991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing shifter upgrade review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018 | 05:07 AM
whacky
Advanced

Anyone with this mod wished they had one with the softer of the two springs offered for any reason? ie...Reverse / 7th gear / daily traffic commutes?
Old 09-25-2018 | 09:30 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

I asked in another thread about swapping out the standard spring with the softer one and Numeric wanted it back to do it. Wasn't going to do that so was just going to swap back in the stock shifter and sell it as it was just getting to tiresome to use regularly. Once I had it back out I noticed the spring operates against a bolt, so I removed the bolt. It's now perfect for me, still has the precise feel but with just a bit more effort than stock, glad I found a way to keep it.
Old 09-25-2018 | 09:43 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

I absolutely love my numeric shifter and cables on my 991.2 gts I highly recommend.
Old 09-25-2018 | 10:18 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

I have the Numeric shifter in my car - its definitely short and "rifle bolt" action.

Maybe it is just me - but I find the the OEM shifters to be more "intuitive". With the numeric - you are thinking about the shift / position.

I would actually like to try the Porsche short shift kit. Anyone in Nashville want to try the Numeric? Swap cars for a quick test drive?
Old 09-25-2018 | 08:11 PM
whacky
Advanced

Originally Posted by Holdens
I have the Numeric shifter in my car - its definitely short and "rifle bolt" action.

Maybe it is just me - but I find the the OEM shifters to be more "intuitive". With the numeric - you are thinking about the shift / position.

I would actually like to try the Porsche short shift kit. Anyone in Nashville want to try the Numeric? Swap cars for a quick test drive?
Why do you think that is?
Do you feel that is because the overall stiffness and recentering of the spring?
As if the stock shifter just eases into the next position because there is less centering tension?
Old 09-25-2018 | 08:17 PM
whacky
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikerlee
I asked in another thread about swapping out the standard spring with the softer one and Numeric wanted it back to do it. Wasn't going to do that so was just going to swap back in the stock shifter and sell it as it was just getting to tiresome to use regularly. Once I had it back out I noticed the spring operates against a bolt, so I removed the bolt. It's now perfect for me, still has the precise feel but with just a bit more effort than stock, glad I found a way to keep it.
What was it about the standard spring? Just too much tension to bring the shifter back to center? Did you feel it made daily driving too cumbersome?

Old 09-25-2018 | 09:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I feel like the self centering spring on the GT4 shifter is too heavy (the stock shifter has no self centering spring). That's why I inquired about the lighter spring. I'm glad Numeric offers it.
Old 09-25-2018 | 09:57 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holdens

I went to my local, popular, Porsche race shop and asked about the Numeric shifter. They install them in most of the PCA Club racer cars and Cup cars.
They discouraged it for street cars. Descibed the Numeric shifter as one that makes you think and place the shifter in the correct position to discourage money shifts. For the street, they recommend the stock shifter that pre-locates the shifter to the correct slot.
Old 09-25-2018 | 10:02 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Looks like a great mod, but surprised how appalling the instructions are, the text and images don’t even match.

but doable diy. Need to look more into the cable swap
Old 09-25-2018 | 10:03 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

My car is 95% street car and I think you cant go wrong with it, even for a street car.
Old 09-25-2018 | 10:06 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes

I went to my local, popular, Porsche race shop and asked about the Numeric shifter. They install them in most of the PCA Club racer cars and Cup cars.
They discouraged it for street cars. Descibed the Numeric shifter as one that makes you think and place the shifter in the correct position to discourage money shifts. For the street, they recommend the stock shifter that pre-locates the shifter to the correct slot.
you lost me there at the end “stock shifter that pre-locates the shifter to the correct slot”
Old 09-26-2018 | 12:04 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I took it to mean that when, for example, you shift from 3 to 4, the stock shifter moves to the right when you push forward to 4. While I might have not translated what they said very well, the fact remains, they discouraged me from installing it.
Old 09-26-2018 | 12:14 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
Hi guys-
I've only installed this shifter a few days ago but I wanted to share my thoughts as I get to know it. First I'll mention I've installed the GT4 shifter in my 991.2 cab previously. That's been nice. Great upgrade to the standard unit. All it really does, however, is shorten the stick itself. So it's very much a "short shift kit" I guess. Totally worth it though. I was curious about this Numeric Racing product. It's a completely new structure made of metal with bearings and stiff springs to keep the shifter slop free. I ordered it and it arrived in just a few days. I did not order the cable option. At least not yet. I can always add them I guess. Install was simple as I've done this on a couple cars now so it only takes about 20 minutes.

So, how do I like this thing? LOVE IT. One of the things I like about every Porsche I've owned is how mechanical everything feels. Like super precise and mechanical. The stock shifter was fine, but this is just a whole new thing. ZERO play in neutral. The throws are short, quick and snick into gears easily but with a super satisfying click. I think this is amazing. It's a little pricey but for a manual guy I really recommend it. If you bought a manual like me you really had to go out of your way to find that car as there's so few now. So adding this makes perfect sense to me. It's easily the nicest shifter I've ever used.

Below is a YouTube clip I just posted trying to show how little slop there is in this thing. Note that it's in my garage so it's way louder and clunky sounding than what it's like when you're really driving the car.

alec

https://youtu.be/qxH3l4Mc7hI

sounds like the Cayman GT4 shifter
Old 09-26-2018 | 12:26 AM
whacky
Advanced

Thats curious information indeed. Makes it seem like the Numeric isn't as intuitive and you have to be way more concerned about what gear you are actually going to shift into based on the position of the stick?
Is the feedback from this shifter really like that?

If so, that would lead me to believe there are more mis-shifts into unanticipated gears with the Numeric shifter than the stock.
Like going from 3rd to 4th....is there a legitimate concern I might actually slam it into 2nd instead if I'm not super focused on the shifter?

I'm just curious how many people have installed the Numeric who feel that way during daily driving purposes.
Or if anyone has installed the Numeric for their daily driver who wished they haven't?
Do those people exist?
Old 09-26-2018 | 05:30 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whacky
Thats curious information indeed. Makes it seem like the Numeric isn't as intuitive and you have to be way more concerned about what gear you are actually going to shift into based on the position of the stick?
Is the feedback from this shifter really like that?

If so, that would lead me to believe there are more mis-shifts into unanticipated gears with the Numeric shifter than the stock.
Like going from 3rd to 4th....is there a legitimate concern I might actually slam it into 2nd instead if I'm not super focused on the shifter?

I'm just curious how many people have installed the Numeric who feel that way during daily driving purposes.
Or if anyone has installed the Numeric for their daily driver who wished they haven't?
Do those people exist?
Before I installed the numeric the stock shifter felt very flimsy and was way easier for a miss-shift. Now with numeric shifts are much more precise. I havent had 1 miss shift with it as my dd. Night and day difference over oem shifter, transformed the car. Best mod i have done to car and i feel it's a must have....
The following users liked this post:
roketman (08-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing shifter upgrade review