Sponsored by:

Dash cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Dash cam install?

Anyone do it yourself? I hardwired my radar detector in my e92 m3 years ago, didn't know if installing a dash cam on a 991.2 is straightforward. If not does anyone know any good shops in Ventura county CA, in around the thousand oaks area.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

you can DIY, took me about 20 mins

is really straight forward, just tap from the fuse box in the foot well
Old 08-30-2018, 05:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

The trickiest part on some cars is getting the A-Pillar trim off (on one of the two styles), popping off the trim around the fuse box, and picking the fuse location to tap. You can go to either the drivers or the passenger's side on a 991.2.

The two variations of removing the A-Pillar trim are described in this thread from flickroll: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1048...removal-2.html. Be sure to read my post #20 in that thread, calling out the second variation.

(Edit: see images for the following in post 15)
The trim around the fuse box requires you to pull the back edge of the trim nearest the feet/pedal towards the pedals. It is held in place by two extra-strong Velcro-type fasteners. Once those are released, that trim pivots up in a movement parallel to the door, lifting from the bottom first (snap at the bottom). Attached to the top of that is a piece of trim that runs alongside the instrument panel. That should slide down and out once unsnapped from the fusebox trim piece (from behind). With all of those out of the way it is easy to run a wire to the fusebox.

Some opt to tap into some wires in the mirror trim but I don't know how to do that. I needed both switched and unswitched power for parking mode on the camera and I think you can only get that at the fusebox.

Note that once the fusebox trim is slid out the velcro-like blocks may fall out. Be sure to put those back in their slots before reattaching.

Last edited by StormRune; 09-06-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:15 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Thanks, any recommendations on dash came? Don't need anything fancy just reliable. Would be neat if there was a cabling solution that could power any device if I decide to change it.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:32 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I've hardwired into the fuse box on four previous cars, but the passenger footwell power socket works for me in the 911. It powers up as soon as you open a door (the camera has booted and is running before you drive off) and stays on for about 30mins after locking and walking away. The wire tucks into the headlining (too) easily on this car and needs a bit of goo to stop it falling out. The fit behind the A-pillar is good and snug (no need to remove it), then along to the front of the dash and down under/across to the socket.

I have a Blackvue in the 911 and have others, but the market has been growing for many years so is quite competitive. Get a 12V one, some are 5V expecting to be powered by a USB socket or included regulator.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
Thanks, any recommendations on dash came? Don't need anything fancy just reliable. Would be neat if there was a cabling solution that could power any device if I decide to change it.
Hey Chang, what did you wind up buying?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:25 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i have a Vanture N2, just the 1080p (not the 4k) works great low profile

https://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/5.html
Old 08-31-2018, 12:49 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
i have a Vanture N2, just the 1080p (not the 4k) works great low profile

https://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gid/5.html
I was looking at the same one, can you share a pic of it mounted, from outside your car? I was worried that it was too big and might be a target for window smashing

Also for those with a dash cam, it seems like there are connectors near the center console on top by the garage door openers, instead running it all the way to the driver/passenger side panels, is this true?
Old 08-31-2018, 05:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I had a VanTrue X2 but had to keep reformatting the memory card after I would realize it had quietly stopped recording... and that was with a top-quality high-endurance memory card. I would have stuck with it since the image quality was really good but knowing that it would at times just stop made it's use questionable to me. It wasn't just a one-off problem with one unit either since I had two and both of them were doing it.

That's why I decided to splurge and get a ThinkWare F800, which was still cheaper than the BlackVue and I liked its mount better since it makes it easy to move it back and forth between whatever car I am driving. I've had it for many months now and its recording is rock solid. The ThinkWare also has some whiz-bang image processing capabilities for lane-drift detection, collision warning, and an little ding to let you know when you are still and the car in front of you has moved forward. I've turned all of that off though since it was just too chatty and was giving too many alerts.

If I were buying another camera I would also consider the new OwlCam, but maybe not since I hate having thing with recurring costs in general. Dunno. But it is pretty slick.

Last edited by StormRune; 08-31-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 AM
2cardinalalums
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easy to tap into the fuse box as others mentioned. I had to buy an "add a circuit" off of amazon -
Amazon Amazon
then, it was easy to tap into a fuse. use either the one for ventilated seats or PDCC. for my 991.1, the list of fuses are in the manual on pg 257.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Hey Chang, what did you wind up buying?
Got a T, freaking awesome.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 AM
dchang81
Instructor

which fuse do u use for the permanent power and for the switched power? also how do you route the wiring to the rear for a rear camera setup? This is for a 991.2 T
Old 09-04-2018, 10:17 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

If you opt for the driver's side on a 991.2, I used B3 (Alarm Horn) for permanent power and D1 (Rear wiper - which I don't have) for switched power. The fuse box door closes completely with the taps but they are certainly right against the door.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you opt for the driver's side on a 991.2, I used B3 (Alarm Horn) for permanent power and D1 (Rear wiper - which I don't have) for switched power. The fuse box door closes completely with the taps but they are certainly right against the door.

Thanks! Got the camera today, gonna take a look tonight, if I start breaking snaps I guess i'll take it in to get installed.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Here's a couple of images that may help clarify my descriptions in post 3 earlier.

In the first picture that is a spring-snap that you release by pulling the bottom of the part shown in blue outwards using a trim tool. It's not clear but then the upper part of the blue piece slides down and out of the A-pillar trim (if it hasn't already been removed).

It may be hard to tell but the "C" arrow in the last image shows pulling the bottom out in a direction parallel to the door panel, towards the back of the car. Once the bottom is unsnapped, the bottom pivots outward and a plastic hook at the top of the trim pivots out of its slot.

Quick Reply: Dash cam install?