Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
Perfect! Thank you.
You're welcome
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

A FWIW. In the last photo in my post above you can see our garbage can. You say, so what?

The company, Time Disposal, is the company whose garbage truck was involved in the Amtrak accident last week. If you remember, a train chartered by the GOP for travel to The Greenbrier for a retreat struck a garbage truck that was either fully or partially on the track. One of the workers on the garbage truck was killed, and a number of passengers on the train were injured, as were the other Time Disposal employees. As it turns out that Time Disposal crew is the one that services our house, and I know/knew all of them, and they all were always very cheerful and helpful. RIP

Last edited by flickroll; 02-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Sad to hear that, it puts our first-world issues in perspective.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Interestingly, it appears that my 2017 991.2 C2S uses a different design for the A pillar trim. And where you have an airbag tucked back there, my car does not. I wonder if they added a bag or moved one? The whole structure back there is quite different.

I was trying to probe down and find the release you referenced with a trim tool and wasn't having much luck, so I tried pulling out some more to get a peek back there and the upper clip popped free. Mine just uses a combination of 2 spring clips and a plastic pin and a plastic guide. Here are the photos of what I found.

For anyone else doing this, you start popping it out from the top side working down in either design, since the bottom of the trim slips down next the the dash top and a tab slips down into the plastic trim strip at the side of the instrument panel.

Like Mikex25 said, on the design in this car you pull towards the center of the car (about 45 degrees from the windshield and 45 degrees from the side window). Ideally you'd use angled-end trim tools on both sides a few inches down to release the upper clip. Pull the lower clips out after that. Leave the bottom in place until all the clips are free then pull it up and out so you don't scratch the dashtop.

In any case I now have my radar detector and dash cam hooked up with the wires nicely concealed behind all of the trim. I went ahead and ran the wires to the fusebox using fuse taps since my dash cam wants both switched and unswitched power to support automatic parking mode.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:10 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Interestingly, it appears that my 2017 991.2 C2S uses a different design for the A pillar trim. And where you have an airbag tucked back there, my car does not. I wonder if they added a bag or moved one? The whole structure back there is quite different.

I was trying to probe down and find the release you referenced with a trim tool and wasn't having much luck, so I tried pulling out some more to get a peek back there and the upper clip popped free. Mine just uses a combination of 2 spring clips and a plastic pin and a plastic guide. Here are the photos of what I found.

In any case I now have my radar detector and dash cam hooked up with the wires nicely concealed behind all of the trim. I went ahead and ran the wires to the fusebox using fuse taps since my dash cam wants both switched and unswitched power to support automatic parking mode.

mine is is the same as yours
Old 02-15-2018, 10:16 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

You guys are lucky, that method is easy peasy. Mine is a totally different arrangement. Mine is a 10/17 build so they changed it at some point in time.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune

For anyone else doing this, you start popping it out from the top side working down in either design, since the bottom of the trim slips down next the the dash top and a tab slips down into the plastic trim strip at the side of the instrument panel.

Like Mikex25 said, on the design in this car you pull towards the center of the car (about 45 degrees from the windshield and 45 degrees from the side window). Ideally you'd use angled-end trim tools on both sides a few inches down to release the upper clip. Pull the lower clips out after that. Leave the bottom in place until all the clips are free then pull it up and out so you don't scratch the dashtop.

Tried this, and worked excellent. Thanks for the procedure. I have trim tools and didn't even need them! I'll go ahead and order my alcantara A-pillar covers now.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:28 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

This is an awesome thread as it's exactly what I've been looking for with regards to part of a dash cam installation.

I'm having trouble with the first post though. What sort of trim tool did you use (how long and wide, etc.) and what exactly do you to do release the clip? I've been staring at the pics and just can't work out in my brain how it works. Do you just move the metal thing downwards by pushing on it? What moves it back when you put the thing back on, or is that obvious once it's off?

With regard to the two different types... is yours a convertible? Did the trim piece have any indication like an SRS label or something to show there's an airbag behind it? I'm wondering if there's a simple way to tell one type from the other just by looking at it.

Edit: I see in the later pics and in your signature that it's not a convertible so that's moot. SRS label maybe?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing this information. I am currently waiting for two new A-Pillar Covers for my 2018 991.2 GTS ... both A-Pillar Covers are hanging open at the top about an 1/8 of an inch.

My dealer Service Consultant didn't admit that his techs broke them removing them when fixing a problem with the sunroof roller sunblind. Now I am thinking the techs likely didn't know of the design change and damaged them try to remove them.

Thanks again.
JR1946
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
This is an awesome thread as it's exactly what I've been looking for with regards to part of a dash cam installation.

I'm having trouble with the first post though. What sort of trim tool did you use (how long and wide, etc.) and what exactly do you to do release the clip? I've been staring at the pics and just can't work out in my brain how it works. Do you just move the metal thing downwards by pushing on it? What moves it back when you put the thing back on, or is that obvious once it's off?

With regard to the two different types... is yours a convertible? Did the trim piece have any indication like an SRS label or something to show there's an airbag behind it? I'm wondering if there's a simple way to tell one type from the other just by looking at it.

Edit: I see in the later pics and in your signature that it's not a convertible so that's moot. SRS label maybe?
I used a long, straight, and skinny trim tool. You could probably just use a long screwdriver to push the clip to the unlatched position. And yes, just push on it until it stops moving. After that a good tug on th A pillar cover and it will pop right off.

When you are reinstalling the cover, put the clip in the locked position first. The tiny piece of metal in the racetrack hole is what keeps the clip in the locked position. Engage the lower part of the cover that intersects with the dashboard, then move up a little and engage the lower spring clip and then lastly engage the upper spring clip and rod and ball. The rod and ball is a two step push. You will feel/hear it engage, and then a second push locks it on the rod/ball.

It’s pretty easy once you see how the upper spring clip works.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 AM
serottab
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gordon ~
2019 Targa arrived - Removed the overhead console as you described, thanks! Do you recall which switchable 12V connector you tapped into? I probed the three visible and all were ~12V hot with ignition off. I really do not wish to attempt removal of the A-Pillar cover, it is TIGHT!
Thanks for any additional help.
Happy motoring all -

Last edited by serottab; 12-02-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-31-2019, 11:17 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

#Flickroll FTW

Just removed the passenger side A pillar on my 2019 C4S to install a Blackvue 750S-2CH. Without Flickroll's post, I would have never seen that clip and there is no way the A-pillar was coming off.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

PSA: OP's procedure also worked for a 2019 718 Cayman. The A pillar cover has the same phallic post as the 991.2. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM
scottlma
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there supposed to be an airbag in the A pillar or are they just specific to GTS (and above $) cars ? I wonder if my 991.2 2017 C4S coupe has A pillar Airbag - anyone know how to find out ?

Quick Reply: 991.2 A Pillar Cover Removal