Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Carrera is the best buy on the 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:08 PM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Big difference... wanted a GT3 now looking into a base car?

Sure a base car is all you'll ever 'need,' but a higher end model is what you'll 'want' while driving it. Would it be better? Probably not, but imagination is curious thing. By saying you're planning to mod, makes it sounds like you wont be happy with the car and will be wanting more.

No one goes on forums posting they got an S and wished they got a base instead. Its normally base owners trying to justify why they don't need an S (which is kinda how your argument is).

Normally base used cars are cheaper because they most are sparingly optioned. S models can be loaded and all those options depreciated after 1-2 years. S model is a better value used IMO. GTS prices stay high used.

Since you liked and wanted GT3, I think you should look into a T. Same idea, but 'lite.'
I purchased a 458 italia in place of the GT3. This is for a daily
Old 08-20-2018, 07:21 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
I purchased a 458 italia in place of the GT3. This is for a daily
Makes sense now. I sold my Ferrari F430 to buy my GT3. Ferrari buyers are so concerned about miles that I just couldn't deal with it anymore. "OMG, 20 THOUSAND MILES - cringe! I considered getting a 991 as a DD but found that the Macan Turbo was much better overall - we have a small child and Home Depot runs are a common destination.

Prior to all of this I drove the manual base 991.2 on a whim and loved it so much that I would've bought it on the spot had it been in a color that I wanted. I think it's that good. You are already wanting to upgrade the power so the S still makes sense to me though. It's not just power, the brakes on the S are different as well. The $10K up front difference should be insignificant to you if you're getting a DD 911.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I am biased but I agree that the base 991.2 is (1) the best "value" and (2) the best street 991.

For me, any 911 has always been special, especially in the vehicle dynamics and driver feel--that unique rear-bias thing, along with incredible traction, braking balance, and fun with a lighter front end. The 991.2 base provides all that with more power than any non-turbo 911 before 2012 (including GT3s before 2005). The current S, GTS, and T models add some tweaks to the dynamics and more power, but those are incremental improvements (and cost).
Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
If I could afford a GT3 and were now looking at used Carreras, I'd want at least an S. The S is fast out of the box - magazines have timed it at 3.0 seconds 0-60, right there with the GT3's, and 11.4 seconds at 125 mph in the 1/4 mile. The S comes with 20" rims, wider rear tires, bigger brakes & calipers all around, bigger turbos with 50 more HP, and the standard equipment on the S includes that all-imprtant PTV, if you like to go fast when turning. And most S are equipped with SC, SPASM (20mm lower). I prefer the Sport package which also adds RAS and PSE. You wont get as much out a tune without PSE or replacing the standard exhaust. PDCC is also nice to have. The Porsche team mentioned that the 991.2 lapped a full 30 seconds faster on the Nordschleife with just the addition of RAS and PDCC. Later, after your warranty runs out, you will have a lot more car to tune, if you choose to go that route. But that is just MHO...
Test drove a base and an S back to back. Couldn't tell the difference. Went with the base and saved 15k.

While half a second difference in 0-60 might seem like a big deal, it is equivalent to the time it takes to blink.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Heres my take from driving like 10 different 991.2 models. Some back to back. Off the line the pdk 4S i drove definitely felt quicker than my manual T. Once moving, however, I couldnt tell a difference in power either. In fact the T just feels lighter, more nimble, and just as fast rolling. The gts feels faster off the line as well as in motion, but off the line it feels hesitant (only back to back with a base) until the turbos send you to warp speed. They all drive totally different imo. Theyre all fast. None of them can come close to your 458. What a beast, rode in one last month. Last NA mid engine ferrari screaming to 9k rpm. If i was single i would buy one for sure. Such a bad **** car.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

A base owner will say base, a S owner will say S, a GTS owner will say GTS They all have their reasons for buying the model they leave in their garage at night.

Or to put it another way buy what best suits you.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm on my second 991.2 Carrera Base, the current one is a cabriolet. Very nice car......

Is the base car the best buy ? I don't know but for me it was. In my country, import duties are high and the difference between the base and S was around US$ 25.000. For me it just didn't make any financial sense specially taking into consideration that the base is a very capable car. Would I have liked to buy an S or GTS ? Sure..... and I would be lying if I was saying no, but in my case I'm very happy with the base which is a daily driver and doesn't see the track. For city driving, the base has more than enough HP and had good acceleration.

Ohh.... and I can always use a tune later on if I want any more power.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
A base owner will say base, a S owner will say S, a GTS owner will say GTS They all have their reasons for buying the model they leave in their garage at night.
Or to put it another way buy what best suits you.
You are correct. For my first 30 years of Porsches, all were inexpensive 4 cylinder models. For the first 8 years we were married, we had one car we shared a 914. For these past 18 years i have driven nothing less than an S. My new S is loaded to the gills, and i added the X51 Power Kit. We saved and i learned to invest well over the decades, and we can now afford it, but i still have that frugal streak and shopped for great deals all the way.
This is my 10th Porsche, and I'm here to tell y'all that owning a nice Porsche is still cheaper than what most guys my age pay to belong to a golf club and play regularly.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:01 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
You are correct. For my first 30 years of Porsches, all were inexpensive 4 cylinder models. For the first 8 years we were married, we had one car we shared a 914. For these past 18 years i have driven nothing less than an S. My new S is loaded to the gills, and i added the X51 Power Kit. We saved and i learned to invest well over the decades, and we can now afford it, but i still have that frugal streak and shopped for great deals all the way.
This is my 10th Porsche, and I'm here to tell y'all that owning a nice Porsche is still cheaper than what most guys my age pay to belong to a golf club and play regularly.
Lets add boats, planes, and ah...a little thing on the side.

Quick Reply: Base Carrera is the best buy on the 991.2?