Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS "KISS" build - comments welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are an analogue guy, (it sounds like you are) Ditch the RAS and FAL and PDCC. All not needed at all. Great if you are a dentist. But if you want to track and love purity, then absolutely not needed at all.

I was told by a stack of track guys not needed. BBI actually now offer a RAS delete, as more and more track GT3 guys want it off their car. Its another thing to over heat and fail. If you drive the to mall and worry about manoeuvring your car, than RAS is for you. if you want pure analogue feedback, don't waste the coin.
I can see where you’re coming from but the current 911 has a drive-by-wire throttle, electric steering, stability management, etc. before you’ve ticked anything on the options list. It’s about as digital as they come and you can’t change it. That said, it doesn’t *feel* like a bunch of computers deciding what to do, despite driver inputs, it just feels like the fantastic sports car it is.

I can’t sense when RAS/PDCC are doing their thing, they just make the car handle and ride better compared to one without those options. If it was a “computer says no” moment at every corner, I’d be in agreement but after 5,000miles I think they enhance the driving experience.

If you want analogue purity, get a 964...
Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I can see where you’re coming from but the current 911 has a drive-by-wire throttle, electric steering, stability management, etc. before you’ve ticked anything on the options list. It’s about as digital as they come and you can’t change it. That said, it doesn’t *feel* like a bunch of computers deciding what to do, despite driver inputs, it just feels like the fantastic sports car it is.
I can’t sense when RAS/PDCC are doing their thing, they just make the car handle and ride better compared to one without those options. If it was a “computer says no” moment at every corner, I’d be in agreement but after 5,000miles I think they enhance the driving experience.
If you want analogue purity, get a 964...
Agreed. I can't feel any computers either. Im not buying that reasoning. It simply drives and feels like the best driving and handling Porsche sports car ever. Also bear in bear that just the addition of PDCC & RAS to the GTS resulted in a 30 seconds lap time drop on the Nordschleife for the Porsche factory test team, to 7 minutes 24 seconds. That is hugely faster. What track hound wouldn't love this??
Old 09-04-2018, 12:19 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Agreed. I can't feel any computers either. Im not buying that reasoning. It simply drives and feels like the best driving and handling Porsche sports car ever. Also bear in bear that just the addition of PDCC & RAS to the GTS resulted in a 30 seconds lap time drop on the Nordschleife for the Porsche factory test team, to 7 minutes 24 seconds. That is hugely faster. What track hound wouldn't love this??
100% agree with both of you. If you want an analog car, the 991 is the wrong choice, period. RAS/PDCC completely transform the car and make it feel unlike anything else I've driven. If you're going to have a digital car with all kinds of modern technology built in before you check a single box, pretending to be a purist by not getting options that without a doubt make the car perform better just doesn't make sense. The 991 is not by any stretch of the imagination an analog car, so stop with the self delusion.

After having lived with my GTS with RAS/PDCC, I would never get a 911 without it if it was an option on that model. It's that good, and it would be a deal breaker now for me if a car didn't have it.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

At the very least I would recommend RAS, which is hard to describe the way it makes the car feel but if you drove one with it I think you would agree. Personally, I passed on the PDCC though.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 PM
cgardnerma
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of votes here for RAS, which has been consistent with all of the reading I have been doing the last couple of days. I'm no purist, to be sure, and a few seconds at the track is not the driving factor behind my build. That said, if something dramatically improves the driving experience - on the track or off - I'm into it. Many have said RAS does that. Opinions on PDCC seem to be more mixed and I have to admit it does bug me that they put the hydraulic pump for PDCC where they used to put the hydraulic steering pump they said we needed to remove for efficiency. LOL.

Thanks all. Love this forum.

Quick Reply: GTS "KISS" build - comments welcome