Sponsored by:

Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
Same thing for me on my C2 2013. front and rear replaced with new glass and seals under warranty. When I first asked the dealer about it, they seemed to imply that if the car had come from TX or AZ, then the heat over there may be the reason. But, I'm the original owner and the car was picked up at Zuffenhausen and always been in california.

Any cars should be able to take AZ or TX heat. What a dumb comment. Any Toyota or Honda does fine.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:47 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I started to see the "goop" appearing around the windshield AND rear glass on my GTS.... I took it over to my dealer, and as I was dropping the car off for State inspection stickers, I asked my SA about it. Without hesitation my SA said she would order new glass and it would be replaced under warranty. I was given a nifty '18 Macan S while I left the car in their service bay for a few days. Glass was delivered next day, installed day after.

For kicks, here's some pics of the glass "out" (sorry for quality: I asked the tech to take a couple and as he was doing so for warranty purposes sent me these....):

Noted that the entire windshield wiper assemblies were removed... Will have to do some thorough testing on pick-up to make sure nothing was discomboobalated in the removal / install process!

The rear glass out... I had to pay to have the rear glass re-tinted.... I had dark tint all-around, and not re-tinting the rear would have looked odd.... I have yet to retrieve the car, so it will be interesting to see if the tint matches (esp since the existing tint was applied by someone else several years back!).

Replacement glass all covered under warranty -- I would tell anyone still under warranty / CPO to get their seals checked before you lose the warranty coverage and get the glass replaced!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:47 AM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Had my front windshield replaced under warranty around the time this post was originally made (pictures below). Just noticed today that the rear has the same issue.

Hopefully the dealer doesn't mind doing the rear. Seems like a somewhat common issue.

Last edited by ericmeds; 06-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:40 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ericmeds
Had my front windshield replaced under warranty around the time this post was originally made (pictures below). Just noticed today that the rear has the same issue.

Hopefully the dealer doesn't mind doing the rear as well since they acted like they were doing me a favor when the front was replaced. Seems like a somewhat common issue.
As noted in my post just above, BOTH front and rear are replaceable under warranty -- too bad you didn't have them done at same time! I've noted that the sealing around the new glass front and rear seems to be much less "noticeable" than prior on my 991 GTS.

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:37 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

DUPLICATE
Old 01-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Well, I started to see the "goop" appearing around the windshield AND rear glass on my GTS.... I took it over to my dealer, and as I was dropping the car off for State inspection stickers, I asked my SA about it. Without hesitation my SA said she would order new glass and it would be replaced under warranty. I was given a nifty '18 Macan S while I left the car in their service bay for a few days. Glass was delivered next day, installed day after.

For kicks, here's some pics of the glass "out" (sorry for quality: I asked the tech to take a couple and as he was doing so for warranty purposes sent me these....):

Noted that the entire windshield wiper assemblies were removed... Will have to do some thorough testing on pick-up to make sure nothing was discomboobalated in the removal / install process!

The rear glass out... I had to pay to have the rear glass re-tinted.... I had dark tint all-around, and not re-tinting the rear would have looked odd.... I have yet to retrieve the car, so it will be interesting to see if the tint matches (esp since the existing tint was applied by someone else several years back!).

Replacement glass all covered under warranty -- I would tell anyone still under warranty / CPO to get their seals checked before you lose the warranty coverage and get the glass replaced!
Hi, I’m changing the front windshield due to rubber melting, may I know whether the interior back view mirror needs to be detached from the old front glass and then put on to the new replacement windshield? Or the new replacement windshield would also come with the new back view mirror attached? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinson Lau

Hi, I’m changing the front windshield due to rubber melting, may I know whether the interior back view mirror needs to be detached from the old front glass and then put on to the new replacement windshield? Or the new replacement windshield would also come with the new back view mirror attached? Thanks.
My original rear view mirror was detached and reinstalled on the new glass.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7

+1 what he ^ said....
Old 01-12-2019, 04:27 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My tint guy likes to get the glass first and do the tinting. So fast and cheaper. See if your dealer will have the glass sent to your tint guy first. Should not be a big issue.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Kinson Lau
AutoX

Smile

Originally Posted by plenum
+1 what he ^ said....
Thanks for the sharing, Plenum.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I had mine replaced under warranty; both front and rear
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I need to have mine replaced as well. I saw that recall notice said it was for 2017's and mine is a 2015. Any updated if mine will be covered? It is clearly the same thing.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM
porsche42
Racer

You know I just noticed that on my back windshield. I though it was just grease or something. But it looks like what you guys
have been seeing. Mine is a 2015 though, still under warranty for a few more weeks, I'll check out the dealership tomorrow to
see if it's still under warranty.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimon777
I need to have mine replaced as well. I saw that recall notice said it was for 2017's and mine is a 2015. Any updated if mine will be covered? It is clearly the same thing.
My 2014 coupe’s glass, front & rear was replaced under warranty in 2016. I don’t see why they wouldn’t honor your claim.

Quick Reply: Windshield “goop” adhesive issue.