GTS "KISS" build - comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:57 AM
cgardnerma
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GTS "KISS" build - comments welcome

Hi folks,

I've been driving a 2010 Cayman S for the last 8 years. It's a special, R-like build with all the important performance options, sport buckets, Carnewal exhaust and full leather with deviated stitching. It's still beautiful. I hit the track once a twice a year, did an occasional autocross and drive it year around on snows here in New England. The car was babied from a maintenance perspective (I have a lift and do my own wrenching), but it was driven like it is supposed to be. I was about to pull the trigger on one of the gazillion GT4's on the market as prices are softening...and then I drove a new GTS. Oops.

Here's my "Keep It Simple Stupid" build for a 2019 allocation:

ttp://www.porsche-code.com/PKM5SXG2

Money is not the issue on the build, but rather, analog simplicity and driving experience. I like the idea of less wires, servos and pumps and as little weight as possible. All that said, I am still going back and forth on RAS. I'd love some comments on the build, especially the ones that tell me I am stupid for not including x,y or z. :-)

Looking forward to joining the 991 family.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:36 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

You'll probably get a lot of comments about adding stuff for resale and whatnot - you sound like the kind of guy who will ignore all that (good for you).

My two cents:
I have a GT Silver, Black/Bordeaux - I think you'll love it.
If you track the car (I do):
RAS - it's tremendous on the track and around town (parking), highly recommend it
PDCC - it will absolutely shrink lap times, not sure it's more fun

For me as a KISS guy and a track guy, those are probably the only other things I'd consider (other than PDK which is a must for me but I get the 7-speed thing)

Enjoy the car - it's a lot more car than a Cayman.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:02 AM
verstraete
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I like it almost exactly as is. If I were to order a GTS, it would be very similar. I would probably choose another color, probably chalk, but that is purely personal preference, Since I don't track, I would not consider RAC or PDCC.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

991.2 GTS open build allocations are STILL available?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd add the Rear Active Steering. Really adds agility to the track and makes it SUPER easy to park....
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You will get a lot of comments. Since you asked:
1. Bag the Light Design Package. You wont notice it after the first time you see it. And you wont miss it.
2. You obviously considered these options and decided against them (Bose, Seat Heating, Seat Cooling). I like them all.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
991.2 GTS open build allocations are STILL available?
I know a guy...
Old 09-03-2018, 10:39 AM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Echo on the light design package delete, as well as the RAS. Not just track, the first time you parallel park or hang a u-turn, it’s amazing. Cruising at high speed, turns the car into a flying carpet.

Seat comfort stuff....now that I’ve experienced it this summer in Texas, I would pay double for it!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You won't find me agreeing with alcantara delete on a GTS, but of course that's a personal thing.

I'd keep the light design package. From my understanding without it you get incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs. It's 2018, you should have LEDs.

I'd also add RAS and PDCC. I don't track mine, but you'll feel them the first time you take a turn on the street. It feels amazing and makes the car feel extremely planted and agile even in daily driving.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:55 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Strong build. Very similar to my own minimalist approach. You will love it!

RAS is not a must have. It is a little more 911 without it.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

Great build so far. I'd encourage you to:

(1) Add back the PASM for 0$ - Great ride height.
(2) Add RAS - it will feel *MORE* nimble than your Cayman! (but might make getting winter tires harder).
(3) Skip the light design package - I don't have it an have never missed it
(4) I'm not a huge fan of the Bose - but if you listen to music at all, or plan to upgrade components later, my understanding is that the Bose adds additional components that you can't retrofit easily. Maybe reach out to one of the vendors here to ask. Just something to consider.

cheers!
Old 09-03-2018, 11:22 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

I'd want the PORSCHE and 911 Carrera GTS logo on the back painted Black, with the color and wheels you choose. The chrome logos look out of place on yours.
I want a 911 with vented seats and sunroof, but that's just me.
Also, I prefer keyless entry. No more keys in pockets or putting keys in locks and ignition. I hang mine on my belt loop when I leave the house and take it off when I'm done driving for the day.
For performance, many are unaware that just the addition of 2 options - RAS and PDCC resulted in a 30 second lap time improvement for the 991.2 GTS on the Nordschleife. Most can imagine the benefit of RAS, but are unaware that PDCC lowers the center of gravity during cornering for better control, quicker response and higher cornering g-forces. SPASM with its 20 mm lower ride height is also a solid performance addition.
Here's a GTS breaking 7:24 on the Nordschleife -
https://youtu.be/mRMJfjhVFBQ
Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I'd want the PORSCHE and 911 Carrera GTS logo on the back painted Black, with the color and wheels you choose. The chrome logos look out of place on yours.
I want a 911 with vented seats and sunroof, but that's just me.
Also, I prefer keyless entry. No more keys in pockets or putting keys in locks and ignition. I hang mine on my belt loop when I leave the house and take it off when I'm done driving for the day.
For performance, many are unaware that just the addition of 2 options - RAS and PDCC resulted in a 30.second lap time improvement for the 991.2 GTS on the Nordschleife. Most can imagine the benefit of RAS, but are unaware that PDCC lowers the center of gravity during cornering for better control, quicker response and higher cornering g-forces.
Here's a GTS breaking 7:24 on the Nordschleife -
https://youtu.be/mRMJfjhVFBQ
Agreed, black logos. And keyless entry is an absolute must IMHO. I'd also add the Bose.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:27 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 801 Posts

I love my "stripper" build. basically just ras and fal.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:13 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Agreed, black logos. And keyless entry is an absolute must IMHO. I'd also add the Bose.
Agreed. I can't tell you how many times I've had to dig my GT3's keys out of my pocket once I was in my seat because every other car we own has keyless entry. $150K for a car without truly is inexcusable.

Quick Reply: GTS "KISS" build - comments welcome