Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:40 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Well $1400+ attorneys fees so far--may motivate them
Have you provided written demand upon the dealer? If not, the clock doesn't start until written demand has been presented. Send all communication by letter sent U.S. Postal Service Certified Mail.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:54 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

"Its been 60 days and I still don't have registration, license plates, a title, or anything that even proves I own the car."...not entirely true. You have a receipt (bill of sale).
Basically the dealer never had the title of the car in his hand. The bank has it. He had to use your money to pay the bank and get the title released to him. From that point forward the remaining processes will kick in.
It does take a couple of months to get this done when dealing with so many parties. He should have been forthcoming and told you this up front. That is where he dropped the ball.
Going to an attorney will not help, nor will being impatient. In another week the paperwork will be in your mailbox. Been there done that.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:10 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
The only way (if you are out of state and plan to register the car in a state that is not California...) is to have the car shipped out of the state on a car carrier.
This is not true (my apologies for saying otherwise in previous posts).

I thought it was, too; but after digging a bit, discovered CA will issue a one trip permit.

This is how it goes:
On this reference for out of state registration, there is a boxed "note." https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=

That note sez a one time permit may be issued by the dealer if he submits the paperwork in accordance with CVC 4003. CVC 4003 is as follows.

One Trip Permit(CVC §4003)

A one trip permit may be issued for a fee, in lieu of California registration, to move a vehicle required to be registered:
  • When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most direct route).
  • For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.
Why don't CA dealers use this? IMO, because the law is confusing and to avoid liability, they, instead, write it in a contract that you have to take delivery out of state and certify that event.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:30 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

I can't pile onto the wows in Cali.

But, I purchased a car in February from Florida, and shipped to my home in Oregon. ...I am still waiting (it is now basically Sept) for my title and plates. (But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.)

Bought car, paid for title/plates and (newly instituted) Oregon out-of-state-0.5%-tax... some $1,300... dealer mailed paperwork to Oregon DOT. I then made the mistake of paying off the loan... bank asked for title paperwork back (to issue 'clean title')... Oregon DOT sent entire packet, including $300 check back to bank... Bank put their hands up and sent me the packet of everything... I had to register with Oregon to pay the Tax a second time, then went to DMV to order my title and plates (and pay the fee all over again)... finally got some money back ($880?) from FL dealer on the tax they never paid, and a small portion of the title paperwork processing... I am still waiting for the bank to reimburse me the $300 title. Plates should be here by November.

Safe to say, I'll avoid buying out of state in the future. :-)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Yes, when you buy a car out of state you are taxed at the rate of your home city/state.
"Even though you're buying a car from out of state, you'll pay the sales tax to the state in which you'll register the car—i.e. your home state."
https://www.dmv.org/buy-sell/used-ca...t-of-state.php
No you'll have to pay taxes in CA (your home state); lived one state over from Oregon and most dealerships there are well versed on that aspect. They'll either just pull taxes from your home state and register it for you via their title service OR when you go do it yourself you'll pay your local DMV the taxes/fees. Only caveat has been for me as an AD military guy...when I've purchased the last 4 cars while stationed out of my home state (WA); I've registered them back in WA at the time of purchase and WA has waived sales/excise taxes on each vehicle. Nice $$ saved and go home [WA] state plates to boot!
Originally Posted by bkrantz
I suppose we should be grateful that we do not (yet) have to pay sales tax in both states, especially if CA is involved.
Yes but you'll pay one of them 99.9% of the time.
Originally Posted by n8kruger
Still no license plates, registration or title. I have to say, PCNA has not been any help. They say it's a dealer issue and they are willing to contact them for an update but that's all.

To add insult to injury, SiriusXM sent me a letter saying that my free trial has already ended.
Call Sirius XM; let them know you have not taken possession of the car yet w/plates and they should be able to extend it. They're pretty good with that in my experience.
Originally Posted by fuddman
It appears the dealer is pointing the finger at the service company they use to communicate with CT DMV. If I were you, I'd try finding out from the CA dealer (Service Manager) the name of the company they hired to communicate with CT DMV and speak directly with that service provider. I would also apprise the Service Manager of how poorly, in this instance, his staff has performed.

You have the bill of sale showing you own the car and that you paid CT $9,000. I'd take that to the CT DMV and ask them if they have, as of yet, processed any paper work on your VIN. It may be your CT paper work is in the mail somewhere.
You might be able to pry a temp tag out of them.

Good luck with it
You can call PCNA and they may be able to inquire as a 3rd party but the issue I've found often is the title servicers they use. Some are great and others will have you pulling your hair out like this one. Wife's 2016 Cayenne purchased in AZ and registered in WA was easy...AZ dealer gave me the title, paperwork about 4 days after the car was delivered and I signed a doc saying I was registering the car out of state and showing proof of my WA residence and I contacted the title service agency in WA and did it myself. About 2 months later my CPO 991.1 purchase was done the same except the got me for AZ sales tax [saying since I used their financing their policy was that they had to register it in AZ and thus collect sales tax] and AZ plates. Lost my WA sates tax deferment [military purchase out of state] as I then had and drove the car for a year with AZ plates but easy enough to transfer them vs renewal in AZ with paperwork from WA title agency (same one as previously used) plus letter from finance Co to allow the transfer. Daughter's used Audi TT this past Jan was same...dealer gave me the title and paperwork and I registered it myself and same happened a month ago with my son's used BMW 328ix....paperwork, title, receipts please and a call to the WA title agency and car done. Only difficulty I really had was like the OP when I bought cars out of CA and had them shipped to me with registration. A 2010 BMW X5 too forever to get tags/title and no temp tag from the dealer (they did give me a plate - old plate I assume that still had 4 mos left on registration when I called the CA DMV - so I drove it with that plate for almost a month it took to get my WA plates AND ALL of the sales paperwork in case I got stopped). Other time was my current 2014 Range Rover Sport which I got from an Audi dealership in Riverside CA and had shipped to me in AZ. Easy purchase much like the OP but man the registration was brutal...this was even after I told both the sales guy AND the manager multiple times to let me handle that part; they still send it through their title folks who managed to screw it up and delay it. Ended up getting two temps while my WA agency told their title service in CA what to do and inquired as to where they had sent my paperwork, and the dealership did their best to help [their answer was "we sent it to our business/title folks and once they verify all the $$ and forms for our records we'll send it to you or your title agency in WA"]. But yes the more parties in this the worse it can get.

What has worked for me as you can see above and other posters has been 1) making it VERY clear that I DO NOT want nor need them to register my car for em [when buying out of state] as I understand the process more than they do, 2) insisting that I am overnight-ed all of the paperwork needed to register the car or in the case of my daughter's car [which I flew in and drove back] that they give it to me and have it ready when I do all the paperwork 3) requesting a 10 day transit tag if I have to drive the car back myself [daughter's Audi - cost me $30] or temp tag [son's BMW - $45] so I do have something that I can use to actually drive the vehicle AND also use with my home DMV if needed, and 4) maintain a close relationship with your local DMV or title agency. I have used the same agency and the same guy there for the past 5 cars that we've bought in 2 different states now outside my home state of WA. I know his name and hell he now knows me pretty much by name and vehicles...so when I call asking for a registration quote he usually knows the situation and can intervene on my behalf if needed [both at the dealer or their title agency] and he has called to make sure things are correct and moving. That has been the most useful part of things I would say as the problem usually ends up with the title service at the selling dealership and/or the selling state DMV where the dealership has registered the car once they purchased it from prior owner or manufacturer to be sold. They often seem to not know what the rules are for the out of state buyer and are less inclined it seems to ask so when in doubt delays and errors just occur that keep your tags/registration MIA and your car sitting in your garage man.

Good luck with this and let us know...plus post pics of your car man!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Are there similar problems buying a new Porsche in your home state but, having PEC L.A. delivery?
I'm doing that & planing to drive it home from CA.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:43 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Are there similar problems buying a new Porsche in your home state but, having PEC L.A. delivery?
Doubtful. OP purchased from a dealer that seems to be ethically challenged. PEC should operate completely by-the-book.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Twin, I bought my 991 in Houston (paid cash), collected it a PEC Atlanta (I know, not exactly the same), and drove it home to Colorado. What Porsche was specific about was me bringing my DL, proof of insurance, and temporary tags (I got these from the Houston dealer). My dealer asked for a DL scan ahead of time, and sent duplicate temp tags to both me at home and to PEC.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There is hope. A supervisor from the DMV has email copies of the paperwork and is supposedly working on it. Meanwhile if I can't drive it, at least I can clean it. Amazing how much junk is coming up with the clay bar after only 2200 miles.

Name:  photo508.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  1.06 MB
Old 09-05-2018, 06:36 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Twin, I bought my 991 in Houston (paid cash), collected it a PEC Atlanta (I know, not exactly the same), and drove it home to Colorado. What Porsche was specific about was me bringing my DL, proof of insurance, and temporary tags (I got these from the Houston dealer). My dealer asked for a DL scan ahead of time, and sent duplicate temp tags to both me at home and to PEC.
Thanks,

I have insurance on other cars but will not add my new 911 until the day I receive it. I’ll see if the insurance company can get me some documentation in advance. Also will ask my dealer about temporary tags.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:56 PM
n8kruger
Racer

I'm happy to say that this long personal nightmare is over. The plates came today.

In the postmortem, the titling service initially sent in paperwork with the wrong insurance card. This was corrected on July 27, but they submitted the application for title without a signature. (They were given limited power of attorney to sign and register). I suspect the DMV tossed it out. It took a lot of phone calls and emails to find somebody who was willing to fix it.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Victory!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:04 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats...now please just drive...and keep driving your car (show us pics).

Get all that frustration out by pushing the car's limit (on track...lol).

This is an excellent thread for reference...great tips by other users on here. It is valid as it helps everyone who wants to buy a car out of state.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 PM
n8kruger
Racer

I hope it can be of some use to the community. Sometimes I feel like I'm living a Berenstein Bears book "how not to...Buy a car out of state!"
"Thanks dad, that was a very good lesson for me! May I drive it now? "

I did get to pick my son up from kindergarten and redline in first and second gear today. What a thrill for us both!

I couldn't sleep last night knowing that FedEx might come today. I stayed up and finished the paint correction and wax. (Before

Name:  photo480.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  1,021.9 KB

After
Name:  photo584.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  1,012.3 KB

Last edited by n8kruger; 09-06-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Congrats...as I said most of the time the problem is with the titling agency and folks not understanding what is needed by the out of state DMV and dealership. One party is on the wrong sheet of music so to speak and so this is the result. Glad it got fixed. Enjoy the car man!

Quick Reply: Buying out of state