Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Performance - Performance Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you guys run a dyno on these on a car with a tune already? Haven't been that active on here recently and don't know if I missed it!

Im guessing the equal runners and superior collector will really start to make a difference on higher hp cars running tunes even though they pick up power on stock boost power levels.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:22 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Have you guys run a dyno on these on a car with a tune already? Haven't been that active on here recently and don't know if I missed it!

Im guessing the equal runners and superior collector will really start to make a difference on higher hp cars running tunes even though they pick up power on stock boost power levels.
A little bit of a caveat, stage 1 tune which is basically for a stock car vs. a tune created with headers on the car. I don't know if a header specific tune exists yet, so potentially power left on the table with a off-the-shelf tune like Cobb stage 1. My guess is probably see most of the gain in the midrange. At some point, the flow limits of the turbos will be found and the turbos themselves will be the bottleneck. It won't matter what other mods you throw at it.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

My plan is to do the header upgrade before the cobb tune. Header specific cobb tune is in the works or will be.

Initially the ECU will adjust to the new headers, but once a specific tune is available then I will do that.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
My plan is to do the header upgrade before the cobb tune.
Might you be willing to do a few before and after videos under load? I’m particularly interested in how the headers impact sound character.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Plan is to do a lot of videos and pictures before, during install and after
Old 10-01-2018, 02:28 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD

I have with the OTS Stage 1, but as mentioned that is essentially for a stock car. A custom tune should yield better results. Also observed a pretty decent dip in the plot where target boost is reached. It's almost like an overcompensation with the WG duty cycle. My assumption is that is due to the ECU expecting spool up characteristics of the OEM manifolds? I haven't got a good answer from Cobb on this yet. We have also hit a wall with power, which I am partially speculating is due to ECU torque/power limit tables. Again, I am waiting on answers and especially looking forward to custom tuning capabilities.

To answer your second part, yes. The more power potential, the better the gains you will see from our headers. An improvement in efficiency scales with power potential.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:33 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Initially the ECU will adjust to the new headers, but once a specific tune is available then I will do that.
If you don't already know the procedure, make sure you print out the process for resetting the ECU monitors. It's a pretty elaborate process and requires a decent amount of driving to accomplish. If you have a decent ODBII reader you should be able to watch as each monitor resets. Once that is complete, you know the ECU has made the proper trim adjustment for how the engine is currently running.

We've done it both ways and found little different, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
If you don't already know the procedure, make sure you print out the process for resetting the ECU monitors. It's a pretty elaborate process and requires a decent amount of driving to accomplish. If you have a decent ODBII reader you should be able to watch as each monitor resets. Once that is complete, you know the ECU has made the proper trim adjustment for how the engine is currently running.

We've done it both ways and found little different, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Chris - do you have the ECU reset procedure?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Chris - do you have the ECU reset procedure?
Remove the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes. I will typically remove it at the beginning of a procedure just so I am not at any point sitting around and waiting.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:07 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

to clarify, i would need to reset the ECU after installing the headers to take proper advantage of the changes?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:52 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by basic666
to clarify, i would need to reset the ECU after installing the headers to take proper advantage of the changes?
You don't need to. Over the long term the learned trims will all adjust to where they need to be. Resetting the ECU and monitors will allow this to happen faster.

As I said before, we've done the reset process and just done back-to-back (stock-to-Vektor, within the hour and without resetting). Based on the amount of testing we have done with 991.2 headers I would say the results were not significantly different.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

We've had a few questions recently in regards to the collector we use. We use a rotary style collect, NOT a flat style. The rotary design will always yield better, and more consistent results, as every exhaust pulse is subject to the same flow forces and scavenging. If anyone would like anymore details, feel free to ask

Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Trying to stay ahead of the curve, we've got some more coming through production today and some sets scheduled to go to Swain Tech by the end of this week.

Check out the never-no-fit fixtures. These were all based off laser scans of OEM components (and converted to 3D CAD models) to assure proper fitment EVERY time. Fixtures are made from 3/4" thick alloy steel and gusseted to prevent movement from the welding processes. Back-purge distribution built in to assure weld quality on the inside is just as good as outside at the torch. It's the care, craftsmanship, and attention to detail that makes the difference between good and great.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Nice - can't wait to get these
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Nice - can't wait to get these
Oh man, you're getting a T... wish I had known those were coming when we got ours

Keep in mind, if you're getting the coating, it adds about 4 weeks is we don't have coated units in stock. We usually have a couple sets, but spring time often puts us in the hole. Swain Tech lead times can also get pushed out in late-winter/early-spring as the race guys are making the final push to be ready for the season.

Quick Reply: Vektor Performance - Performance Headers