Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just How Good is a 2018 C4 GTS as a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts
Default Just How Good is a 2018 C4 GTS as a Daily Driver?

HI guys - like many of you "Porsche Attention Deficit Disorder" (PADD) owners my eye tends to wander to other Porsches, almost as if searching for the Holy Grail of driving experiences. And I do have some sort of Porsche budget that keeps me somewhat restrained in my purchases. Having said this I now have a 1998 C2S with around 65K on the odometer and a 2011 Gen-1 Boxster Spyder. They are both so radically different that it makes it fun. And some would say this is the Holy Grail of Porsche experience - the old vs new, the AC vs water cooled etc... but (yes - there is a but) what I'm running into is the sheer amount of time it's taking to service four cars (I have two others - my wife's e60 528i and a 2010 Golf) on a very tight business schedule. I'm not quite yet retired for another 10 years and it seems like this multiple car thing is great for those with a good amount of time on their hands.

Long story short, I drove a 2018 Carrera 4 GTS PDK ( https://porschelangley.com/inventory...tallic+1775021 ) the other day and really liked it, if fact REALLY liked it. It felt super tight and responsive, comfortably enough on some crappy roads, yet enough get up and go when you needed it. My question to those that own and live with a similar car is this - just how good is this car as a daily driver? Have you tired of it and long for other drives? Anyone miss their air-cooled or Spyder if you owned one? Do you miss the manual transmission? I've owned two PDK cars (Cayman and Macan) and do appreciate the PDK especially when driving in manual).

Note the price - $159,900 CND = $121K USDs

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and discussion. It's a great time of year to buy cars and the price seems right.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:32 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I think it would be great as a daily driver. I bought a 2017 991.2 C2s over two years ago and plan to keep it long term. It seems to tick all the boxes for me. Seems like the 4 GTS would be in a similar ball park, just a little more grip and power. My car is kind of in a sweet spot for me. Enough power to keep me happy and fantastic handling, but not too aggressive to ruin the long trip comfort.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:49 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Any 991 makes a great DD. They are optimized for performance+comfort. They have a surprising suppleness that comes at no compromise to handling. The all wheel drive feels a bit different than the RWD but soon becomes invisible except for added traction when needed. And the GTS is best of breed.

I have had a 914 2.0, a couple of G series 911s, and a Boxster S. All great, but for real usability and performance I wouldn't go back.

PS Don't take a GTS 991.2 to the track. It will change your preconceptions of what you thought was Porsche performance.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:49 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Short answer "pretty darn good".
Some people treat them as garage queens but they can handle bad weather very well. I drive mine every day without fail and it just gets better and better. I am spoiled to the seat and no other car feels as comfortable to me.
The only negative to daily driving any 911 is that they are loud and do have more road noise than other cars. I personally like to hear and feel the road, but to some this may be bothersome.
Its easy to get so accustomed to a car this good if you drive it a lot, that you don't appreciate it as much. I went one year between 911's thinking I would try something else and that was the WRONG decision. I really missed driving it. Once you're hooked, you're hooked.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had my 2017 C4GTS for 14 months. for the first 12 months, I daily drove it nearly every day over generally well maintained roads, surface and mostly freeway. In general, I love the car and look forward to driving it every day. To be fair, the car could use a bit more sound insulation as the tire noise at 70 MPH can get annoying for drives longer than 30-45 minutes. However, that is my only real complaint. In comfort mode the ride is very good even on bad pavement. I have never driven in snow, but driving sensibly in cold weather on the stock tires has been reasonable. Others have reported that with snow tires, the C4 (of all flavors) does quite well as long as the snow is not above the bottom lip of the car.

In the last 2 months, I moved to downtown Toronto and I only drive about once every week or 2. I do miss driving the car every day.

Bottom line, if you liked the feel of the car, then it will be an excellent daily driver.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 991.2 C2 GTS. I drive it almost every day for every type of journey all year (UK). Really excellent car. I'd echo the comments about road noise. Long motorway journeys start to drag... so I often cruise at 60mh when it is noticeably quieter
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a .2 C2S. For me the road noise is not bad at all and the ride is very comfy. I have not taken any long road trips yet, but I think it would very tolerable. I will say that the tires only have around 500 total miles on them. It remains to be seen if this stays the same at 6000 miles.
Also I don't have the lowered sport suspension that I think the gts has. I've heard the lowered sport suspension is a bit harder, though I've never compared the two back to back.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:15 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

As good as it gets !!!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:24 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a daily driver of a 911 (997 Carrera), I can say you certainly won't be disappointed by the experience of DD'ing a 911. I always smile whenever I walk out to my car in the morning to go to work, and when I leave in the afternoons. Best parts of my day.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:04 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 125 Posts

I drive this very car and I can happily report that it is a TERRIFIC daily driver. Plenty of comfort with tons of performance.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:17 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Does PDCC make the ride better? I know it improves handling, say on the track but how about as DD. I don't mean to turn this into a PDCC debate so please keep it civil and be nice. I'm just a lurker at this point.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Does PDCC make the ride better? I know it improves handling, say on the track but how about as DD. I don't mean to turn this into a PDCC debate so please keep it civil and be nice. I'm just a lurker at this point.
Are you daily driving at a track? No? Then no.

PDCC is great for squeezing the last drop of performance out of the car, but it's not something you need to worry about paying extra for in a daily driver.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:45 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Yep, similar situation here. Just too many cars, so sold the Spyder and the 911.50 earlier this year and bought a 2018 Targa. Every car is special and all have their positive and negative attributes, but I'm pretty happy with the Targa thus far. I still have the option for top-down driving when I want it, but also the added horsepower, larger interior and on-road comfort for road trips. It's still not my daily driver, but there's no reason to think it couldn't be. (but I do kind of regret selling the Spyder...).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

DaveGee
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Are you daily driving at a track? No? Then no.

PDCC is great for squeezing the last drop of performance out of the car, but it's not something you need to worry about paying extra for in a daily driver.
^ +1

DaveGee
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I notice the car stays flatter (less body roll) during hard cornering with PDCC turned on. There is no noticeable difference in ride comfort however.

Quick Reply: Just How Good is a 2018 C4 GTS as a Daily Driver?