Sponsored by:

Please Sir, may I have some more? - COBB Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:11 PM
BulldogR6
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
200 cells have been known to throw a CE light. Even though you could clear it with the tune, I was worried if it went it to dealer and I uninstalled tune and restored to stock that the 200 cell would trigger the sensor and get them looking further into the car, which I didnt want to deal with. I dont think the difference in performance from 300 cell to 200 cell would be that meaningful regardless..
I've got the Soul 200 cel. No CE light so far. Been on for about 300-400 miles. No tune...yet!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:13 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

It can happen at any time, usually after hard driving. If it happens you will need to clear it but, no damage to the car will be incurred, just protective indicator..
Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Had the 200 cell cats for 13000 miles and 22 track days so far without any CE lights....
Old 08-25-2018, 10:23 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I did a bit of digging also. Yes they all use HJS's However that is like saying we all have Porsche's.

Some have Boxsters, Caymans, and some have 911 GT3-RS. Akra is the only one of the bunch that use the top of the line HJS's. The others use the lower spec range.

Akra is also 300 cell, But what would be interesting to know is, does the top of the line 300 cell operate better than the lower spec 200 cell? That is the $1,200 question.

I've had Akra before, and have tested their products and they always deliver what they promise. So I will get the Akra. I also don't want to be too loud, as some of the tracks will boot you.
As far as I know, and please correct me if I am mistaken, they are all HJS HD cores. Theres only a few HJS core variations. I think the proximity to the turbo requires a the assertional brazing strip applied to the HD cores to keep them secure.

https://www.hjs-motorsport.de/produc...ogy-check.html

As its been said before, a 200cell HJS HD will outflow a 300cell HJS HD of the same size. The difference in exhausts loudness will be minimal.

I like Fabspeed/Speedtech/AWE's design that retains the primary and secondary outlets like the factory exhaust. I think its preferable, as it increases the max outlet volume immediately downstream of the cats with the valves open. Akra has a T connection off the primary outlet, regardless of valve position at any given time, that will be the max output right by the cats.

Don't get me wrong, I am just offering my opinion. Akra make an excellent product and there's absolutely no arguing Akra's quality, but I don't think theres any advantage in cost to performance ratio with this specific offering. I elected to go with the AWE because they use the 130mm HJS HD core and retain the OEM style round cap design with a secondary and primary outlet. I couldn't be more pleased. They are also the natural steel finish, so they look almost stock and don't have the chrome outer coat chip off with heat cycling as the Fabspeed does. You can pick them up for right around 2k with discounts which is also significantly more reasonable then some of the competition.

Anyone running Tubi or any other sport cat options?

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 08-25-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:26 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
As far as I know, and please correct me if I am mistaken, they are all HJS HD cores. Theres only a few HJS core variations. I think the proximity to the turbo requires a the assertional brazing strip applied to the HD cores to keep them secure.

https://www.hjs-motorsport.de/produc...ogy-check.html

As its been said before, a 200cell HJS HD will outflow a 300cell HJS HD of the same size. The difference in exhausts loudness will be minimal.

I like Fabspeed/Speedtech/AWE's design that retains the primary and secondary outlets like the factory exhaust. I think its preferable, as it increases the max outlet volume immediately downstream of the cats with the valves open. Akra has a T connection off the primary outlet, regardless of valve position at any given time, that will be the max output right by the cats.

Don't get me wrong, I am just offering my opinion. Akra make an excellent product and there's absolutely no arguing Akra's quality, but I don't think theres any advantage in cost to performance ratio with this specific offering. I elected to go with the AWE because they use the 130mm HJS HD core and retain the OEM style round cap design with a secondary and primary outlet. I couldn't be more pleased. They are also the natural steel finish, so they look almost stock and don't have the chrome outer coat chip off with heat cycling as the Fabspeed does. You can pick them up for right around 2k with discounts which is also significantly more reasonable then some of the competition.

Anyone running Tubi or any other sport cat options?
hmm i checked their (AWE) site and it only offers a 1 year warranty on the core vs 3 years from soul. Anyone ever had any problems with these yet?? (i assume they haven't even been out for that long...)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:18 AM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
hmm i checked their (AWE) site and it only offers a 1 year warranty on the core vs 3 years from soul. Anyone ever had any problems with these yet?? (i assume they haven't even been out for that long...)
Never noticed that, but good information. They were one of the first to the market with their cats, none of the offerings have been out that long. AWE has been in business for years and their quality and reputation speaks for itself.
  • 130mm core diameter
  • OEM style rounded collector and dual outlet's
  • Guaranteed perfect fitment
  • AWE Tuning No Check Engine Light Guarantee
Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Unless the cat manufacturer chimes in or you're going to perform your own 5-gas analysis of the hydrocarbons you can only speculate when comparing cell counts to emissions. The same manufacturer is likely to use a similar coating process and materials so it's a safe assumption that a 300 cell is going to provide cleaner emissions than a 200-cell cat at the same trim level. It gets more complicated comparing across manufacturers. Manufacturing technologies, cell density, cat size, length, cell coating materials or layers all play a roll in gas conversion (emissions). You can spec a 100-cell cat to be as clean as a 200-cell cat, but you will certainly pay for it. Of course the 100 cell count will give you a higher flow potential vs a similarly sized 200-cell cat, but to those needing the extra flow potential, the cost is insignificant.

For those not in the know in regards to the law and emissions standards, the OEM cats must remain in place for 10 years AND pass federal, state, or local laws. Another little tidbit many don't know is that you have a 10 year warranty from the factory (regardless or manufacturer: Chevrolet, Honda, Porsche, etc...) in regards to the OEM emissions systems. Cat falls apart, gets clogged, or fails emissions testing at year 9, your dealer is responsible for replacement. After that point 'an equivalent to OEM cat can be used as long as it meets the same standards as OEM'. The point here is that if you want to be within the letter of the law on a car that is not 10 years old, the OEM cat must be used.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:29 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Unless the cat manufacturer chimes in or you're going to perform your own 5-gas analysis of the hydrocarbons you can only speculate when comparing cell counts to emissions. The same manufacturer is likely to use a similar coating process and materials so it's a safe assumption that a 300 cell is going to provide cleaner emissions than a 200-cell cat at the same trim level. It gets more complicated comparing across manufacturers. Manufacturing technologies, cell density, cat size, length, cell coating materials or layers all play a roll in gas conversion (emissions). You can spec a 100-cell cat to be as clean as a 200-cell cat, but you will certainly pay for it. Of course the 100 cell count will give you a higher flow potential vs a similarly sized 200-cell cat, but to those needing the extra flow potential, the cost is insignificant.

For those not in the know in regards to the law and emissions standards, the OEM cats must remain in place for 10 years AND pass federal, state, or local laws. Another little tidbit many don't know is that you have a 10 year warranty from the factory (regardless or manufacturer: Chevrolet, Honda, Porsche, etc...) in regards to the OEM emissions systems. Cat falls apart, gets clogged, or fails emissions testing at year 9, your dealer is responsible for replacement. After that point 'an equivalent to OEM cat can be used as long as it meets the same standards as OEM'. The point here is that if you want to be within the letter of the law on a car that is not 10 years old, the OEM cat must be used.
I just spent 2000 replacing the cats ( they are built in the headers )of my wife's 2011 qx56. Are you saying Infiniti should of covered that bill?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I just spent 2000 replacing the cats ( they are built in the headers )of my wife's 2011 qx56. Are you saying Infiniti should of covered that bill?
warranty is 8 years or 80k miles from in service date. If your car was within these parameters then yes, dealer owes you a check as it’s covered by mfgr warranty. Bring them the epa regs.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131

warranty is 8 years or 80k miles from in service date. If your car was within these parameters then yes, dealer owes you a check as it’s covered by mfgr warranty. Bring them the epa regs.

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html
Within 8 years but over 80k miles

Quick Reply: Please Sir, may I have some more? - COBB Tune