Sponsored by:

Please Sir, may I have some more? - COBB Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:09 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts
Default Please Sir, may I have some more? - COBB Tune

After a few small set backs I have the COBB tune on. We made the mistake of loading the tune on the car, on the dyno. Probably not the smartest thing to do, load a new tune and then redline it.

Needless to say, it wasn't happy. To cut a long storey short, I used the COBB AP to revert to stock tune. I drove around the block a couple of time, and then reloaded the tune. I must say, that is a very simple process.
At first, I couldn't really tell if the tune was on or not. Being in a little traffic. So down low felt almost the same as stock. Very smooth.
Then when there was a break in the traffic I floored it. All I can say is YEAH BABY! The up top power is very noticeable. Its like it has an extra power band up top and pulls like a train. That brought a huge smile to the face.
I never got much seat time yesterday.

Today I took the car on a long, nice country drive. : ) You know the sort......No one else for miles, some nice twisties and also open road. : ))

The car definitely started adapting to the tune. It's epic and I love it. I can tell it is a very conservative tune. There is plenty more left on the table. I am sure this will quench the thirsts of the majority of people.

However....in the words of Oliver Twist.....Please Sir, may I have some more? Look forward to Stage 2.

The following users liked this post:
9ONCE (10-11-2019)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:18 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

congrats! I'm jealous. how high does the boost kick up to with the tune? i've seen my .2 4 GTS goes up to 18 max. and i'm curious how quickly does the boost reach max boost with the tune compared to the gradual touch of max boost at the upper end of rpm on stock?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usccharles
congrats! I'm jealous. how high does the boost kick up to with the tune? i've seen my .2 4 GTS goes up to 18 max. and i'm curious how quickly does the boost reach max boost with the tune compared to the gradual touch of max boost at the upper end of rpm on stock?
I'm not sure. I haven't played with the AP much. (Other than putting tune on. ) I thought it was very mild, only around 16 psi. You can tell they have very gradually and conservatively ramped it up.

Its awesome. 100% Street smooth. But I can tell there is way more to be had. I look forward to it.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:16 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

looking forward to more feedback as you get to play with it more. congrats again
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Happy for you! Congrats. Looking forward to your comments.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I think COBB took a page out of the Porsche book and left the stage 1 tune relatively mild. Relatively meaning not anywhere close to max boost or max HP.
Just like Porsche left room in the MAP to go up from base model to GTS, I think COBB left some room to go from Stage 1 to Stage 3.
Its still a significant increase over stock and if it was like this from the factory I think nearly no one would complain
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had mine on my base for a few days - took about 50 miles for the DME to adapt properly after it had been reset for other unrelated issues. very OEM like until you mash the pedal and the car roars into a whole diff animal. Insane !
make sure update the firmware first on AP via USB/comp before applying tune.
have not got a chance to open it up on a long drive yet. Totally overkill for local driving. But its there on tap if u need it. I can see why that All you need is 370hp thread makes sense now.
noticed the burbles are less in Sport although after about 100 miles they seem to be coming back more. Perhaps Cobb can chime in on this.
have not launched it yet - nervous that all the power may make it go all Mustang on me.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

So how did it do on the dyno?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:59 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usccharles
looking forward to more feedback as you get to play with it more. congrats again
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Happy for you! Congrats. Looking forward to your comments.
Cheers

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I think COBB took a page out of the Porsche book and left the stage 1 tune relatively mild. Relatively meaning not anywhere close to max boost or max HP.
Just like Porsche left room in the MAP to go up from base model to GTS, I think COBB left some room to go from Stage 1 to Stage 3.
Its still a significant increase over stock and if it was like this from the factory I think nearly no one would complain
On this, we totally agree. : )

Originally Posted by blurum
had mine on my base for a few days - took about 50 miles for the DME to adapt properly after it had been reset for other unrelated issues. very OEM like until you mash the pedal and the car roars into a whole diff animal. Insane !
make sure update the firmware first on AP via USB/comp before applying tune.
have not got a chance to open it up on a long drive yet. Totally overkill for local driving. But its there on tap if u need it. I can see why that All you need is 370hp thread makes sense now.
noticed the burbles are less in Sport although after about 100 miles they seem to be coming back more. Perhaps Cobb can chime in on this.
have not launched it yet - nervous that all the power may make it go all Mustang on me.
Good tip thanks. I never checked about firmware update. I will take it off and update and reload, when I get some time. I also thought the burbles appeared quieter at first. Cheers

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
So how did it do on the dyno?
We had the Stock graph loaded in red on the screen and then started the dyno with the tune on was marking in Green. It was a very nice delta up to 3,400 and then it died. As in cut power no more reading.
Then subsequent reading were starting out lower than stock and would cut out. My car hates the dyno, there has to be a better way. You basically get one shot, and the car has completely heat soaked. I am not going to put my car through that again. I race enough cars and know who beats me by how much. So I am out for a couple of races today, and see if I can real in some pesky highly tuned M4's and M3's. The M4 has 480HP at the wheels. I raced him after the dyno on stock tune and he pulled two car lengths on me, 3 times in a row. That should be different today.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Thanks.

. I race enough cars and know who beats me by how much. So I am out for a couple of races today, and see if I can real in some pesky highly tuned M4's and M3's. The M4 has 480HP at the wheels. I raced him after the dyno on stock tune and he pulled two car lengths on me, 3 times in a row. That should be different today.
Congrats on getting your car tuned finally! Im eagerly waiting for the the stg.2 also. I want to protune my car, Im wondering when that function will be opened up.

I want to hear the results of this! I think you should probably have him without an issue. Your running a tune, filter, AMS IC's and bypass pipes(or sport cats)?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:48 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Congrats on getting your car tuned finally! Im eagerly waiting for the the stg.2 also. I want to protune my car, Im wondering when that function will be opened up.

I want to hear the results of this! I think you should probably have him without an issue. Your running a tune, filter, AMS IC's and bypass pipes(or sport cats)?
Hmmmm, I lost again. Getting sick of this LOL. The M4 was about 20 HP more than the M3 on the dyno. But the M3 is virtually straight through pipe. Its loud as hell. He pumped 3 gallons of E85 in his tank just before we raced.

And He handed us our A$$. I was on stock fuel (98RON which is your 93OCT) . I do have the AMS IC and the IPD plenum. But my full exhaust (PSE) is still stock and stock air filter.

I need Akra 300 Cell cats and Headers and Stage 2 Tune. I don't like loosing. It's not right LOL. I kill them from a dig. But these runs were from an 80km/hr roll. Otherwise they burst into wheel spin. The M4 has 750n/m torque.

My shop believes that Pro Tuning should be available in 6-8 Weeks time. COBB were saying that they expect to release Stage 2 around OCT-NOV, but that was fluid.

(P.S. Both the M4 and M3 have full catless and exhaust, and intake, and full custom tunes.) They are both moving to E85 shortly. I won't have a chance until stage 3.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 AM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

Would love to see an E85 tune from Cobb as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:40 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad you are enjoying it!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 08-22-2018, 05:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Would love to see an E85 tune from Cobb as well.
E85 has some nice benefits:

1. It's cheap (less than $2/gallon in some places)
2. It has the detonation resistance of about 106 Octane
3. It keeps the engine very cool on the track

If the fuel system won't dissolve (most modern ones cope well with alcohol), it would be a nice option (especially with switchable maps on the AccessPort like I have with my Evo) or Flex-Fuel sensors.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hmmmm, I lost again. Getting sick of this LOL. The M4 was about 20 HP more than the M3 on the dyno. But the M3 is virtually straight through pipe. Its loud as hell. He pumped 3 gallons of E85 in his tank just before we raced.

And He handed us our A$$. I was on stock fuel (98RON which is your 93OCT) . I do have the AMS IC and the IPD plenum. But my full exhaust (PSE) is still stock and stock air filter.

I need Akra 300 Cell cats and Headers and Stage 2 Tune. I don't like loosing. It's not right LOL. I kill them from a dig. But these runs were from an 80km/hr roll. Otherwise they burst into wheel spin. The M4 has 750n/m torque.

My shop believes that Pro Tuning should be available in 6-8 Weeks time. COBB were saying that they expect to release Stage 2 around OCT-NOV, but that was fluid.

(P.S. Both the M4 and M3 have full catless and exhaust, and intake, and full custom tunes.) They are both moving to E85 shortly. I won't have a chance until stage 3.
Your stock cats are exhaust is probably restricting by about 20-30rwhp. He's tuned to the gills, youre basically running a stock car on stg.1 canned tune.

Your IC's aren't providing any real benefit yet and the IPD plenum is also only offering marginally more tq under the curve. Put some AWE, Speedtech or Fabspeed cats on there. They all have the larger core sections.. Soul's are nice and at a great point, but your setup is going to be as aggressive as you can get and you might as well go for the extra diameter cat.

The Akra's are 300cell also while the others are 200.. If you went Kline you could do 100cell race cats also. I tried going catless, but I DD my car.. I didn't like the odor in traffic with the windows down.

BTW.. you could probably still beat him in a 1/4 mile drag.. he's just got more power than you.. for now!

Quick Reply: Please Sir, may I have some more? - COBB Tune