Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sway bar parts

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
Correct, the 991 GT3 suspension is significantly different in back, so the rear bars are not interchangeable. We have a rear bar and drop links designed specifically for your application. Give John a call at BGB and he'll set you up.

Ira
What sway bars and parts would you recommend for a 991.1 GTS to take out some of the roll from the front?
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

4 Point O: How do you like your Tractive setup?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:37 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
4 Point O: How do you like your Tractive setup?
I still don't have them yet. The custom springs I have and the Elephant racing rear lower shock mount. The original tractive I bought from a member couldn't be shipped, so he refunded my money.
I am still considering whether I get the Canisters or not, since I have to buy brand new. Originally I was quoted $7K USD which is About $10K AUD for the normal tractive, including springs and helpers. But when I priced here, they wanted $14K AUD.

Then I enquired with the canisters and they said $17K AUD, but I already have the springs and the helper springs. $17,000 AUD ($12,240 USD) just for four shock absorbers and canisters sounds really excessive.
So whilst I was deciding, I bought Vektor Headers and BMC filter (They are fitted ), and have just ordered Akra Cats (Arrive week of 17th Dec)

I may do Brembo BBK before suspension. The problem is, I have no car to see and ride in to see if that massive chunk of change is worth it or not. I want no compromise. I know I can get a full KW CS track setup for less than Half that and it will handle epicly. But awesome handling is just half of the equasion. I want my cake and eat it too. What I expect from the canisters is the ability to go to the track, pop the hood, go click click click. Have awesome track handling. Then at the end of the day, pop the hood, go click click click, and drive home in compliant suspension. I may also have to swap maps, that is ok as well.

I don't want to ruin the car with track stiff suspesion when I am just going on a cruise. I don't mind firm suspension, but not sunday track day stiff on the street. I want it all, but I am not sure that is possible. It dam well would want to be for $17K and the custom springs were almost $2K. Then fitting thats $20K just on springs and shocks and with $8K of elephant racing bars, its getting out of hand.

To put things in perspective a little, a GTS here brand new like mine, with my options is $345,000 AUD ($248,400 USD) America is the lucky country. You do not realise how cheap things are for you.

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Now I find out that USPS will not ship the Tractive Shocks to me that I bought from another member here. I ordered and received the custom springs that cannot be returned. The tractive coilovers travelled across the states only to be returned a week later, saying they wouldn't ship them. A gas filled metal cannister? So now I have to buy Brand new ones.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:27 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a base 991.2, DSC controller, and Tractive shocks with Swift springs.

When I first bought the car, I was really disappointed. The ridiculously soft spring rates, the lack of engine noise, a kind of momentary loss of power as the rear compressed during acceleration all made me really frustrated and sad. I felt like I bought the wrong car.

DSC Upgrade -

Like 4 Point 0, I first got the DSC controller and alignment with -1.5º camber. I was shocked. I had no idea how much Porsche was hiding behind software. The car was wonderfully level and the engine mount stiffening by DSC gave the engine the kind of sound and feel I was missing during acceleration. The momentary “sag” I felt on hard acceleration disappeared.

Tractive Upgrade -

The DSC upgrade made it clear to me how important electronic damping is to the higher-end 911 models, and how Porsche is sandbagging the base Carrera. I daily my car and have a 50-mile commute on 280 in the Bay Area, so the car must be comfortable. The best way to tell if I’m driving the right car is if I wake up eager to commute. I finally felt this way after the Tractive upgrade. My springs are: front Z60-152-080 (about 448#), rear Z60-203-130 (about 728#), which is between a GT3 and RS, and yet the car is great for me around town and on the highway.

Alignment -

The car was lowered by about an inch. The front was raised a little with respect to the stock front-to-rear height to be more balanced.

Ignore initial values. They’re from the state the car was in after Tractive shocks were installed.

The base finally feels like a sports car and it’s insanely fun to drive at legal speeds. As an aside, I also got Girodisc brakes, which are fantastic.

1” lower stance with the Tractive/getting coffee in SF before the commute

Last edited by tosha; 03-01-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:02 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
Man, that's really great feedback on modding the base Carrera suspension. I think it's a really great tuner car. You haven't even gotten to the power mods yet!
Old 03-02-2020, 01:37 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

The DSC upgrade made it clear to me how important electronic damping is to the higher-end 911 models, and how Porsche is sandbagging the base Carrera. I daily my car and have a 50-mile commute on 280 in the Bay Area, so the car must be comfortable. The best way to tell if I’m driving the right car is if I wake up eager to commute. I finally felt this way after the Tractive upgrade. My springs are: front Z60-152-080 (about 448#), rear Z60-203-130 (about 728#), which is between a GT3 and RS, and yet the car is great for me around town
So your running 450lbs up front and 730lbs on the rear?

I installed coil over springs on my GTS, 350lbs up front and 650lbs on the rear. Initially I thought 350 up front might be too much but the ride is actually better than expected. I also switched to spherical bushings and went with adjustable LCA’s. I am running more than 3deg negative up front and the grip and turn in is amazing. Maybe not recommended for a DD due to tire wear but I mainly canyon carve and I love the set up.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
So your running 450lbs up front and 730lbs on the rear?
Yes, it’s much stiffer than stock GTS 991.2. I actually found the GTS to be a nice balance of sportiness and comfort, and I probably wouldn’t have gone through so much trouble with it as I’ve done with the base. (I got the base because I trusted the “base is the most fun” silliness online without adequate test driving. Those people have no idea what they’re talking about.)

The DSC controller dampens the ride at slow speeds so well that I never regret the stiffer springs around town (like I did with PSS10 on the 993). My girlfriend, though, misses the softer springs, so that’s something to keep in mind. I am looking forward to PCA track days at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill in the coming months.

The suspension upgrade makes me much less interested in the ECU tunes because the car is so much more exciting.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:11 AM
Irish996
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it’s much stiffer than stock GTS 991.2. I actually found the GTS to be a nice balance of sportiness and comfort, and I probably wouldn’t have gone through so much trouble with it as I’ve done with the base. (I got the base because I trusted the “base is the most fun” silliness online without adequate test driving. Those people have no idea what they’re talking about.)

The DSC controller dampens the ride at slow speeds so well that I never regret the stiffer springs around town (like I did with PSS10 on the 993). My girlfriend, though, misses the softer springs, so that’s something to keep in mind. I am looking forward to PCA track days at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill in the coming months.

The suspension upgrade makes me much less interested in the ECU tunes because the car is so much more exciting.
Hi Tosha,

Reading this with great hope that I don’t have to go to pricey full coilover set up for what I use my base for (fast road use and occasional track).

Can you let me know how you are liking the set up now you’ve had a few months with it?

Also can you give me an idea on cost? I already have the DSC installed but need more from the suspension department.

cheers
Old 12-04-2020, 02:58 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Up date.

The car has progressed considerably sine this thread, and i track a lot more. As well as full tractive, i upgraded the front springs.

I originally was 75/150. (425/850lbs). But now i am 100/150. I thought it would ruin the ride. But here is the kicker. At 75/150Nm/mm. I would run normal mode on street and it was beautiful. And Sport mode on track, excellent, but too stiff and bumpy for street.

Now with the stiffer 100Nm/mm up front, AND a new DSC controller with a map done by Tom tested with 100/150.

I run sport, full track stiff on the street as well as the track.

It os comfy on street and epic on the track. Now thats what i call active. It is sensational. I have fallen in love with my car all over again.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-04-2020 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
The Ox (12-04-2020), Tom@TPC Racing (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 05:31 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Just goes to show you, stiffer doesn't mean worse ride and softer doesn't always mean better ride.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:34 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Here is the prime example of what we want to dial out. This picture clearly shows how soft the front suspension is whether it is the sway bars or shocks/springs that can fix this or the combination of both. My car has stock suspension and P-Zeros.

991.1 with stock suspension. Note the front lift.

I'm not sure you can take one photo, and infer much from this: if you are under hard acceleration, which it appears you are, it's normal for the weight to shift to the back, and the front to rise. If you were under hard braking, your nose would be much lower.

What's the point of changing your spring/shocks, anyway? Why do you want a firmer ride? Are you going to shave a 0.2 second off your lap time?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Here is the prime example of what we want to dial out. This picture clearly shows how soft the front suspension is whether it is the sway bars or shocks/springs that can fix this or the combination of both. My car has stock suspension and P-Zeros.

991.1 with stock suspension. Note the front lift.
This car has both a spoiler and a wing in the rear, but I don't see any front aero to balance a lot of extra rear downforce. If you don't balance aero modifications you can make things worse than leaving it stock
Old 12-05-2020, 04:15 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WP0
I'm not sure you can take one photo, and infer much from this: if you are under hard acceleration, which it appears you are, it's normal for the weight to shift to the back, and the front to rise. If you were under hard braking, your nose would be much lower

What's the point of changing your spring/shocks, anyway? Why do you want a firmer ride? Are you going to shave a 0.2 second off your lap time?
It may be normal for a stock floaty boat, but its not normal for a high performance or track car.

The point is it improves, pitch, yaw, turn, braking and acceleration and increase driver confidence. As well as decreasing roll. Improves all handling characteristics. Allows superior adjustability. And it would take ten times that off your track time. 2 seconds not .2.

Its clear you’re not a track guy.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-05-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:59 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
It may be normal for a stock floaty boat, but its not normal for a high performance or track car.

The point is it improves, pitch, yaw, turn, braking and acceleration and increase driver confidence. As well as decreasing roll. Improves all handling characteristics. Allows superior adjustability. And it would take ten times that off your track time. 2 seconds not .2.

Its clear you’re not a track guy.
I only drive the car on the track for fun. I have a different job, so I try to keep the track as "fun time", so I don't focus on stuff that could make it seem too much like work, like focusing on the spring rates, etc. If definitely sounds like you know what you're talking about, and I suppose this is probably the only forum where a stock 911 would be considered a "floaty boat", but it's a fun analogy, so kudos to you!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WP0
and I suppose this is probably the only forum where a stock 911 would be considered a "floaty boat", but it's a fun analogy, so kudos to you!
It’s true, there are levels.

I turned the stock 6 pot brakes brown. I disintegrated a brand new set of rear pads in 3 x 20min sessions.

I replaced the entire brakes with Brembo GTS BBK 380mm front and rear. It is meant to be highly track focused. More than The standard Brembo BBk and more than the Brembo GT BBK.

and this is now the result. They were black anodised.

BrownBo’s

So anyone that says the stock 350 fr and 330 rear is enough, aren’t quite up to hard track level yet.

And yes i need new rotors. Those were brembo type 3. The pattern is almost gone.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 12-05-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?