Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing shifter upgrade review

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018 | 09:14 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whacky
What was it about the standard spring? Just too much tension to bring the shifter back to center? Did you feel it made daily driving too cumbersome?
Yes, just too much tension that took more effort than felt natural to me. Anytime crossing the gate took a bit of extra effort and memory to push/pull against the tension to get the next gear home.

Old 09-26-2018 | 10:15 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Yes - the numeric has too much tension... As an example - I find it can be tricky when shifting 6th to 5th as it will want to center back and can easily find third. Never had that problem with OEM...

PS: The best shifter I have ever driven in a car was the ND Miata... You thought it and it found the gear. Snick, snick into the gears.

Why do you think that is?
Do you feel that is because the overall stiffness and recentering of the spring?
As if the stock shifter just eases into the next position because there is less centering tension?
Old 09-27-2018 | 03:42 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Numeric Racing

For those that don't want the stiffer tension you can order it with the softer spring. I am a bigger guy 225lbs and I prefer the stiffer spring. Someone who is not as strong would probably want the softer spring which is equivalent to the stock spring that comes in the GT4 shifter. Its a matter of preference. The shift selectors on the transmission are also spring loaded and on every non GT4 shifter it doesn't even come with the additional spring. So some might want to use the Numeric shifter without the additional spring. Its simple to disconnect. Just have to remove one screw and its disabled. Just let me know what you prefer and I can send it how you would like it. The cables are also an excellent upgrade and you can view some videos on Youtube. Search Factory Dan or Numeric Racing and you will see the vids. I hope this answers any and all questions. If not hit me up at dan@numericracing.com.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 09-27-2018 | 03:58 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
For those that don't want the stiffer tension you can order it with the softer spring. I am a bigger guy 225lbs and I prefer the stiffer spring. Someone who is not as strong would probably want the softer spring which is equivalent to the stock spring that comes in the GT4 shifter. Its a matter of preference. The shift selectors on the transmission are also spring loaded and on every non GT4 shifter it doesn't even come with the additional spring. So some might want to use the Numeric shifter without the additional spring. Its simple to disconnect. Just have to remove one screw and its disabled. Just let me know what you prefer and I can send it how you would like it. The cables are also an excellent upgrade and you can view some videos on Youtube. Search Factory Dan or Numeric Racing and you will see the vids. I hope this answers any and all questions. If not hit me up at dan@numericracing.com.
Dan is essentially telling everyone to lift more weights LOL
The following users liked this post:
SpeedCircuit (08-02-2022)
Old 09-27-2018 | 04:57 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Numeric Racing

Originally Posted by Joec500
Dan is essentially telling everyone to lift more weights LOL
LOL. Yeah I have a tendency to drive with the Death grip. I rode motocross for years and that was my biggest problem. I would get extreme arm pump as a result and then it became difficult to hold onto the bike.
Old 09-27-2018 | 06:10 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Dan - I will be ordering one soon.

Any plans on video instructions for installing the cables or revision on the current instructions, I found it hard to follow and not my first rodeo either
Old 09-27-2018 | 06:20 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug

Any plans on video instructions for installing the cables or revision on the current instructions, I found it hard to follow and not my first rodeo either
Make sure you also buy the shifter cables
Old 09-27-2018 | 06:25 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes as I do some more installs I usually pick up on some things and make updates. You can always contact me and I can give a pretty good description of the installs. I'm better at describing them than writing directions. Anyone who is anywhere near my location Odessa FL. I'd gladly do the install and certainly save you some money on the install.
Old 09-27-2018 | 11:20 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

The shift selectors on the transmission are also spring loaded and on every non GT4 shifter it doesn't even come with the additional spring. So some might want to use the Numeric shifter without the additional spring. Its simple to disconnect. Just have to remove one screw and its disabled.
Dan, I’m leaning towards the softer spring but not sure I fully understand this portion of your statement. Is there an incremental spring option beyond the softer one I’m planning to order?
Old 09-28-2018 | 03:47 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by medtech_expat

Dan, I’m leaning towards the softer spring but not sure I fully understand this portion of your statement. Is there an incremental spring option beyond the softer one I’m planning to order?
The stock shifter that comes in every car but the GT4 doesn't have the additional spring to center the shift lever in the shift housing. The softer spring I offer is exacly the same as the GT4 spring. Same diameter 1.5mm and coils so the tension is the same. The stiffer spring I offer is 2mm in diameter and has one less coil and is slightly stiffer. Cars that come with the most common shifter just rely on the reverse selector on transmission to center the shift lever. The selector is spring loaded and centers the shift lever. Having the additional spring in the shifter itself adds a little more tension. If you don't want to use the additional spring in the Numeric shifter you can just remove a screw and its disabled. I personally prefer the stiffer spring but I don't shift as graceful as someone who would maybe prefer the softer spring.
Old 09-28-2018 | 03:52 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Had a great call with Daniel today - this is a must do on my list. I have had short shifters before.
Hopefully I will be able to help others take the plunge and make it more convenient with additional pictures and support. I plan on taking lot of pictures and hopefully videos to post on Youtube.

Thanks again Daniel - its just painful at this time waiting for the car to arrive.
Old 10-01-2018 | 10:25 PM
whacky
Advanced

The stock shifter that comes in every car but the GT4 doesn't have the additional spring to center the shift lever in the shift housing. The softer spring I offer is exacly the same as the GT4 spring. Same diameter 1.5mm and coils so the tension is the same. The stiffer spring I offer is 2mm in diameter and has one less coil and is slightly stiffer. Cars that come with the most common shifter just rely on the reverse selector on transmission to center the shift lever. The selector is spring loaded and centers the shift lever. Having the additional spring in the shifter itself adds a little more tension. If you don't want to use the additional spring in the Numeric shifter you can just remove a screw and its disabled. I personally prefer the stiffer spring but I don't shift as graceful as someone who would maybe prefer the softer spring.

So trying to sum this up, there are two options to order the Numeric shifter.
1. A softer spring which is equilivant to the GT4 shifter spring.
2 A stiffer spring. Let’s call it the original Numeric spring.

And what I’m gathering is that both of these two options can have that spring disabled by removing a screw which essentially reduces the centering feel back to a non-GT4 shifter.

Is that an an accurate summary?
Old 10-02-2018 | 02:34 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Numeric Racing

So trying to sum this up, there are two options to order the Numeric shifter.
1. A softer spring which is equilivant to the GT4 shifter spring.
2 A stiffer spring. Let’s call it the original Numeric spring.

And what I’m gathering is that both of these two options can have that spring disabled by removing a screw which essentially reduces the centering feel back to a non-GT4 shifter.

Is that an an accurate summary?
That pretty much sums it up.
Old 10-26-2018 | 02:12 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Got mine today from Numeric Racing...amazing build qualit. I was surprised how light it was. Can’t wait to get this in.
Old 10-26-2018 | 02:53 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Got mine today from Numeric Racing...amazing build qualit. I was surprised how light it was. Can’t wait to get this in.
Which did you go with - normal spring, softer spring or spring disabled? My GTS is 2 weeks out so very interested in your install and early impressions, particularly on the self-centering issue. Please take vids!

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing shifter upgrade review