Sponsored by:

Is the new Cayman 718 GTS faster than my 18' C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 01:47 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I don't care if the Cayman pulls 0-60 in 1 second. It sounds like a lawnmower and I want to kick it. Repeatedly.

Yes I had an extensive test drive in it.
It may not sound like the flat six, either NA or turbo, but if you think it sounds like a lawn mower you need to get your hearing checked. If my hearing was as poor as yours, I wouldn't be jumping on the internet to give my opinion.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:53 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I don't care if the Cayman pulls 0-60 in 1 second. It sounds like a lawnmower and I want to kick it. Repeatedly.

Yes I had an extensive test drive in it.
I want to buy the lawnmower that you heard that sounds like a 718. I have a two cylinder Kawasaki engine in mine that sounds pretty stout, but one like a 718?
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 718 Cayman S (with PDK), it is my girlfriends car. I have driven it a few times and I'm fairly certain it is quicker than 3.9 0-60. After all the years I spent with dragsters I have a pretty good feel for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Considering it is a turbo engine just a bit of a tune would make it quicker than a 991.1, and since torque is what will get your 0-60 times down the turbo motor in the 718 is going to help a lot.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Gt350R

GT350R and grandsport are not in the same league although the 350 does make a nice sound. I test drove both prior to purchasing my car and it's an easy choice. As for those others, why someone would purchase a vehicle you can not see out the window is beyond me. I got one by accident at the airport and returned it before I hit something.

Originally Posted by snake eyes
They did not like the 991.2 as much they liked the 991.1. (they felt it lost its soul going turbo - and Porsche Messed with Perfection aka the 991.1) - But still recognized it as an amazing car.
991.2 S lost out to the Shelby GT350R 2nd place and 1st place was Mclaren 570S

I would not call a GT350R a hunk of junk

The 991.2 S also Lost head to head with the Corvette Grandsport C7 - They felt was more fun

Motortrend has a thing against Turbo 911 models.. They found NO fault with the 911 TURBO S but wouldn't give it best driver car this past year because quote, "IT WAS TO EASY TO DRIVE FAST" so it was too good of a car to win lol - They stated the Turbo S was "boring".
Old 12-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
It may not sound like the flat six, either NA or turbo, but if you think it sounds like a lawn mower you need to get your hearing checked. If my hearing was as poor as yours, I wouldn't be jumping on the internet to give my opinion.
Briggs and Stratton lawnmower, to be precise!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:43 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

718 is quicker than Porsche advertises too. Honestly the GTS model is just as quick as a 991.2. If they drag raced, the 911 would win slightly, but does that even matter? I don't understand why someone says 'a cayman is just as fast as a 911 so why would I spend more money on 911?' Because its a 911 and has different driving dynamics. What are you new to cars? 0-60 number doesn't tell you the full story. Its just a way for drunk people to brag at parties and a way to sell cars. NO ONE CARES.

Have you driven a 718? The throttle response is worse and its way more 'turbo like.' There is turbo lag and the whole experience is much less refined. Horrible? No, but honestly crude. I'm not a fan of the engine because it drones too much. It doesn't sound that good inside and I think think they should just make it quieter...the loaner I had was bad enough to start giving me a headache. I'd hate to have to live with it on a daily basis. Even my 981 was loud and drony at low RPMs...it didn't sound good unless you rev'd it out. If you drove it on long highways with uphills that lugged 7th gear, the drone was exhausting and now they made the new motor even more droning across the RPM range.

People need to keep in mind that these are road cars. 911 offers tiny back seats for kids or storage. Its a bigger and a more comfortable car. Its less noisy. It can have AWD. The cabin is better suited for a sound system. Things like PDCC and rear steering make it more agile and stable. It looks much better and is a well recognized symbol. Longer wheelbase and track make it much more stable at any speed. Twin turbo flat 6 responds and sounds much better than a smaller single turbo flat 4. You can even get a roof rack (sacrilege IMO).

From my observation, 911's seem to have better overall build quality. There is more attention to detail. Cayman/boxster seems to be a bit 'cheapen out.' The average person might not notice.

If all you want is a 'track car' and all you care about is driving dynamics, the smaller and cheaper mid engine cayman is often the Porsche of choice by many. In reality, people don't buy them because there is more to a car than that. If you want take it to extreme, ask yourself why aren't you buying an Ariel Atom for the same money? Porsche is good at making practical everyday usable sports cars...if you want a fun experience and don't care about anything else, IMO you should look elsewhere. The car you're looking for probably doesn't exist because many have been discontinued because no one buys them.

I recall watching the C7 grandsport vs 991.2 'head to head.' Yes the corvette won because the whole point of it was to see which was the fun and fast car. It barely won at the track because it had TRACK TIRES. If the 911 had the same tire, it would have been way ahead. Their complaint was the 911 was understeering...this would have been easily fixed with better tires or maybe even adjusting tire pressures, but they used what came with the car to be fair. Same thing applies to the slalom test. Also want to add that if the car was AWD, the understeer would have been fixed too. Keep in mind that a race car driver was driving both...the C7 is much more of handful and many would wreck it trying to reach its potential, especially on public roads, but even a novice can go fast in a 911. Nonetheless, C7 fairly won the contest and I agree with them... it is the funner and faster 'track car' and that is what they were testing for (not which car was better overall). Its also much cheaper...heck the 911 they compared the C7 to probably cost 2 times more. But who cares about all this? If your parameters for car shopping is 'what is the fastest car I can get for the least cost,' I would really question your sanity...no one buys cars like that unless they have a 14 year old mentality. The youtube comments of 'ha look the more expensive 911 is slower than cheaper corvette' are so shortsighted. Personally, I was close to buying a grand sport, but I didn't because after the initial excitement wore off, car just doesn't have the vibe I like...certain things about it annoy me and the list is too long. I'm sure many people buy one at a whim to trade it in 1-2 years later, but 911's are kept longer.

Once 0-60 times are in the 3-4 second range, its really stupid to compare. I doubt most people will even notice the difference, especially between 3.2 vs 3.4 vs 3.6. My loaded 2017 C4S does about 3 seconds with launch control and this is fast enough to make you dizzy. With AWD you can do this safely all you want, but I mostly end up using mid range throttle because that's 'comfortable fast.' If the car was slower, I wouldn't mind though its hard to go back to NA after used to low end turbo torque. I want responsive torque...electric cars win here so who knows maybe that's what I'm getting next.

So in summary, whether a 718 is faster or slower would not be a consideration if I wanted to buy one.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (05-11-2020)
Old 12-24-2018, 11:00 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Longer wheelbase and track make it much more stable at any speed.
Surprisingly - this is not true. The Cayman has the longer wheelbase. The rest of your comment is spot on!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Semitone
Pro

Briggs and Stratton lawnmower, to be precise!
I own a Briggs and Stratton powered mower. I’ve never mistaken the sound of that for the sound of the 718, or any car for that matter.

Maybe you could post a couple of sound samples otherwise you just seem like a loon trolling the forum. You must have a lot of wax buildup or some other impairment. Definitely get that checked. You’ll thank me later.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:19 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Surprisingly - this is not true. The Cayman has the longer wheelbase. The rest of your comment is spot on!
No kidding I just checked and cayman has longer wheelbase by +1 inch. A wide body 911 is significantly wider (+4 inch) and has wider tires overall (+1.5 inch front and rear).
Old 12-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Semitone
Pro

I don’t think anybody really justifies buying a 911, or a 718 on performance numbers. It’s the whole package. That includes styling, prestige, comfort, cost... Everybody's metrics are a bit different. I’m still hanging onto my 987 Boxster and Triumph TR6 and it has nothing to do with performance. I just enjoy driving them.

I chose a 718 GTS over any other model because it was smaller, cheaper to run at DE and I preferred the interior design. I could have bought any other model and had a bunch of reasons I chose that. I prefer the exterior styling of the 991.2 GTS.

Lap times are just one factor for some people. If that was the only factor for me, I would probably have a track only car.

I agree, the photo of the rear of the OPs car is all the justification one needs to make a choice.

Last edited by Semitone; 12-24-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Bemo
Drifting

I own a Briggs and Stratton powered mower. I’ve never mistaken the sound of that for the sound of the 718, or any car for that matter.

Maybe you could post a couple of sound samples otherwise you just seem like a loon trolling the forum. You must have a lot of wax buildup or some other impairment. Definitely get that checked. You’ll thank me later.

My hearing, eyesight and physical fitness are quite fine. The garage is full of NA power.
Farty turbo 4s belong in the thrash.
Perhaps you should have your ears checked? Not sure you'll thank me later though...
Old 12-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Semitone
Pro

Sorry, old timer. Didn't mean to upset you during the holiday season. Enjoy your cars..whatever they are. I'm sure they are the best choice for you.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

If I only cared about 0-60, I’d buy a hellcat. No thanks!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Sorry, old timer. Didn't mean to upset you during the holiday season. Enjoy your cars..whatever they are. I'm sure they are the best choice for you.
It is the cars, or brand, that I'm upset at, not differing viewpoints!

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:38 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
If I only cared about 0-60, I’d buy a hellcat. No thanks!
Truth.

Quick Reply: Is the new Cayman 718 GTS faster than my 18' C4S