Door bass rattle FIXED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Add me to this list as well

Driver's side door rattling under bumps or heavier bass/louder music, which is mildly irritating and sadly not isolated as all my 991s have had a rattle somewhere in the interior...

Trying to narrow down the culprit, my rattle is coming from the storage cubby hinge/door/cover in the driver's side door panel

Not quite at the stage of setting my car on fire lol, need to find time to figure out how to safely take the door panel off without destroying the car and see what's what
See post #7 in this thread. Super easy.

Your rattle sounds like mine (in my 981). I fixed it with three small strips of weatherstripping.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Add me to this list as well

Driver's side door rattling under bumps or heavier bass/louder music, which is mildly irritating and sadly not isolated as all my 991s have had a rattle somewhere in the interior...

Trying to narrow down the culprit, my rattle is coming from the storage cubby hinge/door/cover in the driver's side door panel

Not quite at the stage of setting my car on fire lol, need to find time to figure out how to safely take the door panel off without destroying the car and see what's what
As an FYI, I went through every possible rattle fix documented here and elsewhere. Eventually with the help of a tone generator I was able to isolate a rattling window motor body. I just cut a strip of dynomat and wrapped it. Then moved on to the next rattle....
Old 05-09-2019, 12:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I need to fly you down here to FL to find & fix the rattle that seems to be coming from the rear seat door panel area on the passenger's side...every time I think I have it fixed it comes back.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:17 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
As an FYI, I went through every possible rattle fix documented here and elsewhere. Eventually with the help of a tone generator I was able to isolate a rattling window motor body. I just cut a strip of dynomat and wrapped it. Then moved on to the next rattle....
that sounds labor intensive.. yikes

I lived with the rattles in my last 2 991s, I may just ultimately get lazy and make it 3 for 3

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
See post #7 in this thread. Super easy.

Your rattle sounds like mine (in my 981). I fixed it with three small strips of weatherstripping.
nice, will check out that video. did you pinpoint exactly where the rattle came from? was it clips on your end as well?

reason I ask is because on mine it has to do directly with the cubby "lid" as when I apply a bit of pressure on it or move it out/open, the rattle goes away
Old 05-09-2019, 01:52 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I need to fly you down here to FL to find & fix the rattle that seems to be coming from the rear seat door panel area on the passenger's side...every time I think I have it fixed it comes back.
I just did that panel on mine. There are some rubber isolation strips that easily fall off when installing the panel. I also added a couple of strips of HD foam where plastic hooks touched metal brackets without any isolation. Fitting the panel carefully was key though: if it doesn't fully seat, the clips on the top of the panel work their way lose, and then rattle against the lower lip of the window frame.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:55 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

that sounds labor intensive.. yikes

Really easy. The door panel isn't hard to remove and the inner panel comes off quickly with the help of a fork to pull rivets. A tone generator for your phone is a great help, connect to the radio via bluetooth and find the right frequency.
The following users liked this post:
DR911s (03-29-2024)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really easy. The door panel isn't hard to remove and the inner panel comes off quickly with the help of a fork to pull rivets. A tone generator for your phone is a great help, connect to the radio via bluetooth and find the right frequency.
Suncoast also sells a CD Disc for squeaks and rattles on their website.
Cman21
Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I just did that panel on mine. There are some rubber isolation strips that easily fall off when installing the panel. I also added a couple of strips of HD foam where plastic hooks touched metal brackets without any isolation. Fitting the panel carefully was key though: if it doesn't fully seat, the clips on the top of the panel work their way lose, and then rattle against the lower lip of the window frame.
Thanks. Where do I start pulling to remove that panel? Or use a trim removal tool? Just to be clear it is the rear panel on the side that has the speaker in it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

nice, will check out that video. did you pinpoint exactly where the rattle came from? was it clips on your end as well?

reason I ask is because on mine it has to do directly with the cubby "lid" as when I apply a bit of pressure on it or move it out/open, the rattle goes away
Mine was not the clips.

I had the same issue as you. All I had to do to make the rattle go away was push or pull on the cubby door.

Look at this screenshot from the video in post 7. I put three small strips of weatherstripping on the black piece circled in blue. Dead silence since.

The only thing I'll mention is to make sure the little rubber bits properly fit in their slots when you are reinstalling the door panel. You'll understand when you pull the panel.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Thanks. Where do I start pulling to remove that panel? Or use a trim removal tool? Just to be clear it is the rear panel on the side that has the speaker in it.
PM me your email and I will send a PDF.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

PM me your email and I will send a PDF.
Thanks Chris and I will give it a shot...ratlles be damned.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:36 PM
991>997
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and thanks for the advice! I managed to fix a bass rattle in my door. It was the airbag control module for anyone else experiencing the same issues and unsure of what it could be. I took the panel off and then put some bassy music on and could hear the rattling in the unit even though it was well secured. I just created thick loops of felt tape to stick behind the unit to stop it vibrating.

Unfortunately fixing one problem has created another 2. 1) I threaded one of the 4 screws. Has anyone got any guidance on what the replacement part/screw is? 2) It seems to have created another rattle so I'll be removing the panel again once I find a replacement screw

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Rd904
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Mine was not the clips.

I had the same issue as you. All I had to do to make the rattle go away was push or pull on the cubby door.

Look at this screenshot from the video in post 7. I put three small strips of weatherstripping on the black piece circled in blue. Dead silence since.

The only thing I'll mention is to make sure the little rubber bits properly fit in their slots when you are reinstalling the door panel. You'll understand when you pull the panel.
Heard door rattle on way home from dealer; returned 4x to the dealer, CPO'd, replaced door panel, speaker and tried some insulation. Still rattle. Worse when cold out. Could improve by pulling or pushing hard on door pull handle or cubby door. They clearly didn't read this thread. Door easy to remove--You tube video above was helpful except the removal of the door handle cable took a few tries...... Weatherstripping foam insulation placed in blue area above and few other places using tone generator app and problem solved. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 AM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bob Z, did you get this resolved? I have a rattle in the same area and would like to give this a go if you still have access to the "guide".
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2020, 03:28 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

A couple weeks ago my car's passenger-side door started rattling in sync with bass on the stereo. It was driving me CRAZY. Finally got around to looking in to it this weekend.

Two years ago the dealer replaced both door panels under warranty due to warping. Well, apparently the tech didn’t take care when removing all the wiring from the old panel and instead of replacing the wiring zip-tie "tabs" that secure it to the door, he just used the old ones he broke. He even held two of them in place with painters tape!!

Anyway, I’m not exactly sure exactly which one was causing the rattling, so I pulled all five that were loose/broken and just re-secured the wiring with actual zip ties. My guess is the rattle was from one or both of the ones "held down" from the painters tape and the tape lost it's stickiness after a couple years. Honestly, I don't know why they aren't secured with actual zip ties to begin with instead of the fancy zip-tie fasteners that clip into the door and almost always break when removed. You can get a pack of 100 zip ties for like $3. Simple enough to cut the old and replace with new ones if you ever have to remove the wiring from the door panel.

Rattle is completely gone now and I can go back to enjoying my commute to and from work!

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 06-15-2020 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (06-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Door bass rattle FIXED!!!