Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:16 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 182 Posts

I can see where 110/160- 120/170 could be in my future, I just needed to work my way up as the same rates 160/100ish on my F80 with MCS 3-ways would cause your teeth to fall out. The handling was amazing but driving at slower speeds was not pleasant. That setup made me go a bit too conservative on the 991.

The Tractives are shockingly good at higher rates, I’ll be honest I’m surprised as other dampers do not feel this way at all. I was driving home in sport mode which is my track mode and it just glided over rough pavement.

Going to hit a few track days with this setup in the next month and then go from there. Once the new turbos etc. get installed in a few weeks I'll move to Cup 2s and these will probably be too soft. I'll probably end up at 120/170 once the under body aero is done.
The following users liked this post:
enzotcat (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:08 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by IRunalot
Ok you were right lol the 100/140 are great with the Tractives. Somehow the ride is better even with my old DSC file which has them a bit over damped at the moment. The car feels much sharper and lively. Still need them to settle a bit and then get it corner balanced and fully set up. I’ll get the DSC map sorted this weekend as well but that feels as though it will be easy as the front/rear ratio is nearly only a few points off. Just need to back off the compression and add a touch of rebound.

This is by far not too stiff for anyone thinking about spring rates.

thank you for sharing this info and thank you @jakermc for getting my car in on short notice.
Glad you are happy! I had the same impressions about the needed DSC adjustments on the brief test drive I made, but you are the expert there.

I had another very knowledgeable, enthusiast, car collector customer in the shop who was just drooling over your car. When I mentioned that I had right of first refusal when it was time for you to sell and I thought he was going to fight me for it! LOL Your original spec and now custom build are just spot on, it a pleasure for us every time it's here in our shop.
IRunalot (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:26 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

I can see where 110/160- 120/170 could be in my future, I just needed to work my way up as the same rates 160/100ish on my F80 with MCS 3-ways would cause your teeth to fall out. The handling was amazing but driving at slower speeds was not pleasant. That setup made me go a bit too conservative on the 991.

The Tractives are shockingly good at higher rates, I’ll be honest I’m surprised as other dampers do not feel this way at all. I was driving home in sport mode which is my track mode and it just glided over rough pavement.

Going to hit a few track days with this setup in the next month and then go from there. Once the new turbos etc. get installed in a few weeks I'll move to Cup 2s and these will probably be too soft. I'll probably end up at 120/170 once the under body aero is done.
I love hearing this - when I went from stock C2S SPASM directly to 110/160 it was a bit of a leap of faith, especially because I did everything suspension-related at once, including replacing the rubber bushings with spherical bearings. I was a little concerned that it would become harsh and unpleasant on the road, but it's pretty impressive how well it works. I think my setup is actually more comfortable than stock at this point. I've still got some work to do on my track mode, but I plan on making progress on that at LRP next week. And hopefully nuking my Dunlops enough to switch over. Once my new wheels arrive, I'm going to go at least 255 section front and 315 rear - maybe 265 and 325 if I can get them to fit.

I think the key with the tractive dampers is their response rate - 6ms as opposed to 100ms. With the stock dampers, at 60mph you're a good 20 feet past the pothole by the time they can react whereas with the tractives, you're 1/2 ft and still in the pothole when they react.
IRunalot (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 12:43 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,218 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
I think the key with the tractive dampers is their response rate - 6ms as opposed to 100ms. With the stock dampers, at 60mph you're a good 20 feet past the pothole by the time they can react whereas with the tractives, you're 1/2 ft and still in the pothole when they react.
When I worked at Ford they were experimenting with active dampers that had similar response rate (<10ms), and the system could sense a pothole then keep the wheel from dropping down into the pothole, basically skipping right over the hole. It made for an impressively smooth ride around the crappy MI roads. This was all on a prototype/development vehicle, I think just a standard Taurus or Fusion. I’m not sure if the system ever made it into anything production, but it was cool technology that showed what was possible even 8 years ago. I’m surprised the Porsche dampers have response rate that slow. Ford uses/used magnetorheological dampers, and I think the production ones were around ~35ms for the early ones back around 2017, but the more recent ones are under 10. Why would Porsche be using inferior dampers to Ford? Hopefully the 992 dampers are better.

Last edited by MingusDew; 05-02-2024 at 12:44 PM.
IRunalot (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:51 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
When I worked at Ford they were experimenting with active dampers that had similar response rate (<10ms), and the system could sense a pothole then keep the wheel from dropping down into the pothole, basically skipping right over the hole. It made for an impressively smooth ride around the crappy MI roads. This was all on a prototype/development vehicle, I think just a standard Taurus or Fusion. I’m not sure if the system ever made it into anything production, but it was cool technology that showed what was possible even 8 years ago. I’m surprised the Porsche dampers have response rate that slow. Ford uses/used magnetorheological dampers, and I think the production ones were around ~35ms for the early ones back around 2017, but the more recent ones are under 10. Why would Porsche be using inferior dampers to Ford? Hopefully the 992 dampers are better.

does the DSC help speed up the response or is it limited by the shock?
Old 05-02-2024, 03:27 PM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F355bob
does the DSC help speed up the response or is it limited by the shock?
The response is damper limited. DSC does give you a better operating range and changes the behavior compared to the stock module. On top of that you can customize it the valving and velocity.

On top of the repose time Tractives can change valving while in compression while the OEM dampers are not able to do this so they are always a step behind.

Last edited by IRunalot; 05-02-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:21 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Dunno, but from my research their active ride control operates at around 13Hz, which translates to about 75ms or thereabouts. The tractive DDA valve has a 6-10ms reaction time, which translates to around 166Hz. Motor1 seems to agree with me for the modern ones - https://www.motor1.com/features/7124...e-active-ride/ - and I believe that the 991.2-era 911's were slower than that. Bilstein's damptronic pages (and I believe that the OEM dampers are effectively Bilstein B4 damptronic), however, claim 60ms - https://www.thyssenkrupp-automotive-...stable-dampers - or about 17Hz, still 10x slower than Tractive. GM's MR dampers (have been long acknowledged as Pretty Damned Good™. The technology is quite different - gas pressure (the OE dampers are from bilstein AFAIK - B4 damptronic) vs an electromagnet. The MR fluid reacts essentially instantly, whereas gas valves have to move. MagneRide can adjust damping response every 1ms, which is pretty damned amazing to me!

Interestingly enough, the Audi R8 uses MagneRide suspension, as does the Lamborghini Huracan, so the VW group in general isn't opposed to them.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:26 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 291 Posts

Where are members sourcing their Tractive coilvers and E-motion parts?
Old 05-02-2024, 07:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
I got my entire setup for suspension from TPC racing. I don't have E-motion - I have Tarett rear camber arms, Porsche motorsport outer control arms, TPC racing front tie rods and inner control arms, elephant racing spherical bearings, swift springs (110/160), Tractive DDA dampers. Tom@TPC put the entire package together for me and provided outstanding service.
thesaintusa (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:41 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

I got some E-Motion from Dundon and the rest direct from Joey at E-Motion.

Tractive from Australian distributor.

DSC from TOM at TPC.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:46 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

Me too. I ran 110/180 KW-CS on my ///M4. Great at the track, but I hated life on the street.

My guy said to me 100/180 and if it was too stiff, he’d guve me softer springs for FREE. But I wasn’t buying it. 🤣

I went 75/150. Then 100/150 much better and now 120/170. Which really isn’t far from 100/180 🤣
IRunalot (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:52 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Bought all of the suspension components directly from Joey at E-Motion and the Tractives from GMP Performance in Charlotte as they did all the work on my previous F80.

Quick Reply: Spring Rates - What was Porsche thinking?