Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - misshift - did I damage my engine?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Second gear tops out around 70 mph. Were you going faster than that?

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that good hand positioning on the shift **** can reduce the chances for this type of problem. To shift 3 to 4, have your hand directly over the top of the shifter. To go 3 to 2, your hand should be on the right side of the ****. Etc. I have quite a bit of trouble with the 7mt myself, especially going 4 to 5, which seems to have a narrow gate, often causing the selection of 3rd instead of 5th.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:17 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

I wouldn’t sweat it.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM
Car-dude
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much for all the responses! Can an Indy shop pull the rev data or does a dealership only have those tools? When I go in to do the oil change and get a sample, I will ask them for that as well.

With regard to the speed question above, I honestly can’t remember but I’m sure I was going at least 70mph.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

It wasnt clear from the OP. Did you let go of the clutch and engage the gear while you were over revved? If not, then definitely dont sweat it. If you put it in gear then definitely check the oil and filter as others above have wisely stated.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by S S
Being a bit paranoid isn't a bad thing. Would bet you are fine. Keep listening and do the checks as discussed above. Cheap insurance for your angst. If it grenades, they're going to run the numbers on you though, so just be prepared for that. I'd just chalk it up to learning and good motivation to focus on the shifts in the future.

When getting used to the gates a few years ago, I quickly popped it into reverse from a stop instead of first, in traffic, on an incline... Let's just say, while it could have gone a lot worse, it humbled me. Never happened since!
This has been a VERY humbling experience...
Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
It wasnt clear from the OP. Did you let go of the clutch and engage the gear while you were over revved? If not, then definitely dont sweat it. If you put it in gear then definitely check the oil and filter as others above have wisely stated.
Yes, I did put it in gear unfortunately.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

With the stock shifter it kept wanting to go 5->4 or 3->2 during upshifts. I never had this happen at redline but during normal driving, but thankfully never had it rev past 6k and never disengaged the clutch. I went with a weighted shift **** and this virtually eliminated the problem. I know it will likely wear out the shifter mechanism over time, but much less likely to over rev the engine.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 816 Posts

I'm sure you will be fine. Now go and buy a numeric shifter and cables so you can make sure it doesnt happen again
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

You don't need a over rev report. You HAVE over revs. Why do you need a report to tell you such?

You don't need a Blackstone Labs UOA. One report won't tell you anything. 4 reports will start telling you something. Only do it now IF you plan to continue and like this kind of data (as I do).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to increase your "situational awareness" when driving. I sense, from many of your replies, that 'you don't recall' what was going on at any particular time. For example, had you been in Sport Plus, and mistakenly chosen a lower gear, when you really wanted a higher gear, you would have audibly heard an auto-blip in the RPMs, and would have then known you selected the wrong gear by mistake and kept the clutch in and re-gated. Yes, this all happens in a mir second.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Rev limiter is your friend, engine cuts out and you will feel loss of power. You cant damage the engine that way.
unless you are over reving constantly

I believe 2nd tops out at 77mph and T revs to 500rpm more than base.

the shift gates are really close. If you sre grabbing the shift **** then its easy to go in an unintended gear based on your wrist position. When going in 3rd to 4th use your finger tips, they should line up.

i once went into reverse when I wanted first because I had a little pressure on the shifter.

this manual is not for racing, thats what PDK is for
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Base and T redline are identical at 7500 rpm. Just checked again, you almost had me excited
Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Rev limiter doesnt do anything in this situation.

Id want to know how high the revs got so an indy pulling the overrev report would be worthwhile
Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Rev limiter is your friend, engine cuts out and you will feel loss of power. You cant damage the engine that way.
You have ZERO rev-limiter protection on a missed down shift. Only on an up shift. The OP missed his shift.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Still don’t see the problem, just trying to find/solve a problem that doesnt exist.

the car has zero issues

if any damage is done its done

either sell it immediately or stay awake worrying about it for the rest of amazing ownership

worry about problems when they actually appear
Old 09-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Car-dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
You don't need a over rev report. You HAVE over revs. Why do you need a report to tell you such?

You don't need a Blackstone Labs UOA. One report won't tell you anything. 4 reports will start telling you something. Only do it now IF you plan to continue and like this kind of data (as I do).

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you need to increase your "situational awareness" when driving. I sense, from many of your replies, that 'you don't recall' what was going on at any particular time. For example, had you been in Sport Plus, and mistakenly chosen a lower gear, when you really wanted a higher gear, you would have audibly heard an auto-blip in the RPMs, and would have then known you selected the wrong gear by mistake and kept the clutch in and re-gated. Yes, this all happens in a mir second.
No offense taken and you’re right - it all happened so quickly, bit of a blur. Normally I’m aware but this one took me by surprise. I don’t mind doing (and redoing) the oil analysis, so will probably do it.

Quick Reply: Help - misshift - did I damage my engine?!