Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Middle Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks everyone - originally I did not want a red light in the rear that was not in sync, brightness wise, with the brake lights. If my understanding is correct, with this mod, when connected to the license plate lighting, it would stay static and not change brightness when braking. is this how the actual 4gts works?

I think ideally the center red lights brightness should match the brightness of the right and left lights when braking and thus matching the center light above in the black grille.

This pic, however, kind of makes it a mute point and I would be good with it either way . Stunning.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:52 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by JR1946
Hi krburrell, I also finally had a chance to install the middle light bar. Thanks for your help ... it all worked great. No codes and no other issues.

I purchased the Light Bar from online from Suncoast Porsche Parts & the pigtail plug from DeyTrade, then just sliced into the license plate wiring. Just love the look on my Guards Red 991.2 GTS! The old black trim between the taillights just didn't agree with the iconic styling of the 911 coupe ... some would think it is false advertising of a AWD GTS ... no worries for me as Porsche should have used the Light Bar on all models!

JR1946

Awesome-I want to do this soooo bad to my 911t (yes, I know its not meant for the car-but I dont care). Love the look of the single light bar at night! For me to do it correctly I would need to source a GTS bumper, the middle light, etc. Hoping to find a workaround as that would be super pricey!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 578 Posts

Polobai - The GTS has a wide body and I believe the T has a narrow body. The GTS bumper would not fit on your T.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 PM
polobai
Drifting

Yes, I am aware-I have heard that they can be made to fit (GTS is only about 3/4 inch wider on each side). If I went down this road, I know it would not be a bolt on affair and would need some fab work which I am willing to do.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:04 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 455 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy

Beautiful picture, I always preferred the .1 tail lights vs the "half" on .2 tail lights.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Not me, the tinted 3D .2 tails are awesome, especially with the light bar.
The following users liked this post:
roketman (11-19-2021)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:03 AM
hexproject
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was an easy install. Chalk!
Stevie 77 930 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Nice, and it looks like you did black out rear markers (like me)?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
Confirmed that the German version of the LED license plate light kit with both correct connectors is sold out and two vendors told me the supplier has no plans to start making them again. However I was able to find both connector ends with pigtails, Plate light and the Plate Light feed, on the same vendors site as the middle light connector mentioned above. You can just build your own harness without buying the resistors and LED lights. Here are the links to the 3 connectors required to make a "plug and play" harness.

1. Female License Plate 2 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

2. Male License Plate 2 pin feed connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...l-version.html

3. Middle Light 3 pin connector - https://www.automotive-connectors.co...i-neutral.html

There maybe other vendors out there that can supply these, but this vendor seems to be an OEM supplier to VW / Audi as you will see from some of the other versions of these connectors that they will only sell to manufacturers.
911BOSS et al. - I just ordered these three items and the light bar from suncoast. I'm a bit lost with some of the other items needed, if any?

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 12-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

911BOSS et al. - I just ordered these three items and the light bar from suncoast. I'm a bit lost with some of the other items needed, if any?
cajerseyboy,

No you should not need anything else. I have not assembled my new middle light harness, but please look at the photos so you can see the mock up and how it will go together. I am waiting until I remove my bumper can determine how long the pigtails need to be on the new harness to reach the plate light and middle light before I make my final splices.

The first photo shows how the factory plate harness connects to the two lights. You would un-plug one of the factory connectors from one of your existing plate lights and then insert the new harness as show in the mock up in the second photo. The new harness consists of one new middle light connector, with 3 wires (2 outer pins +!2V, middle pin GND), one new male plate light connector (2 pins, +12V and GND) and one new female plate connector (2 pins, +12V and GND) The middle light connector's two outer wires are spliced into the the +12V wire of both pate light connectors and the middle light's single center wire is spiced in to both plate lights ground wires. Probably no harm in leaving all the pigtails uncut because you should zip tie the harness up once you have everything working and are ready to re-install the bumper.

Hope you can see that once the harness is assembled, either soldered / shrink tubing or quality water proof but splices with shirk tubing, how it i a "plug and play" installation. The 3rd & 4th photos show the +12V (Grey) and Ground (brown) wires orientation in the factory connector. This is important to make sure you get the polarity right because all of the aftermarket connector's pigtails are all black. As you can see the +12V connection is on the curved part of the plate light connector, but I would use an ohm meter to check everything out before you connect the lights and power them up with the bumper off.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or you have any other questions.

OEM License Plate Harness and Plate Lights

Mock Up of New Middle Light Harness Plugged Into the Factory Harness

OEM +12V (Grey) and GRN (Brown) Plate Light Connector Orientation Rear View

OEM +12V (Grey) and GRN (Brown) Plate Light Connector Orientation Front View
fluguy (03-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:41 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I need to let everyone know that about 2 weeks ago I discovered that I had the wrong links in my post with regard to the 2 license plate light connectors and updated those links. They are correct now, but just realized that some of you may have may have ordered the wrong plate light connectors before I changed the links. I apologize for any issues that caused.

The correct PN from the vendor are
Male 2 pin Connector - 42062500
Female 2 pin Connector -42121600

Please check them on DeyTrade's website before placing your order.

Last edited by 911BOSS; 12-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Frank996 (01-03-2022)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:51 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Today I began the install on my 991.1 (not .2) And need some assistance. I completed the wiring shown in the diagram and video
I connected the outside (2) wires from the (3) wire pigtail on the center light, into the Grey/yellow wire that provides power to the left license plate light. I then connected the middle wire from the (3) wire pigtail to the brown ground wire on the left license plate light. The (2) wire female harnes was used to lengthen the wires and become the replacement connector for the discarded OEM connector.

When I tested the function, the license plate lights worked but the center light did not. This tells me that power is flowing through the connection but I am not sure why the center light is not turning on.

Any concerns you can see with the wiring or should I be looking at getting a replacement center light?

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2019, 12:37 PM
polobai
Drifting

Did you check to ensure the two outer wires on the plug were getting +12v? I’m wondering if the 991.1 may have a few different wiring changes from the 991.2. Before buying a new center light-try to hook it directly to 12v and ground to see if it works.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:01 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by polobai
Did you check to ensure the two outer wires on the plug were getting +12v? I’m wondering if the 991.1 may have a few different wiring changes from the 991.2. Before buying a new center light-try to hook it directly to 12v and ground to see if it works.
Good call. I could probably read the voltage within from the yellow grey wire direct from the harness attached to the car that plugs into the master bumper connector.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:33 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

I confirmed slightly more than 10v flowing from Each outside wire from the 3 wire pigtail going into the Center light. Took 2 pics of the voltage meter at different angles to confirm “around 12v”. (The meter was set to the “50” max so look at the second black row of numbers from the bottom) I’m thinking this is a bum light from suncoast who I have already spoken to and are shipping out another light.

The multimeter is set to voltage rage “50” so the voltage looks to be slightly more than the 10 mark or “about 12”.

3 wire pigtail port that was removed from the light and measured.

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 12-30-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: GTS Middle Light Install