Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by goldduster
Call California DMV - Investigations asap. They 'll jump on this. The dealer has his license and bond at stake.
Wow. This is nuts. I am sure you will
work it out. Threaten them a little. That will motivate them. Idiots.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Out of State Purchase

I purchased my coupe out of state and all sales tax and registration were paid in my home state were I reside. If you have not visit the motor bureau for your home state were you live (online), i would suggest you do. Since you exceeded the 10 day registration period there may be penalties that apply. The longer you wait the higher the penalties. In CA I had to make an appointment to have my vehicle inspected with the DMV, and I also had to have my vehicle go through a smog inspection. All the information is listed online what will be required when you register your car. I was fortunate to have an out of state dealership with experience in these matters. Best of luck.

https://www.dmv.org/buy-sell/used-ca...t-of-state.php
Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased mine from NY...Porsche of Roslyn...what a **** show. Dealer advertised the car as new with the pics, and the car that arrived was NOT the same car. i had a PPI but the guy obviously understated the condition. Be that as it may, i went to my dmv with the purchase papers, they were able to look up the tax i paid and issued me a 90 day temp plate. Go to the DMV w the papers and you should be able to get temp plates as it will show that you paid already.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Say, I buy a car from a dealership in Oregon. Oregon has no sales tax.

Would I have to pay California tax, and if yes, then at what point?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Effe Quaranta
Say, I buy a car from a dealership in Oregon. Oregon has no sales tax.

Would I have to pay California tax, and if yes, then at what point?
Yes, when you buy a car out of state you are taxed at the rate of your home city/state.
"Even though you're buying a car from out of state, you'll pay the sales tax to the state in which you'll register the car—i.e. your home state."

Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Bought a used 2017 Cayenne S out of state about 18 months ago. Got a 45 day temp registration from Utah dealer while the paperwork was being processed. Had to get the temp registration extended for another 45 days by the selling dealer. Was a couple of days away from extending it AGAIN when the transfer title finally showed up from Utah and I could get it registered here in VA. Obviously I was getting a little worried as it was a cash sale and while I had physical possession of the car, I had no way to register it here in VA. A very stressful experience and while the selling dealer was OK it was had to get them to go through the effort to do the replacement temp tags and I found that repeated calls to Utah DMV and VA DMV were a complete waste of time.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

OP - sorry for your troubles as this is clearly lousy service! When the wife and I got our Rumble Bee through Suncoast, our CT license plate and registration arrived via FedEx about a week after the purchase. Post pics of the expensive garage art, keep up maximum pressure with the dealer, and perhaps give the 911 a good detail, to cope while waiting.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM
myamymy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in NJ and bought a used 911 in CA. I received the title before the car arrived. Something is fishy here...
Old 08-12-2018, 01:38 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

There's been a few of these horror stories pop up from time to time.

I would give Porsche NA a call and see if you can get an advocate to assist in the matter.

I only purchased one car across state lines and they had all the paperwork in my hands to register the car in about 5 days.

Good luck and let us know how it was resolved.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:51 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Yes, when you buy a car out of state you are taxed at the rate of your home city/state.
"Even though you're buying a car from out of state, you'll pay the sales tax to the state in which you'll register the car—i.e. your home state."
I suppose we should be grateful that we do not (yet) have to pay sales tax in both states, especially if CA is involved.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Still no license plates, registration or title. I have to say, PCNA has not been any help. They say it's a dealer issue and they are willing to contact them for an update but that's all.

To add insult to injury, SiriusXM sent me a letter saying that my free trial has already ended.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a 911 out of state and there was a delay in clearing the title which took 3 weeks but received my car 2 weeks earlier.
I dealt with the finance dept and just waited for them to FedEx it to me and I went to the local DMV to register.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Still no license plates, registration or title. I have to say, PCNA has not been any help. They say it's a dealer issue and they are willing to contact them for an update but that's all.

To add insult to injury, SiriusXM sent me a letter saying that my free trial has already ended.
Sounds like the dealership is just hoping you go away. There is no reason this should be delayed so long. Also, I've never heard of a dealership charging an out of state buyer sales tax for their state of residence. I thought the general procedure was you pay your state's tax when you register the car and get you home state title. Hate to say this, but probably time to look into getting an attorney.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 PM
WarEagle13
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've purchased many vehicles from out of state including California. My dealers did not want to hassle with registering the car out of state so they did not collect taxes or fees. The one dealer who tried collected the tax then ended up sending me a check so I could do it myself. The problem you experienced is not the norm. Your dealer should've sent you all your paperwork via fedex or other courier and let you register the car yourself. As one of the posters said, it may be time to threaten legal action.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

In this day and age, with so many dealers selling cars out of state, this is ridiculous!!! So many guys here have bought out of state cars with ZERO issues. Sales tax % is paid $$ in the state the car is registered, not where bought!

What dealer?

Quick Reply: Buying out of state