Sponsored by:

Function-First

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
ibmiked, what sort of paint, and method did you use to fill the engraving with contrasting paint? Your shift **** looks great!
Thanks! I bought a spray can of white appliance paint at the Home Depot. After a light coat of primer first, I put two even coats on the aluminum shift **** and then baked it in the oven for 45 minutes. My wife was not at home, and has no knowledge I did this. If you keep the temp low (say 200F) then there won't be any smell.

After cooling and waiting a day I used a water based paint you can buy at any arts & crafts store to fill in the engraving with a brush. The reason you use water based is because once you fill in the engraving you can use water to clean up any areas you were sloppy. If you use oil based paint then when you try and clean up the sloppiness you also affect the paint that you sprayed on the rest of the ****. Once the water based dries and cures overnight it's very resilient, especially since it's protected by being down inside the engraved area.

Hope this helps!

PS: I also have the Numeric Shifter and with the FF **** you will not find a better shifting 7spd in a Porsche.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:34 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Thanks! I bought a spray can of white appliance paint at the Home Depot. After a light coat of primer first, I put two even coats on the aluminum shift **** and then baked it in the oven for 45 minutes. My wife was not at home, and has no knowledge I did this. If you keep the temp low (say 200F) then there won't be any smell.

After cooling and waiting a day I used a water based paint you can buy at any arts & crafts store to fill in the engraving with a brush. The reason you use water based is because once you fill in the engraving you can use water to clean up any areas you were sloppy. If you use oil based paint then when you try and clean up the sloppiness you also affect the paint that you sprayed on the rest of the ****. Once the water based dries and cures overnight it's very resilient, especially since it's protected by being down inside the engraved area.

Hope this helps!

PS: I also have the Numeric Shifter and with the FF **** you will not find a better shifting 7spd in a Porsche.
thanks ibmiked. I ordered a silver one today and plan to paint it Carmine Red using PPG automotive urethane. I’ll try your water based paint idea for the engraved part once the Carmine Red is on the ****. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Function-First