Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I be happy with a base or should I get a gts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

PTV is an option for C4. It doesn't come with it.

Yes I'm sure C4 without PTV (smart electrical diff) will accelerate just fine with more power, but with a little more drama. Completely depends on road conditions. If its perfect dry uniform rough pavement, it wont matter much.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, check your local airport to see if Hertz is renting any 991.2's

The base model from Hertz is what got me in love. Gotta say I rented it at least 15 different times (somtimes for 2 weeks). Took everything I threw at it.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
  • GTS4
  • awd
  • rws
  • pdk
  • ptv
  • pdcc
  • axle lift
  • $40K worth of leather, carbon, and stereo upgrades.
  • Stock tune and everything else 'cause of "The'll void my warranty and Porsche engineers know best".
Yep - that's me. No axle lift or sunroof though. My PDK, AWD, PSE, PDCC, PTV, RWS, PCCB, SC, full leather, access and entry, auto dimming mirrors, vented/heated memory seats do add weight, hardly to a point it matters or 'heavy' considering all the power the car has and its ability to be completely flat in corners at crazy speeds. Guarantee that it handles better than your heavenly car. A little extra weight doesn't make a significant difference in every day performance or usability, especially considering the said options are intended to enhance handling and the car has so much power. Its a car above all else for me and its ability to function as that the best it can take priority to me being speed racer. With all the options, it still handles like its very light weight. Rear steering + PDCC + SPASM + AWD is amazing.

Porsche does know best. I'm not adding Cobb tune to my Porsche. Pretty sure it was causing my 981 PDK to get into limp mode intermittently after 40k+ miles. I wont put aftermarket parts on it because I don't feel I need to. Power and handling is as good as it gets. Buying a 'base light weight car' in hopes to mod is crazy in my mind. Why not just by the car you want up front? Modding is going to be move expensive in the short and long term than just manning up and spending more money for the you want.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Yep - that's me. No axle lift or sunroof though. My PDK, AWD, PSE, PDCC, PTV, RWS, PCCB, SC, full leather, access and entry, auto dimming mirrors, vented/heated memory seats do add weight, hardly to a point it matters or 'heavy' considering all the power the car has and its ability to be completely flat in corners at crazy speeds. Guarantee that it handles better than your heavenly car. A little extra weight doesn't make a significant difference in every day performance or usability, especially considering the said options are intended to enhance handling and the car has so much power. Its a car above all else for me and its ability to function as that the best it can take priority to me being speed racer. With all the options, it still handles like its very light weight. Rear steering + PDCC + SPASM + AWD is amazing.

Porsche does know best. I'm not adding Cobb tune to my Porsche. Pretty sure it was causing my 981 PDK to get into limp mode intermittently after 40k+ miles. I wont put aftermarket parts on it because I don't feel I need to. Power and handling is as good as it gets. Buying a 'base light weight car' in hopes to mod is crazy in my mind. Why not just by the car you want up front? Modding is going to be move expensive in the short and long term than just manning up and spending more money for the you want.
Quite literally the perfect example of "great minds think completely differently..."

You are so absolutely sure of everything you claim, but your car is still not the car I'm looking for. I'm still super happy for you anyway that you seem to have exactly what you want.

The only point you seem to miss is the driving enjoyment one... Sometimes "better" doesn't equal more enjoyable.

eg: PDK is "better" in almost every measurable way. it's faster, more foolproof, can handle tons of power, but for me, it is absolutely less fun to drive, and I've driven them back-to-back. It falls short in one easy to recognize but difficult to explain metric; putting a smile on my face when driving.

Similar opinion arguments are often made against other Porsche enhancers... pdcc (feels artificial), awd (pushes into corners, less throttle steer), spasm (too firm on some roads/cars). rws (loses the rear engine feel).

My "heavenly" car isn't your car, clearly... But you really need to accept that your "heavy" car isn't my car, and it isn't just about "manning up and spending more money" (though you seem to think it is). It is quite simply NOT the driving experience I want in a 911.

Someday soon I'd be happy to spend a day at the track with you swapping back and forth, we both might find it enlightening...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:56 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I really appreciate your feedback.

Do you think a base c4 without PSM/PTV will have sufficient straight line traction in the future when going bigger turbos/tune?
Yes. That is the setup I have.

I'm not sure what you mean without PSM? All modern Porsches have PSM as standard. You can turn it off but it is still operating in the background.

You wont have a problem with any of the 911s in straight line traction. All that weight in the rear helps a lot when accelerating.

Although, I have seen guys turn PSM off, then use launch control while turning. He crashed.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

The bold portion really nails it, and is why you can't always pick a car for someone else.

For example...

My idea of 991.2 Heaven is:
  • Base car
  • Manual
  • Sunroof delete
  • simple seats
  • Sport exhaust
  • Sport chrono (mostly for auto-blip)
  • few other options
  • NO ptv
  • NO pdcc
  • NO awd
  • NO pdk
  • Upgraded DSC Sport suspension controller.
  • ECU Cobb tuned to with base turbos to achieve stock GTS power levels.
  • Possibly upgraded turbos to tuned GTS power levels.
  • Possibly upgraded front brakes if I notice any fade.
  • Ideally upgraded to a Guard lsd.
  • Used, CPO, ~$90K all in.
I see why others might see the appeal in something like this, i'll call it 991.2 Heavy:
  • GTS4
  • awd
  • rws
  • pdk
  • ptv
  • pdcc
  • axle lift
  • $40K worth of leather, carbon, and stereo upgrades.
  • Stock tune and everything else 'cause of "The'll void my warranty and Porsche engineers know best".
Yes, I get the appeal of a config 991.2 heavy, but thats not the experience I want when I get behind the wheel of a 911. I want to feel like I'm driving, and contributing heavily to the endeavor, so I would choose 991.2 Heaven.

I just ordered for my wife a Tesla 3, dual motor AWD, performance package, long range, auto-driving... 0-60 in ~3.3 seconds, and it will drive many places hands free, park itself and even come when you call it. Awesome car, completely different driving experience, perfect for her, and will be awesome for trips. And the antithesis of my 991.2 heaven car.
I see where you are coming from - However something like rear steering doesn't take away from the endeavour - for example, rear steering in cornering allows more slip angle to be achieved thereby increasing the frictional capacity of the contact patch - basically you have more grip and thus better handling.

This on its own, is a great reason to pick an S or GTS - the ability to carry corner speed and generate early corner exit speed are the key items that make a car fast and feel fast.

With regard to tunes it looks like its possible for the GTS to gain an additional 100RWHP with a tune (Cobb Stage 1 see BGB thread and ///M thread) - no need to buy turbos etc just plug and play.

In general I'm agnostic towards manual or PDK - however, I do believe its a fallacy to say one is more enjoyable than the other. What I personally find (owning both) is I enjoy both.

Basically, if you want super sharp handling you have to go with the T/S/GTS where you can get SPASM and RAS (I think thats why a quite a few people by-pass the base - not that I think there is anything wrong with the base) - better handling, braking and torque plus HP end up being pretty compelling points in favour of the GTS .

(I'm not ragging on the base - its clearly a great car).

Probably the most important consideration is simple - buy what puts a smile on your face for me that was a de-badged GTS with the performance additions.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-23-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:19 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I drove the base .2 and personally, I just wasn't a fan at all. It did very little for me, emotionally.

Even though the .2 GTS still wasn't my entire cup of tea and didn't take care of the sound issue to me, it was a far more memorable experience and package. That extra brute ish torque and just the way the GTS is adorned really gave it its character and made me not want to stop driving it, whereas with the base I practically couldn't wait to get out. It (GTS) feels like a sophisticated, luxury missile with the ability to attack any track.

Of course, it was also stickered nearly $50K above the base I drove. And at that price, no question I'd go GT3, which in turn will also save tons of money in the long run as it won't depreciate much if at all.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:47 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Probably the most important consideration is simple - buy what puts a smile on your face
Absolutely! And that clearly isn't the same for everyone...

In addition, I'd like to keep my Mezger Turbo and add the 991.2. Buying/building my Heavenly base vs searching for a well optioned .2 GTS lets me rationalize keeping both for about the same overall investment. And while .2's have plenty of rapid depreciation left in them, the Mezger Turbo is on a steady rise offsetting the combined cost of ownership and letting me play with two 911 toys instead of one.

I know it's all self rationalization, but feeding my Porsche and KTM motorcycle habit in a way that lets me enjoy the toys without huge depreciation also makes me smile, not to mention it keeps the wife very happy even when I mention there's a new 911 on its way home.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

I know it's all self rationalization, but feeding my Porsche and KTM motorcycle habit in a way that lets me enjoy the toys without huge depreciation also makes me smile, not to mention it keeps the wife very happy even when I mention there's a new 911 on its way home.
LOL I know what you mean the Porsche habit is a hard one to beat/break fortunately I self cured myself of the motor bike habit thirty years ago!
Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

This is actually a good thread. Some interesting views.

It's ok to be different. If everyone was the same, it would be pretty boring. We woud all be in one type of 911 and not 49 different types.

I spent a week in Germany in a C4 GTS. I knew from the first time I pulled a U-Turn that I did not want a 4. We don't get snow here. Its pretty much summer nine months of the year. I don't like the pull on the wheel or the feel of the 4.

So it was always a GTS (Non 4 for me). I wanted a turbo and I wanted widebody. I wanted steering feel. I almost got a GT3. But I knew as soon as they started tuning these turbo's the GT3 would date fast and be left behind.

But I appreciate the what the GT3 is. As for Porsche building them the best they can be.....HA! Kaisen. Everything can be improved upon. I don't want an RS. Yet I will put a lot of adjustable bars on my car and spherical bearings to get the tactile feel I want. I don't want RAS or PDCC. Again I want a more raw feel.

I am building my perfect car for me. Not for anyone else. Including and upgrading things I feel can make it more pleasurable for me. Every single time I speak about up grading my brakes, I hear people say, "You don't need to."

Don't tell me what I need. LOL I need to upgrade my brakes. You might putter around like Miss Daisey, but I don't. And I have run out of brakes.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I also own a 2017 r8, 2011 twin turbo r8, and other high performance cars.

I test drove a base 991.2 carrera (manual) and I thought it was phenomenal. I'm wondering though if I should just spend the extra dough and get a gts?

I figure I can buy a base and tune it (or get bigger turbos down the road if need be) if I need more power.

I love the widebody look of the gts and carrera 4 but can get a 991.2 base used for low 80's, carrera 4 used for low 90's, and a used gts for 110 to 115k..

992 is right around the corner, should I wait?

First world problems.

If you drive an manual transmission, the C2 will be enough. It's very quick and I can't imagine deriving much more out of a 911 with more horsepower and torque. If you want a PDK, that's a whole other story.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
The question should be will you be happy with a GTS or should you buy a GT3

Seriously though, it depends on the kind of person you are. In terms of capability, I think the base Carrera's capabilities far exceed those of most of us as drivers. But that doesn't stop anyone from wanting more.
I agree with this too. Not many on here can get their car anywhere near its limits i bet. ..................especially on public roads. If youre not tracking not much point in bigger brakes pasm etc. IMO.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I agree with this too. Not many on here can get their car anywhere near its limits i bet. ..................especially on public roads. If youre not tracking not much point in bigger brakes pasm etc. IMO.
I agree, we should all just buy Toyota Camrys because a Porsche of any kind is wasted on public roads.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I agree, we should all just buy Toyota Camrys because a Porsche of any kind is wasted on public roads.
Very helpful for OP.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:39 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I decided to buy a Camry. thread closed

Quick Reply: Will I be happy with a base or should I get a gts?