Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Carrera is the best buy on the 991.2?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Base Carrera is the best buy on the 991.2?

I've been without a 911 for almost 2 years now and I'm having some withdrawals... I was involved in a dealer debacle regarding a GT3 allocation for me last year and it left a bad taste in my mouth with Porsche, but like an abusive relationship, I wan't back in.

It's crazy to me how expensive these cars are now, even the base models... While this is the case, a used base 991.2 can be had for low 80's, and with the modding capabilities of the new engine, It's much harder to justify spending the extra money on an S / GTS variation. I know I'd sacrifice some handling and a few other things, but I could add a tune, drop, wheels, etc and still be way under the price on an S...Yes, I'd sacrifice some handling and void the warranty, but I tend to mod all of my cars anyway, including my previous 911's.

Is this a prevailing thought on the 991.2? Seems logical to me.

I know this has probably been discussed a lot here... Sorry.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:24 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

I think the Base Carrera is the one to get with the 991.2. As long as you don't need RWS, SPASM or PTV (which are not available on the base models) then you don't need the S unless you need the badge and suffer from S envy. You can add bigger brakes later if you want.

I have a C4 so I am biased. The car is fast. Faster than the .1S.

People are going to have a lot of opinions on this topic though.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:33 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems odd to me that someone who was set on buying a new GT3 is so hung up on price - especially since the one that you're now interested in is half of what a GT3 cost.

So, with your focus still on money, it doesn't make sense to by a cheaper model thinking that you can mod it to compete with what is already available for maybe $10K more initial investment. The money you spend on mods will be nearly worthless when you want to sell it, might void the warranty, and in nearly all cases, will not be as balanced and thought out as what Porsche offers.

Buy quality and cry once.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:17 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

If I were buying a pre-owned 2017 coupe I would grab an S as the cost differences shrink at that point. For me, I want limited slip diff (PTV) so the base car is not an option. The gearing in the base is also pretty poor and while the base brakes are good, the S brakes are better.

If your are looking at new cars I would pick up a Carrera T if I were you. There have been a few pop up on the pre-owned market too. These cars are far more engaging than a base and have all of the mod potential you discussed.

I drove base cars, T's, S's. For me, the T had the best feel of the bunch. There are a lot of small differences that add up to a big change.

The GTS is a different animal. Extremely capable. Almost too capable. Awesome but again I felt the T was more fun for street enjoyment.

The best argument for the base car is the Cabriolet. For cruising around at the shore, the gearing, brakes, suspension, etc are all fine.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:34 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree with subshooter on this. With what the aftermarket has available now for the Carrera it's fairly easy to up the performance level. From what I see already, the Carrera can be made to compete (power wise) with the 911 turbo for a heck of a lot less out of pocket.

The bottom line is that it will really depend on your specific checkboxes. KM1959 makes a good point in regards to financials and depreciation of aftermarket goodies.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:30 PM
JP Manor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
It seems odd to me that someone who was set on buying a new GT3 is so hung up on price - especially since the one that you're now interested in is half of what a GT3 cost.

So, with your focus still on money, it doesn't make sense to by a cheaper model thinking that you can mod it to compete with what is already available for maybe $10K more initial investment. The money you spend on mods will be nearly worthless when you want to sell it, might void the warranty, and in nearly all cases, will not be as balanced and thought out as what Porsche offers.

Buy quality and cry once.
I spent all my Porsche money on a 458!

I get what you are saying and I'm a big believer in the "pay once cry once" mentality, It just seems that with how expensive these cars are now, combined with the turbo charging , the justification is harder to make for spending more on the higher trims.

My other thought is that Porsche will probably be using these motors into the next generation as well, so I'm sure they will be bumbing the HP on all the variations over the next 10 years. I don't think the quality is an issue.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
I spent all my Porsche money on a 458!

I get what you are saying and I'm a big believer in the "pay once cry once" mentality, It just seems that with how expensive these cars are now, combined with the turbo charging , the justification is harder to make for spending more on the higher trims.

My other thought is that Porsche will probably be using these motors into the next generation as well, so I'm sure they will be bumbing the HP on all the variations over the next 10 years. I don't think the quality is an issue.
From a base owner- from my POV, it is plenty of car for the street. Very engaging and fun. Read Pete Stouts "370 is Enough" thread for lots of view points on the base. You are not going to get stump pulling power like an AMG V8, but most of us don't buy a 911 for that type of performance. It is a value question. For me, keeping our Cayenne and having a (third) decent daily driver that goes in snow, can be used for work, NYC parking and airport duty was as important as RAS, PSE and Sport Chrono, believe it not. Only you can decide if the base is enough 911 for you.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:38 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Spent some time driving a Base 991.2 with PDK around town yesterday. An absolute riot. No need for anything more... unless you just want more.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,189 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Spent some time driving a Base 991.2 with PDK around town yesterday. An absolute riot. No need for anything more... unless you just want more.
+1

For everyday driving you simply can't beat it...
Old 08-20-2018, 04:00 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want a car light on options, yes it makes sense to buy a base or a T. Personally I like to tick option boxes and have a really nice interior with all leather, all the options etc., so the higher trims make more sense to me than optioning up a base model. Also I want the wide body with 2WD, so GTS is pretty much my only option as well as the GT3.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

As much a fan of the Carrera as I am, I am not sure it's the "best buy" if you already think you'll do the ECU and lower it. If a used Carrera S or GTS with Sport PASM is likely to have enough power that you won't reflash, and low enough not to lower it, I'd go that way.

That said, the base car is VERY rapid in the real world...in my experience faster than its numbers relative to other models imply. More important, I like the way its light-pressure turbos scroll a bit better...but that's a very personal thing, weighing out turbo response/nature vs more torque. If you don't care about warranty, Cobb + standard turbochargers might be pretty interesting—and I can then see the allure of the standard car + TechArt springs + Cobb reflash. Not sure I need the LSD...my car has so much rear-wheel traction, at least at stock power levels. Also has a freer-wheeling nature to it that I like. Would I prefer an LSD? Yes. Do I miss it? Not really...and I am glad to be without PTV in this simpler model. YMMV...
Old 08-20-2018, 04:34 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by JP Manor
I've been without a 911 for almost 2 years now and I'm having some withdrawals... I was involved in a dealer debacle regarding a GT3 allocation for me last year and it left a bad taste in my mouth with Porsche, but like an abusive relationship, I wan't back in.
It's crazy to me how expensive these cars are now, even the base models... While this is the case, a used base 991.2 can be had for low 80's, and with the modding capabilities of the new engine, It's much harder to justify spending the extra money on an S / GTS variation. I know I'd sacrifice some handling and a few other things, but I could add a tune, drop, wheels, etc and still be way under the price on an S...Yes, I'd sacrifice some handling and void the warranty, but I tend to mod all of my cars anyway, including my previous 911's.
Is this a prevailing thought on the 991.2? Seems logical to me.
I know this has probably been discussed a lot here... Sorry.
If I could afford a GT3 and were now looking at used Carreras, I'd want at least an S. The S is fast out of the box - magazines have timed it at 3.0 seconds 0-60, right there with the GT3's, and 11.4 seconds at 125 mph in the 1/4 mile. The S comes with 20" rims, wider rear tires, bigger brakes & calipers all around, bigger turbos with 50 more HP, and the standard equipment on the S includes that all-imprtant PTV, if you like to go fast when turning. And most S are equipped with SC, SPASM (20mm lower). I prefer the Sport package which also adds RAS and PSE. You wont get as much out a tune without PSE or replacing the standard exhaust. PDCC is also nice to have. The Porsche team mentioned that the 991.2 lapped a full 30 seconds faster on the Nordschleife with just the addition of RAS and PDCC. Later, after your warranty runs out, you will have a lot more car to tune, if you choose to go that route. But that is just MHO...
Old 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Best Model is a 991.2 911T of the 991.2 models...

I'm just enjoying my 991.1 S and its sweet sounding engine
Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Well, here's my perspective. I'm currently driving a 2018 Carrera Cab. It's my favorite 991 yet and this is my FOURTH 991. My last two were S models. The previous car was an S coupe so I'm pretty well versed in the 991 line at least on the lower end of the scale. The reason I say this is my favorite one is a few reasons I guess. One, it's red, two, it's a cab, and it's a manual. Those were the biggest reasons to buy this car. I would have opted for an S all being equal but this base car was what had those three attributes when I was looking. The base car is ALL I NEED for speed. It's plenty fast. Especially being that it's a cab. Cabs always SEEM faster to me than coupes. So there's that. But it's more than that. It really is a quick street car. PLENTY of torque to scoot around traffic. Power is "right now". I really don't miss the PTV. Bigger brakes would be nice, but these work fine for me. The car feels sort of simpler, a little less fussy than my last couple of cars. It's got manual Sport seats and I just love them. I don't think the base car gets enough respect. It's a FANTASTIC car.

thanks!
alec
Old 08-20-2018, 06:04 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Big difference... wanted a GT3 now looking into a base car?

Sure a base car is all you'll ever 'need,' but a higher end model is what you'll 'want' while driving it. Would it be better? Probably not, but imagination is curious thing. By saying you're planning to mod, makes it sounds like you wont be happy with the car and will be wanting more.

No one goes on forums posting they got an S and wished they got a base instead. Its normally base owners trying to justify why they don't need an S (which is kinda how your argument is).

Normally base used cars are cheaper because they most are sparingly optioned. S models can be loaded and all those options depreciated after 1-2 years. S model is a better value used IMO. GTS prices stay high used.

Since you liked and wanted GT3, I think you should look into a T. Same idea, but 'lite.'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base Carrera is the best buy on the 991.2?