Sponsored by:

Torque wrench recs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Torque wrench recs

getting everything I need for oil change, looking for a good torque wrench, how accurate do I need 1%, 2%, 4%? As you know cost goes up a lot with accuracy, I will pay for it but how accurate do I need? Looking at the CDI digital.

Thx
Old 07-19-2018, 02:26 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I just picked up a pair of CDI Quick Set Split Beam Torque Wrenches, in 3/8" and 1/2" drives. According to the calibration sheets supplied with them, they came in within 3% all through the range(s).

3/8" drive
1/2" drive

Last edited by whiteducktail; 07-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

For oil changes, a cheapy should be fine. I am old school and like the beam type because there is less to go wrong, but I also have a $30 amazon special that works fine too. The advantage of the beam type is that they don’t fail the way the other type does so, although it is not as accurate, you have almost no risk of the failure to click and snap a bolt issue or being way out of spec issues.

https://m.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in...FUJADAodkIELQA

$10.79
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

These: http://torqwrench.com/tools/C.php

Precision Instruments made Snap-On’s t-wrenches until SO cheaped-out and sourced from China.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

All torque wrenches - any type and brand - go out of spec over time with use and should be re-calibrated. Usually only professional mechanics do the re-calibrations, however - primarily those working on military equipment and aircraft. Its actually more critical (if you are into that sort of thing) to do recalibrations than being concerned with a 1% or 2% variance when new. Read more about calibrations here:

​​​​​​https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-Ev...-torque-wrench
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I understand that CDI is the manufacturer of the professional Snap On torque wrenches. You can get then in a wide variety of ranges and sizes. They are also made in the USA and made completely of metal. They are individually tested and you get a card with their test result info. Mine was well within the published accuracy numbers so that was a plus. I didn't go digital since I don't see the advantage of it over the click version and the clicking one just seems like it would be more robust.

My prior Craftsman wrench has a plastic handle that cracked.

This is the one I selected:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
All torque wrenches - any type and brand - go out of spec over time with use and should be re-calibrated. Usually only professional mechanics do the re-calibrations, however - primarily those working on military equipment and aircraft. Its actually more critical (if you are into that sort of thing) to do recalibrations than being concerned with a 1% or 2% variance when new. Read more about calibrations here:

+1 i got a 3/8 and a 1/2 from harbor freight, been working fine. I am not too concerned about over or under trq a bolt by 5%
Old 07-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're just doing oil changes, cheap is fine. Drain plugs are not rod bolts in terms of the need for precision. You don't even need a torque wrench for oil changes tbh, but if you're new to wrenching I'd get one.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

While I agree with you in principal, I'm having a hard time envisioning how a deflecting-needle torque wrench goes out of calibration. So long as the needle point to zero with no torque and the main shaft of the wrench hasn't gotten thinner through corrosion, it would seem that it would retain its original accuracy, whatever that was.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Torque wrench recs