Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 738 Posts

I don't care what anyone else says, I think the M's are quieter than the P's. Neither are unbearable, but to me the M's are quieter.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (01-16-2022)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

I am on Pcar number 13 so I just may be oblivious to the road noise being called out here. Certain road surfaces are definitely worse than others, I do find and don't want to debate it as I have gone from new Pzeros to new MP4S and the 4S are slightly quieter, not Led Zeppelin to Nora Jones but quieter. Mostly they are Sports cars, we want them lighter so they are not packed with a lot of sound proofing and we want them to hug and feel the road and this comes with a certain amount of noise. I've driven, English, Italian and Japanese versions of similar cars and guess what they had road noise.

I do long trips, short trips, slow trips and fast trips and expect that it will involve some level of noise. A good exhaust helps so you hear more of that and less of the road or it's time to switch to a sedan.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts

I have a 15 991TTS. Yes the road noise is an issue. I recently went form the Pirelli's to MP4S's and didn't really hear a difference. Then I lined the rear wheel wells with dynamat both on the wheel well liners and behind these same liners. This helped a LITTLE. Next I disconnected the symposer and capped both ends. I couldn't tell any difference with this mod. Lastly I removed my door panels and applied dynamat to the inside of the outer door panel and mass loaded vinyl between the inner and outer door panels. This made a HUGE difference! Yes it added some weight, but I don't track my car so I don't care about a little extra weight. When I did this last step the noise went from all over the inside of the car to just coming from the rear. Next I'm going to remove the interior panels over the rear wheel wells and add the mass loaded vinyl there. When I did the doors, I followed the steps that Nick at Musicar did in one of his posts. I have not done the floors yet, I'll make that decision after the rear W/W's are done. I hope this helps those of you not concerned with a little extra weight.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (01-16-2022)
Old 05-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Your solution sound reasonable and effective Jim. Would be wonderful if you could make more details available to determine if it's a DIY project that most could accomplish. On the topic of noise itself, I expect and tolerate a certain degree of road noise but after all is said and done it's the damn "pavement" that's the biggest culprit!
Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I have a 15 991TTS. Yes the road noise is an issue. I recently went form the Pirelli's to MP4S's and didn't really hear a difference. Then I lined the rear wheel wells with dynamat both on the wheel well liners and behind these same liners. This helped a LITTLE. Next I disconnected the symposer and capped both ends. I couldn't tell any difference with this mod. Lastly I removed my door panels and applied dynamat to the inside of the outer door panel and mass loaded vinyl between the inner and outer door panels. This made a HUGE difference! Yes it added some weight, but I don't track my car so I don't care about a little extra weight. When I did this last step the noise went from all over the inside of the car to just coming from the rear. Next I'm going to remove the interior panels over the rear wheel wells and add the mass loaded vinyl there. When I did the doors, I followed the steps that Nick at Musicar did in one of his posts. I have not done the floors yet, I'll make that decision after the rear W/W's are done. I hope this helps those of you not concerned with a little extra weight.
I am also about to take this on myself. Been thinking about this for a few months now and saw a few write-ups on replacing the carpet. I was going to follow that to apply the sound dampening material under the carpets. Definitely on my to-do list.

Also, I agree with shotgun -- Jim, can you make post on how you did the doors ?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I don't care what anyone else says, I think the M's are quieter than the P's. Neither are unbearable, but to me the M's are quieter.
Not sure I should insert myself in this quasi-religious debate, but I agree not from something read but from something experienced over and over... I've had the same experience on 4 different cars (GTI, 330ci, Audi S4, 991) that came to me on P=zeros (admitted different version of P-zeros construction throughout the years). Caveat: speaking of older tires only. "New" they are similar.
But each time *older* Pzeros would get really loud past say 50% of lifetime, noticeably enough that I'd replace it before the thread depth required it. The michelins that replaced it each time (a Pilot sport or super sport every time, whatever model was sold then) remained quieter overall till end of life. I didn't measure the noise because I'm not an anorak, but the replacement Michelins never got to the point where they irritated me before being worn out - whereas the Pirellis did - each time. Make of that what you will. It's not an internet tale if you've experienced it many times. I also prefer the Michelin's feel and consistency over the life of the tire. Old P-zeros i had were loud and ****e in feel and grip (new they're fine). Go ahead and excommunicate me.

Side note: the 991 is pretty damn good re: road noise vs earlier generations of water cooled 911s. Don't buy a 996 of the 991 annoys you ;-)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Not sure I should insert myself in this quasi-religious debate, but I agree not from something read but from something experienced over and over... I've had the same experience on 4 different cars (GTI, 330ci, Audi S4, 991) that came to me on P=zeros (admitted different version of P-zeros construction throughout the years). Caveat: speaking of older tires only. "New" they are similar.
But each time *older* Pzeros would get really loud past say 50% of lifetime, noticeably enough that I'd replace it before the thread depth required it. The michelins that replaced it each time (a Pilot sport or super sport every time, whatever model was sold then) remained quieter overall till end of life. I didn't measure the noise because I'm not an anorak, but the replacement Michelins never got to the point where they irritated me before being worn out - whereas the Pirellis did - each time. Make of that what you will. It's not an internet tale if you've experienced it many times. I also prefer the Michelin's feel and consistency over the life of the tire. Old P-zeros i had were loud and ****e in feel and grip (new they're fine). Go ahead and excommunicate me.

Side note: the 991 is pretty damn good re: road noise vs earlier generations of water cooled 911s. Don't buy a 996 of the 991 annoys you ;-)
I think it's a pretty polarizing debate but I agree with you on the P-Zeros. After going through 3 sets of Pirellis and now 2 sets of Michelins and a set of Bridgestones, my conclusion has been that the Pirelli's have been the loudest tire after experiencing some wear.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I followed a thread here on Rennlist on how to remove the door panel. The process was actually quite easy. I'm sure a search would come up with the steps. I also followed Nick's pictures on applying the dynomat and the mass loaded vinyl. I didn't take any step by step pictures of my process as I was using existing pictures already posted by others. I have just one cellphone pic of my door with the dynomat installed. I know not much help, but the job is well within the scope of the average DIY person. The only tools required are some nylon pry tools and basic tools.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 391 Posts

Based on my experience, swapping new or lightly-used P zeros N1 for Michelins PS4S will not help with road noise or much with ride quality (small improvement). If switching for other reasons, it is a different matter. I spent a bunch of money and in retrospect should have waited to wear out the Pirellis at least somewhat (say 50%) before buying new tires. Just a friendly suggestion. The dynamat suggestion seems like a really good idea.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

I am also about to take this on myself. Been thinking about this for a few months now and saw a few write-ups on replacing the carpet. I was going to follow that to apply the sound dampening material under the carpets. Definitely on my to-do list. 2000SE
Would you please post your opinion on how much the floor sound deadening helps. Right now on my car all the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

You're blazing a great trail here and I intend to follow. What is this mass loaded vinyl that you mention? And how much weight do you think you added to the car?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Would you please post your opinion on how much the floor sound deadening helps. Right now on my car all the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear.
Thanks
Haven't done it quite yet, but certainly will post once done!! And I too agree, you're blazing the trail!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Bought my mass loaded vinyl from Amazon. They have numerous choices, I got this one as I planned more installations. It states 1 pound per sq. ft. so I added about 10 lbs. When I do the rear wheel wells I also plan to do a rear seat delete, so I'll reduce the weight some what with the removal of rear seat belts and the seats themselves. Again, I'm not concerned with weight. I want a quiet cruiser. Hope this helps.

TMS Mass Loaded Vinyl 4' X 10' (40 Square Feet) 1 Lb MLV Acoustic Barrier

Old 05-11-2018, 11:15 AM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

For the rear wheel well sound deadening, is wheel removal mandatory?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

For the rear wheel well sound deadening, is wheel removal mandatory?
To add dynamat to the inside of the W/W then Yes. The liners are held in place by several torqs screws, impossible without removing the tire/wheel assembly. You will also want to wash or clean the wheel well after you get the liners out. If you've driven in the rain even once the W/W is dirty and dynamat will not stick.

Quick Reply: road noise