991.2 Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 04:07 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by JLetson
My 2018 C4S when fully warmed up idles at around 14 psi oil pressure. I'm a bit of a newbie to Porsche, but to me that seems low. Can someone school me a bit?
Welcome to rennlist! This thread is from 2018, in the future consider just opening up a new thread if you can't find a recent one.

14 is going to be the lowest I'd allow myself seeing before getting seriously worried. Definitely not comfortable as a personal preference, but it's not damaging anything. As oil ages it loses some viscosity, so if you're near the end of the oil cycle this is fine. Otherwise consider stepping up the viscosity. I've run Rotella T6 5w40 without issue in mine. I'm currently running one of the liquimoly oils FCP sells and I idle ever so slightly lower pressure than the T6. Something like 16psi at full OT at a low idle.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Keep in mind these engines have variable flow oil pumps. Your pressure will be determined by many factors: temp, load, RPM, and probably some other things that Porsche is monitoring to assure optimal pressure.
I came back to this thread because I was looking up some info on the 3.8L Engine Performance Circuit diagrams in the Porsche Service Manual and noted on page 5 of 6 in that section that is shows an Oil Pressure Regulating Valve controlled by the DME. That is new to me coming from my 993 where things are so much more simpler.

Originally Posted by asellus
Welcome to rennlist! This thread is from 2018, in the future consider just opening up a new thread if you can't find a recent one.
I have to ask because I see that so often on the car and motorcycle forums I take part in. I often wondered, if the topic is directly related, who cares how old the thread is. Its not like the topic covers 50 pages and you have to sift through them. Does RL get a commission on the number of threads?
Old 10-01-2022, 07:56 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I have to ask because I see that so often on the car and motorcycle forums I take part in. I often wondered, if the topic is directly related, who cares how old the thread is. Its not like the topic covers 50 pages and you have to sift through them. Does RL get a commission on the number of threads?
Not sure on the last part, I don't work for IB. Just a volunteer.

It's generally considered poor decorum to revive an old thread, especially to derail it and/or take it over. See my recent valuation post -- I could have bumped one from six months ago, but opted to create (yet) another thread, as it was specifically about my car.

It pushes to the top an older thread, marking it "active" for search engines, which will place it higher in the results list when searching for something. This has potential unintended side effects, such as hiding a newer thread that may have more recent information.

It's also just nice to see new threads from new users.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 07:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

^ got it!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Pressure