 over revs and the cars are still going hours after the occurrence.

A friend of mine money shifted his GT4 when it wa s a week old - scanned it and was a range 5 over rev. He’s had the car almost 2 years, 15k miles and countless track days, autoX Etc and not a single issue.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim137a
My 2 cents FWIW:

if if you go to a dealer for an over rev report they’re going to “ scan “ your car and tell you “ yes it was over revved and what range it was. Then their most likely going to tell you they’d need to tear the engine down to see if there is any signs of mechanical damage and it’s going to cost you a bit of $$$. Not an option I would pursue.

If if it were my car I’d continue to drive it and listen for any odd sounds coming from then engine. After a few hundred miles I’d change the oi and filter and inspect the oil filter for any fragments. Keep a sample of the oil and send it off to Blackstone for an analysis and see what they say.

https://m.blackstone-labs.com/

Finally I’d say your not the 1st person to muff a shift in a Porsche and they are pretty robust motors so the odds of engine damage are pretty slim in my mind. Hell on this forum as well as others we’ve all seen DME reports with ears get 5 over revs and the cars are still going hours after the occurrence.

A friend of mine money shifted his GT4 when it wa s a week old - scanned it and was a range 5 over rev. He’s had the car almost 2 years, 15k miles and countless track days, autoX Etc and not a single issue.
Yes, I can imagine they’d react that way as well! If I ask them to change the oil, will they allow me back there with them so I can capture a sample using the blackstone kit and inspect the filter? Or should I just go to an Indy shop?
Old 09-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by onedae
Forget about it - no big deal. If Porsche's were that delicate we'd all be in trouble. Enjoy!!
Really hope you’re right!
Old 09-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Car-dude

Yes, I can imagine they’d react that way as well! If I ask them to change the oil, will they allow me back there with them so I can capture a sample using the blackstone kit and inspect the filter? Or should I just go to an Indy shop?

go go to a trusted Indy shop and tell them you’re sending a sample off for Blackstone analysis. Order The Blackstone Kit first.

Have the Indy shop cut the oil filter open and inspect it for anything out of the ordinary.

Again, I think you’re going to be fine I think you just have the normal “ 1st Porsche - New Porsche owner nervousness and rightfully so..

good luck.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 PM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim137a

go go to a trusted Indy shop and tell them you’re sending a sample off for Blackstone analysis. Order The Blackstone Kit first.

Have the Indy shop cut the oil filter open and inspect it for anything out of the ordinary.

Again, I think you’re going to be fine I think you just have the normal “ 1st Porsche - New Porsche owner nervousness and rightfully so..

good luck.

Ha, it sounds like others have experienced this before! Honestly makes me nervous but sounds like it may not be so bad. I will give it another 100-200miles or so and go to my local Indy with the kit. I’ll report back once I get the results!
Old 09-23-2018, 03:25 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd get the overrev data from the ECU. It'll tell you how high it revved and how long it was in the zone. You're probably going to find that you have nothing to worry about, especially since it's running fine now (usually if you money shift it, you know right away because you break a rocker arm or a valve hits a piston, or worst case you put a rod through the case). Either way it's good to find out as much info as possible.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Being a bit paranoid isn't a bad thing. Would bet you are fine. Keep listening and do the checks as discussed above. Cheap insurance for your angst. If it grenades, they're going to run the numbers on you though, so just be prepared for that. I'd just chalk it up to learning and good motivation to focus on the shifts in the future.

When getting used to the gates a few years ago, I quickly popped it into reverse from a stop instead of first, in traffic, on an incline... Let's just say, while it could have gone a lot worse, it humbled me. Never happened since!

Quick Reply: Help - misshift - did I damage my engine?!