Sponsored by:

2014 991.1 Carreara 3.4 Blackstone Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:16 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 2014 991.1 Carreara 3.4 Blackstone Oil Analysis

I started tracking my car about 2 years ago. I have always used Mobil1 0w-40. I always change the oil and filter every 5,000.00 except that, after I started to track the car, I would change the oil immediately after the 4th track day regardless of mileage. I live in South Florida and I track the car at Homestead, PBIR and Sebring (warmer climate tracks). I recently decided to switch to Mobil1 5w-50 (Porsche A40 Approved) just as a precaution after reading some of LexVan's posts and sent in my first oil sample to Blackstone for analysis. Results came back good and thought I would share them for others. Editing this post to add that I have 12 track days on the car so far and I do not take it easy on the car otherwise. I don't drive like an animal on the road, but I routinely run the car to 7,000 rpm
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Blackstone.pdf (354.2 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by awrryan; 04-06-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:35 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? The recommended oil is Mobil 1 0W-40. Why did you switch? The total mileage is pertinent as well.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by smbryan
Huh? The recommended oil is Mobil 1 0W-40. Why did you switch? The total mileage is pertinent as well.
There are over 100 Porsche A40 approved oils. Not just Mobil 0W40.

There are also 3 approved viscosities:

0W40
5W40
5W50 (only Mobil's)

What do you mean by "total mileage is pertinent"? Pertinent to what? Explain. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:57 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

switched for added protection on the track during hit and humid south Florida months. If I wasn’t tracking the car, I’d stick with Mobil1 0w-40, but I’m tracking the car and it can get quite hot. It’s not so much that mobil1 0w-40 is recommended as much as it is, generally, a good oil with good viscosity for most climates; however, the oil temp can rise rapidly during warmer track events and 0w-50 is better able to handle added heat from what I understand.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:00 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I have used Balckstone's oil analysis service for 20 years on my piston aircraft engines. I don't understand the value of doing this for an auto engine. Its not like you are going to fall out of the sky with an auto engine failure. Periodic scoping and compression testing will accomplish far more in determining an auto engines wear and health.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Awrryan, very good report. I suspect with the Mobil 5W50 your Iron and Copper will drop a little. With similar mileage and interval, my Alum is just about the same as yours (3 vs 4 ppm). My Iron and Copper are exactly 1/2 of your numbers. Regardless, yours are low, and well within spec.

Only other suggestion is to add the L&N Billet Oil Drain Plug. May help further to lower your iron number. Caution, the torque spec on the L&N plug is a very low-low 19ft.lbs.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:34 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I have used Balckstone's oil analysis service for 20 years on my piston aircraft engines. I don't understand the value of doing this for an auto engine. Its not like you are going to fall out of the sky with an auto engine failure. Periodic scoping and compression testing will accomplish far more in determining an auto engines wear and health.
I hope your post is just a joke. Are you saying that it’s pointless to research the health of an engine just because it’s not an airplane engine? No: I do not think that my car is going to fall out of the sky; however, I am curious to see how “healthy” the engine is. I agree about the compression and scoping tests being useful, but so is Blackstone engine oil analysis.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:40 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Awrryan, very good report. I suspect with the Mobil 5W50 your Iron and Copper will drop a little. With similar mileage and interval, my Alum is just about the same as yours (3 vs 4 ppm). My Iron and Copper are exactly 1/2 of your numbers. Regardless, yours are low, and well within spec.

Only other suggestion is to add the L&N Billet Oil Drain Plug. May help further to lower your iron number. Caution, the torque spec on the L&N plug is a very low-low 19ft.lbs.
Never heard of the drain plug, but just looked it up and will order one. Seems to make sense. Yes. The torque is significantly lower. I think factory torque is in the 30s from what I recall. I got the track-bug really bad, but trying to pace myself. I’m up for anything that helps and I think the oil will help too. Thanks for your post and pointing out the drain plug.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:47 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

I hope your post is just a joke. Are you saying that it’s pointless to research the health of an engine just because it’s not an airplane engine? No: I do not think that my car is going to fall out of the sky; however, I am curious to see how “healthy” the engine is. I agree about the compression and scoping tests being useful, but so is Blackstone engine oil analysis.
No, I was not joking. I don't see the value that you are going to obtain in the long run. If your engine starts making metal - what are going to do? Probably nothing. If you detect oil blow by, what are going to do - probably nothing. You might order up another test to make sure the oil was not contaminated. Should the results reappear then a compression test and a scoping. On the other hand, when an aircraft engine starts making metal - you will do something because your life and more importantly your pax's lives are on the line. I am not saying the knowledge you will obtain is not helpful, I just don't see a cost / benefit. Blackstone is a great lab and and great service, however I think that auto oil engine analysis is a bit over the top. Just my opinion.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I get the Blackstone reports and see two benefits beyond just peace of mind. Keep in mind that the cost is astoundingly low at less than thirty dollars.

First, when I was running 0W-40 Mobil 1 the viscosity reading from Blackstone came in below the recommended range with less than 5000 miles on the oil. So that helped me decide to switch to 5W-50 Mobil 1. After that the viscosity readings where right in the middle of the recommended range and the additive levels were much improved too. I wouldn't have known to do this without the report, likely improving the lifespan of the engine.

Second, if the car is still under warranty it gives you an idea of whether there is a problem that should be addressed before the car goes out of warranty. The cost of out-of-warranty core engine repairs is stunning.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

I thought tracking the car can cause problems with warranty in the first place. Maybe im misreading the warranty literature.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

It's my understanding that manufacturers will always tend to list the lowest number that is safe in the broadest range of climates as the default number since it will tend to improve overall fleet gas mileage ratings a little. Like LexVan points out, they also list higher viscosity oils as an good alternative for those of us that live in hotter climates like OP's Florida (or central Texas for me), or those that are doing extended hard driving with their car. On days when it is 110 here I feel a lot better having a little heavier oil in my car.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:27 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver

I 100% agree with this. Oil analysis has been all the rage on automotive enthusiasts forums for years and I fail to understand the purpose. IF the car is being maintained properly , which I'm sure most members on this forum are guilty of over doing there is frankly nothing to worry about or better yet little to be accomplished by analyzing engine wear at that level. Cutting a used oil filter open will tell you all you need to know with a questionable , tired , worn out engine which I'm sure none of us here have if were talking 991's .

I'd also love to hear the roaring laughter at the dealership service counter when someone walks in with a Blackstone sheet prior to their warranty expiration demanding an engine rebuild!
Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

So OP started the thread to share a Blackstone report for those interested in such things. I appreciate this, it is good info for those of us interested in these. Why anyone feels compelled to s**t on his thread when he wasn't asking whether his test was worth taking or not has me once again wondering where good manners have gone.

I would say the bigger laugh would could from someone paying $35k+ for a new engine when a cheap $25 test could have detected the problem before the warranty ran out. Once the test shows a potential problem, a follow-up with a scope or whatever further diagnostic measure would be done would certainly be a prudent step.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:01 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Delete.

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 Carreara 3.4 Blackstone Oil Analysis