Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Coming from a 996 GT3 with very stiff springs, the T feels like a Merc S class.

What tires did your car come with?

mine was delivered with Michelin 4S and the road noise is very tolerable. I also have the DSC so it makes the suspension a little softer which helps too.

So check tires and, when these wear out, try a different brand. Also play with tire pressure.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Also check the air in your tires, who knows it could help. Some concrete roads can be just really loud. I will say the first thing I noticed in my 2017 C2S on good roads is how quiet it was. Both my buddy and I commented on it. When you get on it though the piped sound and exhaust just sound great.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by vtrich
I remembered the thread linked below. One guy documents his installation of Dynamat in the doors and then adds some deadening in the wheel wells.
I didn't read through the whole thing 'cause, well, I just wasn't interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...d-noise-3.html

I did the same thing, and it made a difference.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1076...nsulation.html
Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Also check the air in your tires, who knows it could help. Some concrete roads can be just really loud. I will say the first thing I noticed in my 2017 C2S on good roads is how quiet it was. Both my buddy and I commented on it. When you get on it though the piped sound and exhaust just sound great.

Agree on the tire pressure. If you inflated the tires according to the sticker on the door, that is the MAX LOAD pressure. Try 30 PSI front and 36 rear (normal load) and you will see a noticeable difference in ride quality and noise.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway2Hell
Holy Crap! The interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T

I got to pick up my 2018 911T yesterday from the detailer. This was my first time driving it anywhere.
Cruising at low speeds under 55 MPH seemed pleasant. When I came off the offramp in Coral Springs and merged with traffice at about 65MPH the road noise became intense.
I was not expecting it to be that loud.

My immediate thoughts were I have to find where the noise deadning material was removed and add it back! I'll never enjoy long trips at highway speed. I also have the Michelin tires and heard they were better in reducing road noise.
Once I got down the road a bit it became a little quieter. I was a little relieved. Guess it matters a lot on the type of pavement the road in constructed of.
I just cranked up the music and tried to drown out the interior noise. I had 200 miles to go and a lot of time to think.
The car drove fantastic for just easily cruising. 29 MPG to boot!

So does anyone know where I can find information on what areas the sound deadning was removed? I was thinking that I could add some Dynamat material in those spots to reduce the cabin noise for those long highway drives as I'm not really worried about being light weight.
Thanks.
I regularly take road trips in my T with my bike rack on the roof at 70+mph and am completely comfortable (but I have to admit the Burmester helps). Trust me, for a sports car the T is NOT loud. It’s no louder than my old Scion FRS and WAY quieter than my S2000. I can only guess that you’re not coming to this car from another sports car. You can try adding some insulation or dynamat, but those will only make incremental improvements. The bottom line is that this is a sports car and it’s never going to be Lexus-quiet and any attempt to chase “quietness” will only end in wasted effort disappointment.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done any sound deadening in the interior? As in wheel-wells or back seat area? Any pics or recommendations how to apply? I haven't found any information as to what was removed on a 911T. Wanted to see if it will be worth my while. The road noise above 65 MPH is just annoying. Wish it was the roar of the engine. If they are piping it in on my car it must be blocked! Ha ha! Sounds like I'm running over pebbles and beer cans! ha ha.

Quick Reply: Interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T