Sponsored by:

Techart Steering Wheel - Heat Function Not Working After Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 04:01 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Techart Steering Wheel - Heat Function Not Working After Install

I have a 2015 991.1 GTS Cab. Originally came with a MF wheel with heat. Hated the button shifters and wanted Alcantara and a thicker wheel.

Sourced through Techart an OEM wheel (exactly the same config - MF with heat) - but upgraded the materials and added the paddle shifters. Looks and feels great.

Dealer installed it. Everything works on the Techart wheel (all MF buttons, shifters), but no heat. Previously depressing the heat button on the back of the original wheel gave me a message on the Multi-function display momentarily indicating heating was active/inactive. This doesn't happen with the new Techart wheel.

Dealer tech says new wheel is connected and coded correctly. He's at a loss. He did mention heat will not engage if ambient temp is too high - but he didn't think that was the issue (no mention of this criteria in the manual).

Any suggestions before pulling the wheel off and sending back to Germany to start another 8 week process?

Did send a note to Techart, but have not heard back from them.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 991.2 C2 with a plain wheel no heat. I ordered the Porsche MF with heat from Suncoast , plus the module. All MF buttons work but no heat. Dealer going back and forth with Porsche. Don’t have technical details but was told Porsche Germany asked for a dump of all software/firmware revs etc. so either a bad module or software issue. Will know Monday . Hoping it’s coding or a quick software update.
not saying we have the same issue but if mine resolves will update this thread just in case.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:42 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

had same problem with different car. Check the socket that the heat wire plugs into. Maybe the mechanic didnt even plug the wires in. Maybe the socket is not even hooked up to and voltage source. Some cars have the socket, but if there wasnt any heat to the stock wheel, the wiring isnt even in the column.
Otherwise, if all is hooked up, the mechanic may have to activate it in the computer before it will function
Old 07-29-2018, 12:14 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses.

I know (at least through the tech's word) that the software is correctly coded. The car had a heated wheel before - so connectors and software were present. Very possible it's a bad connection with the plugs on the new wheel.

Next step is to have them pull the new wheel off and reconnect/test again. If that doesn't work - need to go back to Techart.

Attached is a picture of the new wheel for those interested.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,233 Likes on 745 Posts

why both paddles and push buttons?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
why both paddles and push buttons?
I believe the push buttons are just dummies. I have Techart paddle retrofit on my multifunction wheel and that is how they work as the multifunction does not come with paddle option.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 AM
blurum
Instructor

Well my no heat problem was resolved. Something to do with the VIN not being syntaxed correctly on the new module and when corrected with Porsche support all good.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:55 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Thanks blurum. So - it was software that was corrected at the dealer?

I'm heading back to the dealer later this week to have them reseat the wheel.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 AM
blurum
Instructor

Originally Posted by abokor
Thanks blurum. So - it was software that was corrected at the dealer?

I'm heading back to the dealer later this week to have them reseat the wheel.
Yes totally a SW config issue - My multi-function keys worked and heat did not after install - I think the heat capable module needs a separate Enable code(besides one for the wheel) from Porsche (and someone fat fingered my VIN ) - Call Techart and the dealer before u go back. Although in my case it was a new module as car did not come with heat. But u need to get Techart on the line I say.
Also ask the dealer if they can get a new enable code genned by Porsche if the heat portion requires it. or that the right VIN is entered where it needs to be for the module.

Oh and that ambient temp min for heat to come on is likely dealer BS - mine activated in a hot car at 85 degrees outside. Unless its a higher threshold and the manual states it. I could be wrong.

Last edited by blurum; 07-31-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Abokor Love the wheel was on the site and can’t figure out which one it is on your car. I want the same wheel with Red accents.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:12 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i am drooling over that wheel...LOVE IT!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Ordering from Techart is not easy. The website is horrible. The best way to order the wheel and select what you want is to find a local reseller. I tried attaching the order guide that I got from the reseller to this post - but it may be too large because it keeps failing. Also - search this forum - there are a few other examples of wheels (that's how I built mine).
Old 08-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Thanks for the Info. Correct the website is horrible to navigate
Old 08-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Called a number of places that deal with our cars, no Techart dealers near me on Long Island. Also did a web search also negative.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Guzzgreg - try this guy at Techart:Dustin Liou
Sales Manager
North America
TECHART USA
1711 McGaw Ave
Irvine, CA 92614Tel. 949-436-9779
Fax 949-863-1944
E-Mail: dustin.liou@techart-usa.com