Interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T

Holy Crap! The interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T

I got to pick up my 2018 911T yesterday from the detailer. This was my first time driving it anywhere.
Cruising at low speeds under 55 MPH seemed pleasant. When I came off the offramp in Coral Springs and merged with traffice at about 65MPH the road noise became intense.
I was not expecting it to be that loud.

My immediate thoughts were I have to find where the noise deadning material was removed and add it back! I'll never enjoy long trips at highway speed. I also have the Michelin tires and heard they were better in reducing road noise.
Once I got down the road a bit it became a little quieter. I was a little relieved. Guess it matters a lot on the type of pavement the road in constructed of.
I just cranked up the music and tried to drown out the interior noise. I had 200 miles to go and a lot of time to think.
The car drove fantastic for just easily cruising. 29 MPG to boot!

So does anyone know where I can find information on what areas the sound deadning was removed? I was thinking that I could add some Dynamat material in those spots to reduce the cabin noise for those long highway drives as I'm not really worried about being light weight.
Thanks.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Trade you:
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Road surface makes a huge difference, I'd give it some time to see how bad it is in a variety of conditions and then decide. My GTS cab has been great for road trips on all kinds of surfaces, and I thought that had some sound deadening material removed too. Some roads are just bad, though.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Just wait till your tires have about 10-15K miles on them.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

After driving my new to me TTS from Dallas to Las Vegas, and then up the coast to Seattle, I have found that the road surface and quality of the roads have the most do do with the road noise. Some very warn roads were terrible, others, you couldn't even tell there was any road noise. We just turned up the radio when it got louder.

-TJ
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Do you also have the lightweight glass? = more sound
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

In concur that the road type makes the biggest difference. The worst is rugged concrete. That is just borderline unbearable. But a good asphalt road is quite good and calm.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,954 Likes on 5,212 Posts

There is a **** towards the left of the center console.

Turn that clockwise.

It generally helps drown out road noise.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 454 Posts

Honestly, its quieter than I thought it would be unless the road sucks or I am pushing the car hard. Maybe we have better asphalt around where I live. Then again, I specifically wanted lots of cabin noise and 911 experience. Definitely gonna upgrade the exhaust a little. I didnt get the bose as it defeats the purpose of the extra cabin noise (for me). Im spending the $1600 on other crap I dont need
I will also be switching to PS4S or Super Spots when tread is halfway. The pirellis are very good, but I have had overall better experiences with road noise, wear, and performance with Michelin. ymmv

PS I have never seen more than 19-20 mpg (even during break in) with >75% highway driving.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:29 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

"I was thinking that I could add some Dynamat material in those spots to reduce the cabin noise for those long highway drives as I'm not really worried about being light weight."...

You bought the wrong car. The purpose of the T is to give the driver the pure 911 driving experience and now you want to change its purpose by adding Dynamat. Really?
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Can't drive it on the highway I guess.

In all seriousness, why not just do some sound deadening? The whole point is to make the car work for YOU. That's why most of us modify our cars. The majority of us wouldn't agree with adding dynamat to a T, but it's a better alternative than driving yourself crazy over the road noise.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 454 Posts

^ This. Do it how you like it, boss. You need to be happy very time you turn the key. I calculated somewhere around $1/mile... at least. So you might as well make it the best personal experience possible.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I remembered the thread linked below. One guy documents his installation of Dynamat in the doors and then adds some deadening in the wheel wells.
I didn't read through the whole thing 'cause, well, I just wasn't interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1067...d-noise-3.html
Old 08-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car does have the light weight glass.
I can assure you I got the right car, just couldn't order it in the color I really wanted. No PTS.
There is a difference between enjoying the roar of the engine, and the drone of highway noise from the pavement through the wheel wells. I felt like I was in a pressurized can where the sound couldn't escape. Maybe next time I should open a window to see if that helps. Just a thought. And yes, the volume know was the first thing I reached for. Ha ha.
I'm going by what the trip display was giving for the MPG. According to the boost gauge it read zero. Only moved when I was accelerating up to speed.
I did push the response button to see how it worked. Instant gear match and ready to put the hammer down. Of course I knew it was to early to do that.... but so tempting!
I just got the standard black seat. I have to admit they where extremely comfortable during my 3 1/2 hour trip. Hugged me in all the right place... Like a good girlfriend should!
I know I'm going to enjoy this car a lot. It has been a while since my last German car.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I just took mine from D.C. down to Tallahassee a few weeks ago. Some of the roads south of Virginia were creating a huge amount of tire noise even in my padded C2. The next time I'll wear ear plugs - it was really obnoxious. I am not sure if padding will help you a whole lot. You might find a buddy and offer a drive in your T while you take the buddy's 911 out on one of those roads. You'll be able to gauge how much improvement you will get.

It seems as though the old roads were the worst. Perhaps you don't re-pave down there as often because you don't have freeze-thaw tearing them up.

Quick Reply: Interior noise is LOUD at Highway Speed in my 911T