Sponsored by:

Having a dedicated iPhone for the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Having a dedicated iPhone for the car

To begin with, I'm not an iPhone user, nor am I an iOS fan ... all of my phones, including the one I use right now, have been Android-based since the sad demise of Nokia as the leader in cell phones.

That said, I presently have a family cell phone plan that includes an extra under-utilized phone number and I can readily upgrade the device for that number (from a very old but still functional Nokia E71x ) to an iPhone. My thinking is that maybe this would be a good way to take advantage of Porsche's slant toward Apple Car Play support while not having to switch from my [much better] Android-based phone.

So, has anyone ever considered or tried to simply leave an iPhone attached within the glove compartment as a dedicated phone for the car?

With my existing ride, I did leave a dedicated iPod in the car for a number of years as a music server ... eventually I replaced that iPod with a much larger USB thumb drive.

[30 days and counting down to the start of my 2019 C2S build ]

Last edited by saundebn; 09-19-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Yes, I have an iPhone 4S just for my cars. Wonderfully convenient.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the value to this.

If you are not using the Apple phone as your phone it would seem that you are going to go to a lot of effort to keep all the related apps up to date - address book, calendar, messaging, etc. And if those apps are not current (since you are not using the phone when you are out of the car) then what is the value to CarPlay?

I like my Apple CarPlay since it shows me current address book, current text conversations, recent calls, and a couple of other apps that I use everyday on my phone (navigation and music for instance). To me Apple CarPlay becomes another instance of my phone with a much larger screen while I am in the car. When I leave the car I have a "record" of anything I did in the car while I Was driving.

I understand leaving an iPod in the car since all it does is provide music but don't understand leaving a dedicated phone in the car so it can drive CarPlay .. yeah it would work as a phone but would not be current on anything else....
Old 09-18-2018, 09:52 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly

If you are not using the Apple phone as your phone it would seem that you are going to go to a lot of effort to keep all the related apps up to date - address book, calendar, messaging, etc. And if those apps are not current (since you are not using the phone when you are out of the car) then what is the value to CarPlay?

I like my Apple CarPlay since it shows me current address book, current text conversations, recent calls, and a couple of other apps that I use everyday on my phone (navigation and music for instance). To me Apple CarPlay becomes another instance of my phone with a much larger screen while I am in the car. When I leave the car I have a "record" of anything I did in the car while I Was driving.

I understand leaving an iPod in the car since all it does is provide music but don't understand leaving a dedicated phone in the car so it can drive CarPlay .. yeah it would work as a phone but would not be current on anything else....
Sign in to both phones with a single Apple ID.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Rican
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Careful. Remember how Spock got androids to self-destruct by confronting them with logic!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes that’s what I do. Dedicated IPod classic with uncompressed music.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 PM
saundebn
Instructor

On the question of why, my thinking is that the phone in this case serves two basic functions ... first, it becomes my network connection for the car and second, it runs apps that could be useful for driving and travel. I'm really not intending to use it as a personal communications device. I suppose that I might extract it from the car to load media or do some planning before heading off on a journey.

With that in mind, would I still be able to connect my primary cell phone via Bluetooth for receiving calls while the iPhone is connected and running Car Play?

Last edited by saundebn; 09-18-2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm thinking about this too. I'm an Android guy, but would love to have a dedicated iPhone in my 991.2, if it allowed me to run Waze without a separate subscription on the car.
When i read Rennlisters are doing this, I'm buying an iPhone and adding it to my Verizon package.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Same dilemma, Android user, currently have a Samsung S4 which I've kept because it has a removable battery. It works fine.

But when my order comes in, I'm faced with Car Play, loath to go to Apple. Guess I'll deal with it when the car comes in.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:04 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My Porsche 991.1 GTS asks me to designate one phone as "primary". How does that help anything? Sorry, I am stupid. I do not understand the virtue of designating one for the car alone. DUHHHHHH!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
On the question of why, my thinking is that the phone in this case serves two basic functions ... first, it becomes my network connection for the car and second, it runs apps that could be useful for driving and travel. I'm really not intending to use it as a personal communications device. I suppose that I might extract it from the car to load media or do some planning before heading off on a journey.

With that in mind, would I still be able to connect my primary cell phone via Bluetooth for receiving calls while the iPhone is connected and running Car Play?
No. If you are running CarPlay, you can only use the connected phone for calls. Any phone connected via Bluetooth to the PCM will be automatically disconnected.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Thanks for the answer ... so, outgoing calls wouldn't be much of an issue since the iPhone will be connected. Incoming calls might require some form of forwarding setup between my two numbers. Then again, my family could simply call the "car" to get me when they know I'm out on the road - sort of like the good ol' days when phones were associated with places rather than people

Last edited by saundebn; 09-19-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68

No. If you are running CarPlay, you can only use the connected phone for calls. Any phone connected via Bluetooth to the PCM will be automatically disconnected.
Then the only way it would work for me is if there's a way to forward calls from my primary phone to the one that's connected to the car's USB.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 AM
saundebn
Instructor

Having the two phones operate independently isn't necessarily a bad idea ... especially if you want only a select set of folks to be able to get you when in your special place behind the wheel
Old 09-19-2018, 10:41 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Just switch to Apple and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Having a dedicated iPhone for the car