Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a dedicated iPhone for the car

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:30 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have an ipad with LTE can I connect that for car play?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@CSK 911 C4S - seriously? Why would I own and operate a world class car and not also want to own and operate a world class cell phone?

That point aside (), I've got plenty of reasons, both personal and work-related, to want to remain on Android. With my plan to dedicate an iPhone to the car, I can also use this approach to separate my mobile phone from the car-specific uses that the iPhone will be serving. For example, I can easily see having an extensive iTunes library on the iPhone while my mobile phone has essentially no media stored on it.

The more I thing about it, the more I like the idea of separate phone numbers for my mobile versus the car - only a limited number of family and friends will know the car's phone number. And I think that I can do some selective forwarding from my mobile to the car.

My only real concern is the idea of leaving the iPhone "permanently" installed in the car ... hopefully if the phone is hidden under the cover of the center console, it won't have overheating issues - the iPod that I used to have in the car did reasonably well by simply being kept away from any direct sunlight. As far as the battery goes, yes, leaving it plugged into the car might turn out to degrade battery performance more quickly than a regular usage model but hopefully not in a way that causes the phone to not function properly when plugged in.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey OP, I'm in the exact same boat as you so lets try to figure something out.. I never thought of your idea, now I'm tempted to go buy a used iPhone to try this out.

Have you seen this? The guy who posted this video disappeared but would be HUGE if released. I wish I had it in my car. IMO it craps on carplay.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, any Android integration requires hacking the system and I'm not willing to do that while under warranty. The better solution would be for VW to simply step in to direct that Porsche align with the other car divisions in supporting Android Auto - somewhat surprising that VW hasn't already taken such an action. If customers are willing to accept Google's policies, Porsche should simply accept that and make the capabilities available on an Opt-In basis.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
I believe so. You'll know as soon as you plug in your iPad.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
Then the only way it would work for me is if there's a way to forward calls from my primary phone to the one that's connected to the car's USB.
If you have two phones already on your plan (ie, famiy member) , and your plan has call-forwarding. You can try this configuration with the phones you already have before committing to another phone.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
No, CarPlay can only be used with iPhone 5 or newer.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:53 PM
ps2020
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default playing music without apple Carplay

I have 2016 Cayenne and I am pretty sure it does NOT has apple Carplay as it does not say anywhere and from what I have seen from internet it does not look like having interface of apple Carplay.
This info system is kind of in between new Carplay and older one. I did internet search and I think from 2017 and beyond, Cayenne has Apple Carplay. I have read carefully car manual and it only says thing about phone integration and they don't distinguish between apple vs android system.

I have android and I can only use it to make or receive phone calls (no playing music from phone or any other app). Sales person told me iphone gets more functions. Since I don't have iphone I don't know what extra features can be done via iPhone.

Now I am in market for new phone. One of the reason to switch to iphone will be my Cayenne.

Q: Does any one know what extra features one can do with iPhone in this 2016 Cayenne? I there any difference connecting via bluetooth vs USB? Would I be able to mirror my iphone or at least some apps? Again this car does NOT have apple carplay and not sure what they call it since it has some extra iphone features.

I did lots of search within Rennlist and most of threads are upgrading to Apple Carplay (via adding chip to current system). I am NOT looking to make any upgrades to my PCM system. Rennlist moderators don't like posting similar threads and this one seem to close enough what I am looking for.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:28 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Question

Even though you posted in the wrong forum.

Do you have a picture of the interior? It should look identical to this?

If so, then yes there is NO CarPlay. And there is no additional "benefits" to use an iPhone.

You will have Bluetooth Audio and Bluetooth Call Functionality which works with both Android and iPhone, nothing else additional AFAIK.

Quick Reply: Having a dedicated iPhone for the car