991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options: Carrera T vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018 | 02:32 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

At these price points and for any car really, you should go with your gut/what you are attracted to most IMO. I've never really been 50/50 split on a car purchase but leaned one way or another, especially after doing a lot of research

I guess since this counts as research and seeing what others think before pulling the trigger, I personally would go with the T. Like others have said, there will always be an "S" but I don't know about the T. Like the unique bits of the T to make the car feel subtly special without being obviously different like a GT car. Having the newer car with more warranty and perhaps more of the new car smell wouldn't hurt either! Also, this is very subjective of course but I actually liked the base engine a lot more than the GTS engine when I was test driving the 991.2s, less boost and felt a bit more "NA" like to me. It was a sweet spot of turbo meet NA for me for street driving, but I can understand why others prefer the S and more powerful engines over the base
Old 09-20-2018 | 10:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Yes, with the new 911T there are a few bits that are nice. But the 41 lb weight reduction is trivial, IMO. Get an after-market lithium battery and lose some weight, if weight is so important. But the extra little bits you get with the new 911T will pall in comparison with performance options available on an S, and what you can can get with the factory option X51 PowerKit or after-market option X51 PowerKit on a 911 Carrera S.
I went for a Carerra S with Sport Package, PSE, SPASM, PSE, PDCC, and RAS. Just the two PDCC and RAS options resulted in a lap time improvement of 30 second on the Nordschleife for the 991.2.
I added the dealer - installed aftermarket X51 PowerKit, and sold my S turbos for $3200. That was a win - win for me. A 29% increase in Hp and a 23% increase in torque, with full 4 year Porsche new-car warranty on my X51 PowerKit addition. No mild gear ratio changes of the new 911T will outdo those Hp and torque advantages of the S, especially those of an S with X51 PowerKit.
I keep hearing about how great the new 911T is, but have no regrets about choosing my S, with every performance option Porsche offers on the 991.2S. And I got all the luxury options I wanted at a great price. I can't do that with the new 911Tl.
And from what i hear, many dealers are asking for a premium on a T, whereas many S's sell at a discount.
In the Porsche configurator for the new 911T, i don't see any Sunroof in the Premium Package Plus, or any PDCC, SPASM, or X51 PowerKit options. Oh, and there are no armrests on a T. And no carbon fiber interior trim options.
I'm not buying the new 911T hype.

Last edited by PCA1983; 09-20-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2018 | 12:02 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Yes, with the new 911T there are a few bits that are nice. But the 41 lb weight reduction is trivial, IMO. Get an after-market lithium battery and lose some weight, if weight is so important. But the extra little bits you get with the new 911T will pall in comparison with performance options available on an S, and what you can can get with the factory option X51 PowerKit or after-market option X51 PowerKit on a 911 Carrera S.
I went for a Carerra S with Sport Package, PSE, SPASM, PSE, PDCC, and RAS. Just the two PDCC and RAS options resulted in a lap time improvement of 30 second on the Nordschleife for the 991.2.
I added the dealer - installed aftermarket X51 PowerKit, and sold my S turbos for $3200. That was a win - win for me. A 29% increase in Hp and a 23% increase in torque, with full 4 year Porsche new-car warranty on my X51 PowerKit addition. No mild gear ratio changes of the new 911T will outdo those Hp and torque advantages of the S, especially those of an S with X51 PowerKit.
I keep hearing about how great the new 911T is, but have no regrets about choosing my S, with every performance option Porsche offers on the 991.2S. And I got all the luxury options I wanted at a great price. I can't do that with the new 911Tl.
And from what i hear, many dealers are asking for a premium on a T, whereas many S's sell at a discount.
In the Porsche configurator for the new 911T, i don't see any Sunroof in the Premium Package Plus, or any PDCC, SPASM, or X51 PowerKit options. Oh, and there are no armrests on a T. And no carbon fiber interior trim options.
Not buying the T hype but attributing a 30 s lap time improvement on just RAS and PDCC?
Old 09-21-2018 | 01:51 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

The T CAN be ordered with a sunroof. SPASM is included in the price, as well as Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust. And it does have armrests. You can't get the carbon fiber interior trim, but you can get the $1,000+ leather trim at no cost. Let's discuss facts.
Old 09-21-2018 | 02:53 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

My 911T (yup I drank the Kool-aid) just locked in the factory and yes, you can spec carbon fiber trim, sunroof as I did, and even SPASM and arm-rests are standard. Try again...
Old 09-25-2018 | 11:46 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up securing an awesome deal on a 2017 CPO C2S at a pretty good discount with 825 on the meter.

Drove it 4 hours home and still searching for that thing.... what they call it..... turbo lag?????? Couldn’t find it.... I think I might have left at the dealership.

2017 C2s
Old 09-26-2018 | 01:04 AM
dkhm3
Racer

congrats! more pics.
Old 09-26-2018 | 04:46 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Beautiful! Good for you, mano...
Old 09-26-2018 | 07:13 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Haven’t had a chance to take more pics since I had to go back to work... here are some pics the dealership had online and one pic when I picked up the BEAST!

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Options: Carrera T vs Carrera S