Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting an older, less costly 911 for winter use. Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an older, less costly 911 for winter use. Opinions please.

I live in New Hampshire where the winters can be harsh. I have to put away my 911 usually from November through April. I miss the car very much during the six months. I am starting to think about finding a 911 to use in the winter. It would have to be something that I wouldn’t care too much about if it got dinged up due to roads sand and salt.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the year and set up that would work best? 95% of the time the roads are clear of snow but they are covered with sand and salt most of the time in the winter.
I was thinking of an older Carrera 4. I would put snow tires and wheels on the car and store the car as is in the summer. Then I would take out my Carrera 2 for the summer.

life is too short to make compromises.

Thank you.
CB

Last edited by cpbmd; 07-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I have a video for you!

https://apple.news/AXGi2FaLsTJOWNHEy-gHNgw
Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

If it was me, I would not get a second 911 - just put winter tires on the C2 and wash it every once in a while to get the salt/chemicals off of it. I had winter tires on a RWD sports car in North Dakota through five winters and it did great. If it is so bad that you risk bottoming out, a C4 really wouldn't help much anyways.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I think a 996 C4 or a C2 with proper winter tires would be great. The AWD system in the 996 wasn't really designed for winter conditions; it uses a viscous coupling to drive the front wheels and it really doesn't offer much in terms of winter traction. I think a C2 would do just as well if properly equipped.

How about a first or second generation Cayenne S or Turbo?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:57 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider a Macan. Not a 911 but satisfies my Porsche itch when the situation keeps the GT3 home.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:57 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Buy a used Macan! Get the best of both worlds!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by KM1959
Consider a Macan. Not a 911 but satisfies my Porsche itch when the situation keeps the GT3 home.
Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Buy a used Macan! Get the best of both worlds!
Yeah, I think I would get a Macan for winter months over a second 911 (or like I said, just get winter tires and wash it LOL).
Old 07-17-2018, 12:22 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the video. I never understood it the 996 was the most despised 911. Nor did I understand that you could buy one for $25-$35,000. When I was shopping for my most recent 911 I only looked on Porsche websites. Never saw 996 or a 911 at that price. Maybe I will expand my horizons and try auto trader or Cars.com and see if I could find a 996 in that price range. I think that would fit the bill. I should also test drive a Macan.

Thanks very much.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Wow. Thanks for the video. I never understood it the 996 was the most despised 911. Nor did I understand that you could buy one for $25-$35,000. When I was shopping for my most recent 911 I only looked on Porsche websites. Never saw 996 or a 911 at that price. Maybe I will expand my horizons and try auto trader or Cars.com and see if I could find a 996 in that price range. I think that would fit the bill. I should also test drive a Macan.

Thanks very much.
A 996 would be a fun second car!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a Cayman! It is a perfect daily and winter beater. I drove mine all year back in Cincinnati. Looking forward to my first Minnesota winter :-)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in the great 603. My winter car is a 991.2 C4S. With proper winter tires it goes anywhere, except when there’s 6+ inches of snow; then you’re snow plowing. With a 996, I’d be worried about IMS problems. Just sayin’.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I have been looking for a higher miles 991.1 C4 without pasm as a winter car. I missed a super deal locally because I was too slow to go look at it. A 996 might be ok, but really for winter you want something with an electronic stability program. I will say with snow tires you can drive anything in Winter (I daily drove an Elise in Winter) but where it gets hard is when it is heavy snow that has not been plowed and then you really need something with good ground clearance and, without ESC, skidding is always a risk. If you don’t mind the corrosion, drive what you have now with snow tires in Winter and get a 4wd SUV or pickup for the really bad days.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane

If it was me, I would not get a second 911 - just put winter tires on the C2 and wash it every once in a while to get the salt/chemicals off of it. I had winter tires on a RWD sports car in North Dakota through five winters and it did great. If it is so bad that you risk bottoming out, a C4 really wouldn't help much anyways.

Well, I ride the Metro so no issues but if I had to have a winter car, it would be something I could take to the super market and park anywhere. We just had to fly out to Salina, Kansas for a funeral and rented a car. It's such a pleasure to park your car anywhere without fear of door dings. Our other car is also nice, so it's always an issue. I have been looking on BaT and there is a Beetle on there that would be great. They are monsters in the snow. I remember my friend and I driving it up a steep snow-covered grassy hill to see how far we could get up before it went into a slide. At the top of the hill was another road that was the target. We got impressively close to making it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Well, I ride the Metro so no issues but if I had to have a winter car, it would be something I could take to the super market and park anywhere. We just had to fly out to Salina, Kansas for a funeral and rented a car. It's such a pleasure to park your car anywhere without fear of door dings. Our other car is also nice, so it's always an issue. I have been looking on BaT and there is a Beetle on there that would be great. They are monsters in the snow. I remember my friend and I driving it up a steep snow-covered grassy hill to see how far we could get up before it went into a slide. At the top of the hill was another road that was the target. We got impressively close to making it.

I had winter wheel set for my previous 991s and drove them when it wasn't too nasty out. But now I use my 7 year old Infiniti FX for that kind of driving!

When I was in North Dakota, I had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Camaro Z28. I never got stuck and would drive with my winter tires by SUVs on all-season tires (and probably driving too fast for conditions) rolled or stuck in the median. I became a BIG believer in winter tires in northern climates!

We don't really get enough snow in this area to justify them but we do have quite a few days where it drops below 40 and my P Zeros start to lose a lot of traction when it is that cold.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane

I had winter wheel set for my previous 991s and drove them when it wasn't too nasty out. But now I use my 7 year old Infiniti FX for that kind of driving!

When I was in North Dakota, I had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Camaro Z28. I never got stuck and would drive with my winter tires by SUVs on all-season tires (and probably driving too fast for conditions) rolled or stuck in the median. I became a BIG believer in winter tires in northern climates!

We don't really get enough snow in this area to justify them but we do have quite a few days where it drops below 40 and my P Zeros start to lose a lot of traction when it is that cold.

When I lived in Switzerland, the local dealers stored my winter tires. Make an appointment, they ready the tire, then you pull in like a pit stop. Next spring, they have the rims cleaned and ready to change out to the summer tires. Gotta love the Swiss.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an older, less costly 911 for winter use. Opinions please.