Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire patching

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 291 Posts

So a few hours ago I just got back from Costco where they did the patch. I called ahead of time to make sure they would do it. They said they could do it no problem and the charge was $11. More than reasonable. When I got to Costco I drop the car off in about a half hour later I got a call from them stating that my car had run-flats and so they could not repair it. This was untrue as my car did not have run-flats. One of the techs insisted that I had run flats and he based it on the name of the tire being called P Zero. He also pushed on the sidewall and said it was noncompliant and therefore had to be a runflat. He then asked me if I had a spare tire. I replied that I did not and then he said it must be run flat tires since they couldn’t sell a car without a spare if it didn’t have runflat tires. I then explained to him that the car came with a pump and fix-a-flat gel. Finally a supervisor came over and looked the tires over and decided that they were not run flats and they went ahead and patched the hole.

All‘s well that ends well I guess.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
So a few hours ago I just got back from Costco where they did the patch. I called ahead of time to make sure they would do it. They said they could do it no problem and the charge was $11. More than reasonable. When I got to Costco I drop the car off in about a half hour later I got a call from them stating that my car had run-flats and so they could not repair it. This was untrue as my car did not have run-flats. One of the techs insisted that I had run flats and he based it on the name of the tire being called P Zero. He also pushed on the sidewall and said it was noncompliant and therefore had to be a runflat. He then asked me if I had a spare tire. I replied that I did not and then he said it must be run flat tires since they couldn’t sell a car without a spare if it didn’t have runflat tires. I then explained to him that the car came with a pump and fix-a-flat gel. Finally a supervisor came over and looked the tires over and decided that they were not run flats and they went ahead and patched the hole.

All‘s well that ends well I guess.
WOW - I started to read you post and started to feel guilty for having given bad advice initially, but was very relieved to see that everything worked out great at the end!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

They did bitch a bit and said it would be hard due to the low profile. I would have bet porsche would have not patched it and tried to sell me a new tire. Or maybe if they had patched it it would have been at least $100.

BTW I really like your wheels. Are they Porsche?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you say you lived in Philadelphia or Pocahontas Arkansas? I know they have trouble working on those sports cars in small towns
Old 07-08-2018, 02:24 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,386 Likes on 1,539 Posts

You guys are CRAZY (and lucky) taking your Porsche wheels to Costco. They do not have 5-arm machines and the risk of damage to the wheel is high. Consider yourselves very lucky if you got a clean install.....Also be aware that any patched tire should be replaced, you no longer have a speed rating on it.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What boggles my mind, Porsche spends so much money on R&D and can not find a proper solution for Tires. The roads in North east are quite bad (US), and we always have to worry about tire damage, I know it is not common, but this year alone, I had rim damage and just few years ago...My Pirelli's got ripped by those stupid metal boards they stick on the road sometimes, and I was going like 5 mph avoiding them...and still got hit.

Don't get me started on Centerlock wheels....(see all my previous threads on this)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Plug kits are the way to go. They work and hold extremely well for street use if install correctly.

If I can’t get to the hole I pull the tire and do it myself.

Worst case I bring the entire wheel and tire to a shop.

I am sick of dealers pushing new tires instead of patches or plugs. A well done repair for a hole not too close to th sidewall is perfectly ok.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default show up dont tell them you own a porsche

show up dont tell them you own a porsche just say 20 inch tires and almost any tire shop can do it. Put a plug in it from walmart before you leave, a million utube vids on this.

Originally Posted by neil.schneider

I do not have centerlocks thankfully. But again I called many places around where I live and none of them will do it. I know it sounds crazy.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,386 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am sick of dealers pushing new tires instead of patches or plugs. A well done repair for a hole not too close to th sidewall is perfectly ok.
I have had extensive discussions with tire engineers from Michelin and BF Goodrich and this simply is not true. I say this not to take issue with your opinion, but to point out the facts that any time a tire is punctured the steel bands in the tread are broken. This does two things, first no matter how good the patch or plug, water will eventually work its way into the repair area and rust the belts in the vicinity of the repair, which can lead to a catastrophic tire failure at speed (i.e., blowout). This is why any tire that is repaired automatically loses its speed rating and is not considered safe for high speed, performance driving. While this may be just fine for an old F150 lumbering down to Home Depot at 35 mph on a Sunday, you need to be aware that on a Porsche you have a compromised tire that can fail in high stress situations.

Porsche dealers do not repair tires - at least I have never found one that does. BMW dealers don't either. They're not "pushing" new tires, they have a huge liability factor in the repair were they to do it, and its known to be a temporary repair at best until you get a new tire on the car. Ask a tire engineer.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a screw in a rear tire on my 991.1-GTS a couple weeks ago. Yes I have center locks. I removed the wheel/tire and called my Porsche dealer. Yep they do not repair tires. I asked who they would recommend and they gave me the name of a local independent. Took the wheel down and while the place looked a bit humble the owner was an SCCA racer and assured me he could patch correctly & safely without scratching the black GTS wheel. They used a patch/plug that frankly was a neat technology. Think inside patch that has a solid rubber tube attached at it's center that is pulled through the "prepared" hole. He did as advertised without even the smallest scratch on the wheel. The curious thing for me was that he made a mark on the wheel & tire before dismounting and re-aligned for the re-mount so he did not need to rebalance. He said the patch weighs 3grams and I would not need the rebalance BUT if I felt any vibration come back and he would take me to a different shop for a road force balance on him. Good as his word, smooth as silk.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Within a week of purchasing my new Michelin PS2s, I had two small nail punctures in one of my rear 305s on my 997. Discount tire pulled the rim, patched the tire twice, and in two years, it hasn't lost any pressure to matter. So, try Discount Tire, they will patch it.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MHarris
I picked up a screw in a rear tire on my 991.1-GTS a couple weeks ago. Yes I have center locks. I removed the wheel/tire and called my Porsche dealer. Yep they do not repair tires. I asked who they would recommend and they gave me the name of a local independent. Took the wheel down and while the place looked a bit humble the owner was an SCCA racer and assured me he could patch correctly & safely without scratching the black GTS wheel. They used a patch/plug that frankly was a neat technology. Think inside patch that has a solid rubber tube attached at it's center that is pulled through the "prepared" hole. He did as advertised without even the smallest scratch on the wheel. The curious thing for me was that he made a mark on the wheel & tire before dismounting and re-aligned for the re-mount so he did not need to rebalance. He said the patch weighs 3grams and I would not need the rebalance BUT if I felt any vibration come back and he would take me to a different shop for a road force balance on him. Good as his word, smooth as silk.

I carry one of these in my car now along with 987 Boxster jack after getting a flat in a remote area.

The kits are on sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NE3KE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NE3KE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
...Porsche dealers do not repair tires - at least I have never found one that does. BMW dealers don't either. They're not "pushing" new tires, they have a huge liability factor in the repair were they to do it, and its known to be a temporary repair at best until you get a new tire on the car. Ask a tire engineer.
BMWs use runflats. By the time the tire has made its way back to the dealer after a flat, it is beyond repair.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim137a... I too cary a stop&go + nitrogen bottle in my car as well for emergencies. The stop&go is a good design but not nearly the technology of a good patch-plug device. However the stop&go can be utilized without dismounting the tire from wheel that is needed to utilize the patch-plug.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:46 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

You guys make a good argument for purchasing a new tire. Still I realize many people still use a patch or even a plug without issue. The tires are less than a year old and were purchased and installed at a Porsche dealership. Although they may have come with a warranty for the original owner I am pretty sure that that warranty would not pass to me.

again thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Quick Reply: Tire patching