Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's what winter driving can do.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:59 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 142 Posts

I dunno. With all the salt damage in the winter, the rain in the spring and fall, and the sun damage in the summer, maybe we shouldn't drive them at all...

Out of curiosity, in any of the myriad PPIs and rennfaxes people have done on this forum, has anyone ever encountered a car that had so much salt-related undercarriage damage or rain damage damage (whatever that is) or sun damage (to the interior leather, maybe?) that made any actual difference to the car?

Look, you should all do what you wish with your cars. But I'll be very happy to buy a rain and winter-driven car at 15% off (and then drive the hell out of it) because you folks passed.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:12 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Lets hope the engineering wizards at Porsche got the materials right not just on the turbos but all of those other metal parts in drcollie's picture. As far as winter driving is concerned, I get it if you want to use it year around in all conditions. Some of us don't have the stomach to run our favorite cars in winter conditions. Not to mention the risk of counting on the skills of other drivers not to slide into our highly polished and revered bodywork and paint jobs. Unless you lease the car, or it's chump change for you to buy it, I'd also suggest using it sparingly in the worst part of winter.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

OMGosh...... your cars are going to melt........ stop driving them immediately....... garage them right now.......

Most of you will buy another car before your current one even has 5K miles on it.

Life is short...... tomorrow is not promised...... drive and enjoy them.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:30 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks very much for the information. Very informative.
I live in NH. They spread small rocks on the road in the winter to improve traction and ding your paint and crack your windscreen.
They also pretreat roads with some kind of liquid. I drive my 2004 volvo xc70 with 160,000 miles in the winter,.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:43 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I drove my 2013 991.1 full-time for four winters in Pennsylvania, except for occasional deep snow, and traded it in with no visible winter damage or reduction in trade-in value. I am about to begin the third winter on my 2017 991.2 (purchased in August 2016) and expect the same. I don't expect the turbos to be more vulnerable to corrosion than a number of other exposed components. Even if I decide to keep the 991.2 longer, instead of trading it after four years, I would be very surprised to see visible damage for a long time.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

I would imagine that part of the problem is the tremendous heat that these turbos experience. Heat cycles and salt/water have an effect eventually.
Heat is likely a reason that they are exposed as they are. Live in Florida, no salt.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 PM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
OMGosh...... your cars are going to melt........ stop driving them immediately....... garage them right now.......
I don't even have a garage.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Turbocharger out of my Isuzu Diesel Truck with just 31K miles on it. $ 3,300 to replace. The winter chemicals used on the roads in the Washington DC region did this to the unit. It's exposed like the turbos on the 991.2 are. Just a data point when you are considering running your Porsche on salted winter roads, there can be a cost in corrosion and deterioration. Myself I used older SUV's in the winter and leave my 911 in the garage until the crud is off the roads.

Mys
I'd say that's a defective part. Somehow it missed the treatment part of the process or something. I've got a 15 year old Ram Cummins turbodiesel. The turbo in that engine is no less exposed than the picture you posted of your Isuzu, yet the turbo has a very minor patina on it from the elements.

For that to have been salt, I'd say that every single one of those 31K miles would have to have been driven through a salt bath.

The other possibility is that your EGT is way too high. Is your truck modified? Heat is the biggest threat to engine components and this looks like it could have been heat caused more than salt. It's too uniform to have been salt, now that I look at it closer. Salt causes pitting more than generalized rusting. Heat, on the other hand....
Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
I don't even have a garage.
I also cannot wait to powerslide my car in the neighbourhood !

Go winter !
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

The M3 and 911 are staying in the garage in the winter. No way will I expose them to the elements.

We have to other cars to get us through the winter months.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,291 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
For that to have been salt, I'd say that every single one of those 31K miles would have to have been driven through a salt bath.
This.

Metal plus high heat plus moisture results in the perfect environment for rust build up, salt or no salt.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I'd say that's a defective part. Somehow it missed the treatment part of the process or something. I've got a 15 year old Ram Cummins turbodiesel. The turbo in that engine is no less exposed than the picture you posted of your Isuzu, yet the turbo has a very minor patina on it from the elements.

The other possibility is that your EGT is way too high. Is your truck modified? Heat is the biggest threat to engine components and this looks like it could have been heat caused more than salt. It's too uniform to have been salt, now that I look at it closer. Salt causes pitting more than generalized rusting. Heat, on the other hand....
I'd bet that the Isuzu has no rust anywhere else at all. The turbo acted as a sacrificial anode.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

There was a 991.2 at my dealer that had to have both its turbos replaced. When asked why the SA told me the owner was driving it in the winter and that the road chemicals damaged them. This is in Quebec, Canada.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
There was a 991.2 at my dealer that had to have both its turbos replaced. When asked why the SA told me the owner was driving it in the winter and that the road chemicals damaged them. This is in Quebec, Canada.
991.2 is only a few years old. That was some fast corrosion. Crap. I have been thinking of driving my car in the winter. Now I am questioning that thought.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Just for grins, here's the exhaust clamp bolts on my prior 991.1 that I purchased from the Salt Lake City area. I ended up having to use a Dremel to cut the clamps off due to the extreme corrosion on the bolts locking them completely up.

Not as bad as a turbocharger for sure, but heat, water, and salt mix certainly can do its thing! The wetness you see in the photo is from a long soak with WD-40 rust penetrating spray, but this was just to much for that to work.

Quick Reply: Here's what winter driving can do.....