Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

I live in FL and bought my last two Porsches in Illinois and the one b4 those in Georgia. Never had any hint of your issue. But Cali is a tax volcano and they can never get enough taxes to satisfy their spending wants, so what your dealer says should not surprise anyone...
Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think some dealers take the $$, and sit on it as a free loan while they float the cars financing though their lender. Don't they get like 90 days interest free on inventory?

Imagine, they get $100K or so and don't give up possession of the car for 45-60 days?

Am I missing something?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It appears the dealer is pointing the finger at the service company they use to communicate with CT DMV. If I were you, I'd try finding out from the CA dealer (Service Manager) the name of the company they hired to communicate with CT DMV and speak directly with that service provider. I would also apprise the Service Manager of how poorly, in this instance, his staff has performed.

You have the bill of sale showing you own the car and that you paid CT $9,000. I'd take that to the CT DMV and ask them if they have, as of yet, processed any paper work on your VIN. It may be your CT paper work is in the mail somewhere.
You might be able to pry a temp tag out of them.

Good luck with it
Old 08-28-2018, 12:51 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to consult an attorney, something is very odd now.

When will Porsche need to do something about dealers like you are facing and just have their own stores like some other car brand.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG
Sales tax % is paid $$ in the state the car is registered, not where bought!
Not that simple in California.

There is no such thing as a California temporary drive away permit. Which means you cannot legally drive the car you just paid for out of the CA dealers showroom - unless you cough up California taxes/fees. Don't like that? Then the dealer is legally obligated to deliver the car to you out of state.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:24 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Not that simple in California.

There is no such thing as a California temporary drive away permit. Which means you cannot legally drive the car you just paid for out of the CA dealers showroom - unless you cough up California taxes/fees. Don't like that? Then the dealer is legally obligated to deliver the car to you out of state.
What about having the car loaded on the transport company's truck doesn't qualify for delivering the car out of state?

As others have said, time for OP to get an attorney involved. Until the CA dealer feels pain, they aren't going to do anything.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:07 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer used VRT services in Irvine CA for the registration. They claim the Connecticut DMV lost the paperwork. They won't release the title to me or even a copy because it has the prior owners information.

Of course. 69 days later....
Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible for you to have asked to handle the registration and sales tax yourself? So basically as if you were buying it from an individual seller, where the seller just signs the title over to you, you take the title along with bill of sale yourself to your local DMV to register and pay any sales tax; if you had a loan, to also add the lien holder info during registration. In this case the dealer would sign the title and bill of sale over to you.

Or do dealers by law have to handle the registration themselves? just curious to know this for future...
Old 08-28-2018, 03:28 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
The dealer used VRT services in Irvine CA for the registration. They claim the Connecticut DMV lost the paperwork. They won't release the title to me or even a copy because it has the prior owners information.

I would think the new title should have the dealer's and your name on it.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:49 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by rcristobal
I would think the new title should have the dealer's and your name on it.
Unless OP's dealer didn't process the title transfer.... Based on the description of the dealer, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the title was not transferred to dealer. This is starting to sound more and more like a consignment deal.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:51 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

At this point, anything the dealer says is suspect unless independently corroborated.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:52 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Still no license plates, registration or title. I have to say, PCNA has not been any help. They say it's a dealer issue and they are willing to contact them for an update but that's all.

To add insult to injury, SiriusXM sent me a letter saying that my free trial has already ended.
Did you finance the Porsche? If so, the bank may be wondering where is the title.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cash (usually king, but I guess not in this case.) I wish I could have a bank on my side....
Old 08-28-2018, 04:55 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Did you finance the Porsche? If so, the bank may be wondering where is the title.
Even more misery for OP. The finance contract is between the finance company and the OP, not selling dealer.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:23 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
What about having the car loaded on the transport company's truck doesn't qualify for delivering the car out of state?
Nope.

In fact, I think the trucker has to submit paperwork back to the to the dealer verifying he transferred the car to you across the state line. That closes the loop for the dealer who is heavily constrained by CA law & is at risk should he be suspected of non compliance.

Quick Reply: Buying out of state