Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing mahogany wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Wrap it. Or more accurately, have a local shop that does a good job wrap it. It's not that difficult, but for a few hundred bucks a shop will give you a turn-key job. The 3M 1080 wraps are excellent and look great on interior pieces.

Yeah, you could source all the replacement parts in another finish, but its far more work and won't look any better.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I've got aluminum trim on my car and am planning on wrapping it. Have about 30sq/ft of 3M carbon fiber wrap so thinking of doing that.

I have wrapped my BMWs interior trim, as well as a few of my friends interior trims. Not really hard to do, just takes time. Usually takes me a weekend, working in chunks. I try and line up the pattern correctly to make sure things are uniform.

As far as durability and look goes, wrap might not hold up as well as solid trim...but its considerably cheaper and also allows for flexibility. My wrapped interior on my BMW lasted well over 2 years of daily driving. Some scuffs and scratches, but nothing major. When I removed it and rewrapped, it looked good as new.

Haven't really tried to pull apart my interior yet on the 991.2...got the trim tools....maybe this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted.
-Aatish
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, Aatish. Best of luck on your project and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I replaced all of my dash and center console trim with plastic trim tools and perhaps one torx tool within 10-15 minutes. Super easy.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What parts are wood? Door trim? Center console? What color is the interior? I’d be tempted to swap it out and save the wood for when you part ways with the car. But as far as a wrap, I would vote for gloss black to give it a 991.2 911T look (assuming it has a black interior). Porsche CF is unique and a wrap I think would look too wrap/aftermarket compared to gloss black. And, no need to line up patterns.

Then again I love wood trim so my tastes should not be trusted.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 AM
Aatish
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Gloss black would look nice. But, part of the reason I wrapped my BMWs trim was because I hated the gloss black trim showing finger prints (also scuffed nicely).
Personally, I like flat finishes, hence why I got the CF wrap in matte finish.

Color matched wraps would also be cool...
Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
What parts are wood? Door trim? Center console? What color is the interior? I’d be tempted to swap it out and save the wood for when you part ways with the car. But as far as a wrap, I would vote for gloss black to give it a 991.2 911T look (assuming it has a black interior). Porsche CF is unique and a wrap I think would look too wrap/aftermarket compared to gloss black. And, no need to line up patterns.

Then again I love wood trim so my tastes should not be trusted.

Door trim, center console and of course that strip above the glove compartment are wood. I think that's it. No wood on steering wheel. Standard sports wheel with aluminum. Interior is black and so is exterior. black on black.

I am considering gloss black wrap but I feel that will be too black. I prefer a little contrast which is why I am leaning towards an aluminum. Maybe brushed aluminum but I worry that may not look good with the existing OEM aluminum.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

The 3M 1080 CF will have texture to it...so, it will NOT look anything like OEM. The gloss or matte wraps are also easier as mentioned before b/c you won't have to line up the pattern.

My recommendation would be take a piece off, wrap it and drive around for a bit and see how you like it...the wrap is fairly inexpensive (as P-Car things go) and easy to remove if you don't like it.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 PM
caymanreview
Intermediate

I'm leaning towards the 3m Brushed Steel.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Check out MAcarbon
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I’d get rid of it vs wrapping... if you wrap you’ll always know that ugly wood trim is underneath there.
LOL
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Hey again! Congrats on homing in on your selection.

If you do decide to replace any of the trim with factory parts, consider getting one of the complete trim replace kits like this brushed aluminum one: (well, complete except for the door trim parts )
https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...91044803458yr/

Also, be sure to use one of the online discounters like Gaudin (above) or another of your choice. On Gaudin, that kit is 30% off OEM pricing. They've always shipped things promptly for me.

I guess you could use the OEM stuff for the dash and do the doors in some wrap different enough not to look like you were trying to match.

Last edited by StormRune; 08-17-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You can’t get rid of the door trim absent replacing the door panels. I suppose some people have hacked out the trim, but not advisable and there are no parts to replace it. It would, however, be easy to wrap the wood on the doors in a satin black or something and replace the dash trim and console trim both of which are available.

I’d have a look at a T because Porsche leather is not that black and there is quite a bit of contrast with gloss black painted trim.
Old 02-13-2023, 05:20 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you still have it, but I'd love buying the mahogany trim for my 991.2

Quick Reply: Replacing mahogany wood trim