Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protection for underside of Frunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^SoCal, love those Sport Techno wheels on the Guards Red! Want!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Good point!

Care to tell us which exact one you bought @ Tgt or WM & how tightly it fits?

Suncoast Front Trunk Liner - 991/981/718 #SKU991FLCL
$169.95 (MSRP $209.91)
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991FLCL.html

Looks like it fits very tightly although some reviewers say they lose a bit of space.
I don't have my 911 yet, months more to wait for delivery. Does the Porsche bin block access to anything on the sides of the Frunk? Or is it just carpeted walls where it sits.
The Target/Walmart bin measures approximately 25X14X13. Obviously not a custom fit and there is about a 2-3 inch gap lengthwise and about 1 inch widthwise. That bin gap is bigger towards the bottom of the frunk as the bin tapers and is smaller at the bottom. No issues for me as I manage to use that space with smaller items (I tuck a quart of oil in a plastic zip lock bag and other small items in the gapped bin space, for example).

Here is a pic of my bin with all the crap I have in it.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:51 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The Target/Walmart bin measures approximately 25X14X13. Obviously not a custom fit and there is about a 2-3 inch gap lengthwise and about 1 inch widthwise. That bin gap is bigger towards the bottom of the frunk as the bin tapers and is smaller at the bottom. No issues for me as I manage to use that space with smaller items (I tuck a quart of oil in a plastic zip lock bag and other small items in the gapped bin space, for example).

Here is a pic of my bin with all the crap I have in it.
Thanks!

I thought you had found something that fit almost as well as the overpriced, Porsche bin. It is still a good idea. Especially to quickly remove the bin when you take car in for service.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:40 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
I got it and easy to install, cheap insurance against my idiocy.
Yep, I did the same.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No offense to anyone but damn people can literally sell anything to Porsche owners! 200 bucks for a piece of plastic that protects the top of your frunk???
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
^SoCal, love those Sport Techno wheels on the Guards Red! Want!
Thanks! Was part of the Sport Design Edition package....easy to clean which is a bonus!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
No offense to anyone but damn people can literally sell anything to Porsche owners! 200 bucks for a piece of plastic that protects the top of your frunk???
True enough, and I would rather pay $20 for the same thing. But $200 is less than 0.2% of what I paid for my 991, and reasonbly cheap "insurance" for the cost of repairing or replacing the hood (not to mention the cost of feeling like an idiot).

At least I did not spend hundreds to paid my brake calipers. (my turn to duck)
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (02-09-2024)
Old 09-13-2018, 07:59 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by basic666
That was my 1st thought. Why I posted.
If it was $40, it would seem like a reasonable price for something that should have been included by Porsche, as part of the car. For a finished look & to prevent small scratches to the metal underside.
I don't mind a bare naked, sheet metal, inside lid.
The question is...it is a real possibility to literally damage the exterior side of the Front lid. Can a moment of carelessness literally spoil the front top of this beautiful car, requiring you to spend thousands at a paint & body shop to fix? Or is it an extremely rare problem?

If I slammed the frunk lid down, on a sturdy, metal, pointy object... that was a couple inches too high to properly fit in the frunk, would this $200 piece of plastic stop it from denting or puncturing the frunk lid?

I'm not really worried about scratching the underside of the metal.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Listen, your car is a moving object. It hits bumps and things shift within any open area. If you keep nothing in the frunk ever then this is not for you. If you do use it for anything from luggage to groceries to a trip to Home Depot, then it is protection against shifting/flying objects bouncing around the interior of the frunk, potentially scratching or denting the hood. Thats it. I have never seen any vehicle produced within the last 20 years that doesnt have some sort of protection/carpeting under the hood/trunk. It is an anomaly that Porsche doesnt have some sort of underside protection. Maybe its the purist in them, or the weight savings or cosmetic. When you sell the car you can pull the liner and surely sell it on Rennlist for $150 and lose very little. As far as the cost, it is well made, comes with a perfect fit and vibration tape on underside, along with unique pressure plugs that also are a perfect fit in the slats under the frunk hood. I am glad I have it and no longer think about the cost.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:10 AM
MDJAK
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought it and alex_c was kind enough to lead me away from Suncoast to lidliners with the discount code. Installed in under two minutes and gives me peace of mind. Recently put 1900 miles on my new T from NY to Nova Scotia. Didn't have it then. Had two suitcases and a camera tripod in frunk. Was very lucky no damage caused but didn't want to take that chance again. Glad to have it now and it looks good too. I was thinking of the tub also, but I think I also like that WeatherTech mat. Normally I don't like their mats for the interior of my cars.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

I just bought it from Suncoast, sale $175 & free shipping.

My car is on the ship in the Pacific Ocean now.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:23 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

This seems really superfluous and overly paranoid to me. Although, one time I did leave the handle of my CA car duster pointing up when I very softly lowered the hood (it was way too soft to make a dent, but me being.. paranoid.. I scanned the hood anyway). Turns out the handle very lightly "touched" one of the thick metal "beams" that protect the hood already, so it wouldn't have mattered.

I keep my car cover as the lower "liner" for my frunk, so everything rests on top of it. It takes up a little space (there's tons of vertical space in there) but it keeps everything still and cushioned in there, and absorbs bumps, etc. I definitely recommend having something absorbing that sits on the floor.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:24 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A
This seems really superfluous and overly paranoid to me...
It did to me as well, which is why I created this thread.

Enough people thought it can cause damage that I decided to take advantage of the sale & free shipping. Yeah, I may have wasted $175. I do think Porsche should have included something over that bare metal. Even the hood on other cars have some type of protection/padding. As mentioned, My Jag hood & trunk both have protection.

BTW, what to you think would have happened had you not gently closed the frunk lid AND the handle end was NOT positioned right by a thick metal beam but, was against the thin sheet metal?

IDK? Do you?

I imagine I can close the frunk lid carefully, 1000 times but can see myself forgetting 1x. Maybe slamming. I would really be furious if I caused a dent. Not likely but, not impossible. I spent the $175.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
This seems really superfluous and overly paranoid to me. Although, one time I did leave the handle of my CA car duster pointing up when I very softly lowered the hood (it was way too soft to make a dent, but me being.. paranoid.. I scanned the hood anyway). Turns out the handle very lightly "touched" one of the thick metal "beams" that protect the hood already, so it wouldn't have mattered.

I keep my car cover as the lower "liner" for my frunk, so everything rests on top of it. It takes up a little space (there's tons of vertical space in there) but it keeps everything still and cushioned in there, and absorbs bumps, etc. I definitely recommend having something absorbing that sits on the floor.
Interesting post. Few thoughts:

1) Anyone who uses a CA Duster doesn't really care about their car anyways, so what would a few frunk lid dents matter.
2) Further, anyone who would keep a +$300 car cover on the bottom of their frunk cares even less.

Beware if you see in a Craig's List car add:

"Doctor owned"
"I meticulously clean my car with a California Duster"

Old 11-26-2018, 09:43 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

If you use your car in the real world for real world use and do so frequently you will have THAT moment when the lid closes on something that is sticking up ever so slightly.

Great piece of mind for that Oh **** moment.

If your car gets used on the 3rd Saturday of the month when it's 72 degrees out and 0 chance of rain and only after a full detail........... The lid liner might not be for you.

Quick Reply: Protection for underside of Frunk?